Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 14:07   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
I drive to office from outer ring road to electronic city in Bangalore through Haralur road. This is the road with the highest speed breaker density I have seen. Today I counted, There were 47 speed breakers in a stretch of 6 Kilometers( close 8 per kilometer).

By any stretch of imagination this is an overkill. This hurts the health, environment, productivity and even the world economy .

Does anyone know of any other road with a higher bump density.
The road has been widened towards the Hosa Road side, and 6 new humps has been introduced last week.

A well deserved half century in IPL season, that too with a sixer
Old 25th March 2010, 09:37   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
I stay near that place and guys I have seen so many accidents in that spot.careless driving.Even private cars do this.I can see from my balcony.
Ditto. The road is not meant for the exclusive use of cars/automobiles. In fact its name - "Haralur Road" should be indication enough of its primary reason for existence! Without first creating adequate infrastructure for the pedestrians, incl schoolkids, who depend on this sole access to Sarjapura Road, its unfair to unleash drivers who mostly cannot drive responsibly (someone on this thread mentioned 70kmph on Hosa Road!) enough to look out for other road users, and hence the speed breakers are justifiable, though they may be painful for driving.
Old 25th December 2010, 16:35   #108
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Road with 25 humps in 5 Km !

Please tell me which is currently the best route between electronic city and Sarjapur road (for a small car). We now have the elevated road to e-city, but i hear that there is massive jam on silkboard junction in peak hours.

thank you folks!
Old 25th December 2010, 19:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Please tell me which is currently the best route between electronic city and Sarjapur road (for a small car). We now have the elevated road to e-city, but i hear that there is massive jam on silkboard junction in peak hours.

thank you folks!
Mohan,

I would suggest that you still take the HOSA ROAD ( JAIL ROAD ) to reach sarjapur road with the hazzle of having to face about 28 humps, but without traffic.

The other route is simply taking the hosur road below the elevated toll way. I feel this road has become quite good with three lanes on each after the expressway was built, except that one needs to face three to four signals upto silk board. These signals can be avoided if one takes the express way.

From silk board, its a mess till about the agara junction. This is due to a small flyover being built near HSR layout.

After the agara junction, it should be OK to carry on to sarjapur road.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:07   #110
BHPian

Thank you Nandan. 28 humps is definitely better than 50 humps! Would the elevated expressway - silkboard -agara route be the better route once the flyover is complete, or the silkboard junction is a bigger bottleneck?
Old 28th December 2010, 18:50   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I live just off one of those - the Haralur Road. While the speed-breakers are a pain to drive over, I do see a benefit as well.

Let me describe the road to you.

Its a minor road connecting the Haralur Village to Sarjapura Road (and on the other side, Kudlu to Naganathapura). Its purpose was never to serve as a connecting artery between two major highways. There are no pavements, and in places it shrinks to a width of 25 feet or so.

There are a couple of villages along this, and numerous apartments etc. There's only a couple of buses coming in all the way, an many people walk to the main roads for catching a bus/auto, going to school, doing basic grocery, etc.

About a couple years ago this road was in terrible shape - some folks from our apartment and others got it highlighted in the media as well. It has since been re-tarred twice, and widened in places.

The trouble started when people - both residents of places along the road as well as those using the "short-cut" to Hosur Road - started zipping on the narrow roads - with the pedestrians occupying the sides and two way traffic that includes buses and trucks! There were a couple of serious accidents, and overall walking along this road was pretty iffy.

The numerous speed breakers were almost a reaction by the village panchayat to reduce speeds since a lot many drivers were hardly being responsible or displaying any civic sense. The roads are multi-use and motorized transport needs to respect the rights of other users. Sadly, the only way to "enforce" this is physical barriers.

People still zip in between the speed breakers, but overall the speeds have reduced a bit. I hate driving over them - but given the context in which those roads exist and are used, I'm not complaining.
Point taken. But the guys walking along the road or people staying close to the road also need to understand that a road is meant for vehicles to pass and not for standing and chatting or for kids to play etc. To me it seems like a case of doing what is easy to handle...the masses who live there or the passers and in this case sadly it is the passing vehicles. The very notion of speed breakers is wrong and if there is a foot path that people can use and a good road for vehicles to pass, that does the job really well.
Old 28th December 2010, 19:23   #112
BHPian

I myself have to commute a 15 Kilometre road (15 Kms is one way) which is pretty high tech with world class reflectors and signs but has a 16 humps for 15 kilometres and to make it even better than a roller coaster the bumps are very huge. I hate them when I'm in a car. But its fun when solo and on a bike. Reminds me of my Dirt Track and Moto-crossin days.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:10   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Thank you Nandan. 28 humps is definitely better than 50 humps! Would the elevated expressway - silkboard -agara route be the better route once the flyover is complete, or the silkboard junction is a bigger bottleneck?

Mohan,

I definitely agree with you that 28 humps are better than 50 OR even better than 29 humps for that matter.

If i were to commute everyday from E-City to Sarjapur road, i would have travelled thru the Hosa Road, provided this road didnt have so many humps.

If the relevant flyover we are talking about is complete, i would take this route, since i have to just wait for about 4 mins or a little more (if the signals are being manned) at the silk board junction. After this junction, travel to sarjapur would be very easy.

Again, how one travels from e-city upto silk board is left to personal choice, whether to take the expressway or the highway below.

i travel sometime from my office at Banerghatta road to sarjapur road through HOSA road, since the flyover at the HSR is not done.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 28th December 2010 at 20:12.
Old 31st December 2010, 22:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Mohan,

Just take Jail road. I hate to drive on this road whenever i have to travel between Hosur road and Sarjapur road because of "Hump a metre" kind of situation. But every time i reconcile. as this is the best option.

The other option of coming via elevated road is not worth it for two reaons - one the distance which is longer, two you will again get stuck in the JSS Public scholl/BDA Complex junction where flyover work is on.
Old 9th January 2011, 16:15   #115
BHPian

hi
25 humps in 5km is a lot. Really testing once patience. Cant you guys get the corporation to act on this. A hump that was built in my road was removed by the corporation guys once the owner protested against it (incidentally the shop opposite to his building put up that hump). I am sure something of that sort is required to be done here.
Old 13th February 2011, 20:24   #116
BHPian

The Adl. commissioner of traffic police admitted to me that there are hundreds of (800 I think) illegal speed breakers in Bangalore,
installed by influential people near their houses. He also said that he could/would do nothing about it, and I can't understand why.
It is not surprising though, as so many people have taken over footpaths for shops, having a garden, arranging flower pots, etc.

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 13th February 2011 at 20:25.

Most Viewed