Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 21:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
So what happens if you can't pay the 500 dollars? Imprisonment?
Some people appeal for community service, if they can't pay the fine. Some judges stick to their decision, and won't let anything else pay for the fine. Other assign a certain number of hours of community service.Anything from helping in schools, to running errands for the elderly, anything that documents the hours put in.
Old 16th April 2009, 21:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Something positive to look at- no point added to your record. Thats the last thing you need, especially as a student.
I know there's no need to mention this, but do be cautious until everything gets cleared up. Any restrictions on driving ( such as driving with another individual at all times) ?
No, no retrictions. And I am in supervison In illinois, Not in Michigan. So planning to avoid Illinois till july 2nd. If in case need to do a chicago run sometime ,planning to drive till Milwaukee (wisconsin) and catch the bus after dropping car there with a friend.

Any other long trips will have to be around Illinois.(Upper penisula->wisconsin->minnesota and then hit south or Upper peninsula->Detroit->Indiana -> down south)

Yeah 500$ i know. that was the cost of my old car.. If i don't pay be 2nd July Will have to again appear in court.

Last edited by Jomz : 16th April 2009 at 21:59.
Old 16th April 2009, 21:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Since you are a student, do you get some free time on the weekends? The reason I ask is that if you are able to appeal for a fine-waiver, in stead you could look at doing some service in your free time. Even if its for an hour a day, you could look at wrapping things up in a few months time. Saves you money.Also helps build contacts,if there's anything positive to look at.
Old 16th April 2009, 22:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

alls well that ends well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
Count 1:- failure for not yielding
Count 2:- No proof of insurance in car.

I'm confused with the lawyer. He didn't ask me what all I did before I got pulled over- he just asked was there any accident when you didn't yield for oncoming traffic. I told him no ,and then he told he can get that dismissed.

Points to keep in Mind - If anybody has AAA insurance and if you sell your car , don't cancel it. If you buy a new car your old insurance is valid on the new car for 2weeks - till you inform AAA. My mistake I cancelled my policy.
It is illegal to drive without insurance. The cop caught you for not yielding - the fact that you didn't have insurance was just icing on the cake (read more tax money for the county).

Jomz, please be very careful while driving without insurance in the US - you can get into deep trouble. Your lawyer was rightly worried about you having not gotten into an accident - the opposite party would have milked you dry very easily.

Regarding what you say about AAA insurance, that statement might not be valid in all states, so better to check before hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
What happened to your cousin? If he lives nearby couldn't he have gone to court for you??
A lawyer's a better bet than a cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
1, Failure to yield left - dismisssed
2, driving without insurance - 500$ fine (there goes my new tyres) and on court supervison till July 2nd. No points will be assessed if I complete supervision without any tickets.
Good for you - you got off easy. Guess, getting a lawyer helped after all. Good foresight on buying new insurance before your case went before the judge. That will save you some bucks!
Old 16th April 2009, 22:06   #20
BHPian

Summer starts 2 weeks from now and I'm totally free. Till august. REcession has hit even the summer jobs.

I don't know whether points on my record would have hurt - because I'm not getting a job and am preparing to leave US by Dec. The car is insured till Dec, and only when i renew- the premiums go high right??

But if situation turns around and if I get a job, maybe no points on the license would help. But I don't know if that'll happen and when that'll happen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks