Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2009, 15:47   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

HELP: ECR Accident!

POST ON BEHALF OF GORDON!

Just 45 mins ago I was involved in an accident on my Enfield. Was at Juhu (ex-Circle) signal. I was at the red light with a scooter ahead of me and my right side view was blocked by a bus. Anyways, the light turned green and the scooter went ahead. The moment I crossed the bus, an Autoriders Ford Ikon (breaking the signal) slammed into me from the right.

I was soo annoyed I called a traffic cop who told me to let the driver go and just take down his cars registration number and the drivers name. He told me to make a police complaint at the Juhu police station and claim insurance.

The chrome tank is damaged with a dent. Moreover, the fork is bent and the wheel may be out.

Now the trouble is that I do not know whether to make a complaint or not. Even if I do, will I get a replacement of the petrol tank. It looks like a small dent, and it seems that the insurance guys will just say to repair it. And its impossible to repair a chrome plated fuel tank. The charges to repair the tank itself is as good as buying a new petrol tank.

Help
Old 6th April 2009, 15:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics. And I took a shot of the car too.

HELP: ECR Accident!-auto.jpg

HELP: ECR Accident!-dent.jpg

HELP: ECR Accident!-fork.jpg
Old 6th April 2009, 16:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry about that Gordon.

Get your Tank "vacuum pulled" back to shape and take the issue to Autoriders.Don't get into this Police and insurance mess
Old 6th April 2009, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Irrespective of whether you file an FIR about the accident and whosoever may be at fault, motor insurance rules say that your claim with your own insurer will be honoured. Replacing the tank will mean some amount of deduction from the cost of it, as per the amount of depreciation applicable to your bike. Repairing it will mean full amount of labour charges, including painting/chrome plating, will be borne by the insurance company.

The other option would be to claim third party damages from the other person's insurer, if it can be proved that it was his fault. Takes time to legally do it, because the other insurer will fight tooth and nail to prove it was NOT his client's fault...

IMHO, go for repair, not replacement, if your results are as good as original. The dent looks too sharp to be vacuum pulled and popped out.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th April 2009 at 16:05.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:34   #5
BHPian

Thank god you were not injured

As regards to making the complaint, you should go ahead with it. His walking away from the scene just demonstrates his callous attitude.

He needs to be taught a lesson.

And BTW, luckily the damage to the bike also seems to be minimal. Hope you get it back to pristine condition soon.
Old 6th April 2009, 16:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Get your Tank "vacuum pulled" back to shape and take the issue to Autoriders.Don't get into this Police and insurance mess
Sorry to hear about your Bull.

Do you really want to claim your insurance and lose your NCB for no fault of yours???
Old 6th April 2009, 17:25   #7
BHPian

Is the car that crashed into you a CAB or a Self Driven Rental. It looks like it from the Registration plate.
It might make it more difficult to resolve or the rental company might be willing to shell out some money not to make get into hassles.

Just noticed you had mentioned Autoriders in the first post . Did you try and take up the issue with them ?

Last edited by sreedotk : 6th April 2009 at 17:26.
Old 6th April 2009, 17:27   #8
BANNED

I thought somebody crashed on the East Coast Road in Tamilnadu.
Old 6th April 2009, 17:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Repairing it will mean full amount of labour charges, including painting/chrome plating, will be borne by the insurance company.
  • What are the consequences of making a complaint?! Will it affect the driver of the Ford Ikon in anyway whatsoever?!
  • Do I get a replacement of the petrol tank?! Repairing the tank will be as expensive anyways. Denting, rechroming, painting, pinstriping and decals will cost the same. A new tank comes for around 4k.
  • What about the wheel?! It may be out.

Quote:
Replacing the tank will mean some amount of deduction from the cost of it, as per the amount of depreciation applicable to your bike.
That means I'll get the current value of the petrol tank (after depreciation). And all I've to do is just pay off the remaining for a new tank?!

Quote:
Do you really want to claim your insurance and lose your NCB for no fault of yours???
As long as I get a complete replacement of the petrol tank I have no issues.

I'd like to know a few practical answers.
Old 6th April 2009, 18:14   #10
glenn

Gordie my brother , Very sad to hear this I have seen this Bull for ages and feeling v v bad to hear this.

I suggest you write a note to Autoriders mentioning the car number and do an offside settlement but the issue lies , this car wouldnt belong to Autoriders they have vendors who they procure this car based and pay them a commision so autoriders will not carry this liability , you are in a sticky situation

Old 6th April 2009, 18:26   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
  • What are the consequences of making a complaint?! Will it affect the driver of the Ford Ikon in anyway whatsoever?!
Not much is my guess. Most taxi fleet owners pay off cops (esp. traffic cops) on a monthly basis, and the cops would not be overly enthusiastic in trying to nail them and get things done in your favour. You discovered that in the first instance when the nearest traffic cop asked you to let him go without doing his duty of registering a case. You can hurt them as much as a fly can hurt you, unless you are a minister/top cop/judge/magistrate or the close relative of one!
Quote:
  • Do I get a replacement of the petrol tank?! Repairing the tank will be as expensive anyways. Denting, rechroming, painting, pinstriping and decals will cost the same. A new tank comes for around 4k.
Assuming as per the repairer's estimate, the tank costs 4k to repair as well as 4k to replace, the insurance co. will opt for replacement, because they'll then reimburse you 4k (-) xx(10-50)% depreciation. Unless, of course, your repairer only gives the option of repairing and not replacement, then the insurance co. pays you 3.9k (cost of repair & repaint/rechrome in full - but 50% of decals cost) -- to do that, ask your repairer not to quote for a new tank at all when he makes out the estimate.
  • Quote:
  • What about the wheel?! It may be out.
Same story as above.

Quote:

That means I'll get the current value of the petrol tank (after depreciation). And all I've to do is just pay off the remaining for a new tank?!

As long as I get a complete replacement of the petrol tank I have no issues.

I'd like to know a few practical answers.
To get the cost of a new tank, you'll have to calculate how much you lose in no-claims bonus. If you're getting 60% NCB and make a claim for say, 5k, your NCB comes to zero, and you still pay, say, 2k for the tank. Repair it and your NCB still comes to zero for next year, but you pay 0.1k.

Just wondering - are you apprehensive that a repair job on the tank won't be as good as a new tank?
Old 6th April 2009, 18:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hey gordon i just hope you are fine and dont have any injuries???
Old 6th April 2009, 19:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

I just called the Authorised Service Center. They tell me that they can get the tank replaced. Says that some amount will be depreciated. Moreover, wheel and fork repairing/replacing will go under insurance too.

I'm not keeping the repairing option void, as long as I get good results and isn't as expensive as a new tank. Might as well get a new tank flawless tank instead of trying to fix a dented one.

Will go tomorrow morning to the service center. Will get some inputs on what are my best options and an estimate.
Old 7th April 2009, 09:44   #14
BANNED

Register a complaint just in case and leave it at that. Get your tank repaired/replaced by your insurer.
Old 7th April 2009, 09:56   #15
BHPian

Repairing a tank i doubt as petrol tank dent cannot be removed very easily. Give a try as chrome polish will also go off. I have similar dent in my passion. tried removing it. It was as good as a replacement so i ignored it and still living with it. It happened as my bike fell down when i parked on the pavement

Last edited by aka_iitd : 7th April 2009 at 09:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks