Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 10:01   #61
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Ummm... some of these speedbreakers are accompanied by traffic lights too. For example, the one near Hulimavu. And then there are speed breakers where there is no scope for a right turn from a smaller road!
Probably the speedbreaker came first and the signal later. Thats only my guess.

In other cities..right turns are not allowed at many intersections and they have nice permanent dividers there ( atleast in chennai ). Here, mostly its some concrete blocks laid on the road..which are promptly removed by the two wheeler guys. Why the blocks, at the JPMorgan/Nokia office, we can see these 'educated' employees and cab drivers coming from Marthahalli jump over the median and make thier own road to enter into the office complex. No one bothers to go a little further and take a U turn.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:58   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Probably the speedbreaker came first and the signal later. Thats only my guess.
The Hulimavu speed breaker came after the signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Some of the humps have been placed illogically at the exit of the junction rather than before it.

A new hump has grown overnight right after Jeyadeva flyover on BTM side.

I think many of these humps have been created in order to make it easier for pedestrians to cross the road. Like the one that arsudarsan has mentioned above. Its near impossible to cross the road in front of Shoppers Stop due to steady flow of traffic.

But if that is the purpose for these speed breakers, then they dont fulfill this also. The person crossing the road would have to be a sprinter, as the speed breakers do not slow down traffic enough to let people cross.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:05   #63
BANNED

I say have 5 speedbreakers for every kilometer. Drivers in bangalore are in the utmost hurry to god knows where. No concern for other person's time and property.

Maybe the speedbreakers will teach some patience.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:12   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But if that is the purpose for these speed breakers, then they dont fulfill this also. The person crossing the road would have to be a sprinter, as the speed breakers do not slow down traffic enough to let people cross.
Amitoj, please dont give them further ideas! This brings to mind a mountain which was formed opposite Bimal Auto on the ITPL main road. Even trucks and buses needed 4x4 gear to climb across.

That said, these new speedbreakers are similar to the ones seen for pedestrians to cross on the roads of Dubai. So long as they dont beach the car, i am fine with these.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:15   #65
BHPian

I have seen this culture of speed breakers only in Bangalore. While I don't agree with "Spitfire" that speed breakers would teach people to be patient while driving. In fact, they really put me off.

Having said this, there is a very peculiar behavior in Bangalore. People will try and break the road divider and start creating U turns at will. The civic agencies would be sleeping till the divider disappears and one fine day, they would dump huge pile of rubble to block users doing it. This is common phenomenon at Inner ring road and outer ring road.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:19   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I say have 5 speedbreakers for every kilometer. Drivers in bangalore are in the utmost hurry to god knows where. No concern for other person's time and property.

Maybe the speedbreakers will teach some patience.
Even better! Dont spend any money on road repairs. Let potholes reign all over the city. That would slow them down, and save money as well!!

O wait.... we have to think of the welfare of the contractors too who are the worst affected when there is less rain. Idea!! Just give them the money, i say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Amitoj, please dont give them further ideas!
hehe. maybe somebody should tell the authorities about such things like pedestrian bridges or underground crosses.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:31   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
IWhile I don't agree with "Spitfire" that speed breakers would teach people to be patient while driving. In fact, they really put me off.
I was kidding.

Quote:
Let potholes reign all over the city. That would slow them down, and save money as well!!
Yes yes, potholes more potholes.

Quote:
O wait.... we have to think of the welfare of the contractors too who are the worst affected when there is less rain. Idea!! Just give them the money, i say!
They have earned enough for 20 generations. We need patience now.
Old 16th April 2009, 00:50   #68
BANNED

You deserve what you get.
If you can't slow down near a junction, then you get a speed-breaker - it is just that basic.

As of now, speed-breaker is a panacea for indiscipline. Maybe the cars sold these must have their suspension tuned for speed-breakers.
Old 16th April 2009, 08:32   #69
BHPian

Someone wrote about this stretch in yesterdays TOI, wonder if it gets noticed at all.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If you can't slow down near a junction, then you get a speed-breaker.
Given the number of smaller roads joining arterial roads, specially Bannerghatta Road, it is impractical to expect traffic to slow down at each and every junction. The flow onto an arterial road should be restricted and allowed only via traffic lights or slipways.
Old 16th April 2009, 10:47   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you can't slow down near a junction, then you get a speed-breaker - it is just that basic.
What skewed logic! I might as well stop and peep before every arterial road which joins a main road. After all, its the side roads which enjoy the right of way according to you.

Now, for each time i slow down, would one speedbreaker be removed?
Old 16th April 2009, 12:19   #72
BHPian

Quote:

As of now, speed-breaker is a panacea for indiscipline. Maybe the cars sold these must have their suspension tuned for speed-breakers.
I am sure even the authorities thought about it the way you think.

Just a simple question, how do other states (including metropolitan cities) manage traffic without creating such speed-breakers at every junction ?

Am sure the concerned authority need to learn a LOT from other cities.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:29   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget Speed breakers on that Jail/Hosa Rd or even the road connecting Ecity to Bannerghatta Rd, By far, The Mysore - Bangalore Highway (is it one?) has got the worst speed breakers to kill people for ignoring scientific layout and markings.
A first time driver on this stretch will surely brake hard or may even jump over at least one of these so called speed breakers (Sorry,death traps).
Even more worse are those break in the medians along the curves!!!
For heaven's sake, what in the world are the authorities trying to achieve?
So many times I have noticed the front wheel of a two wheeler on my side just ready to make that U/Right turn.
Slightly off topic but,
To add to these, we have a majority of Idiots driving on the right lane at speeds as less as 50kmph (I am talking about cars and not even mentioning those buses and Trucks), and when signalled to overtake, they turn the left indicator lamp - Nooooo, not to indicate that he is changing lanes to make way for you, but forcing you to break the rule and overtake him from left....
This is the most weirdest thing I've noticed on 4 laned Highways, expecially in KA, TN and AP......
Old 17th April 2009, 13:04   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Near a junction, the speed-breaker has to be on the arterial road, not on the main road.

In Electronic city ( road from Wipro Gate to 3M) there are two big humps near the Axis Bank ATM, reason, an arterial road. There is no hump on the arterial road, but 2 humps on both side of the junction on the main road
Old 17th April 2009, 14:33   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

I feel sorry for people who have to take this road regularly. BTW, BLR is nasty for humps. Did you guys have the misfortune of going over the ones in Jakkasandra which scraped the downsides of almost every car? Recently these have been shaved off a bit and there is some relief.
The one in front of Barbeque nation & one after Nous Infosystems have been removed. An auto unaware of this big one ran over this, wat happened next was shocking, the auto toppled and fell right over the driver. I have seen expensive cars like the civic and BMW's struggling to cross this speed breaker.

Even after removing, it is kinda of caused a rough patch.

Still remember this place how calm and pleasant it used be way back in early 2k. Now it is kinda of nightmare to even cross this section.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks