Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 14:14   #1

Opel Corsa Sail windscreen damaged

Hi,

I've been owning a Opel Corsa Sail for the last 3 years and has done around 18000 km. The car is a GREAT car, especially on the highway. I have been getting an average mileage of about 13kmpl. All is well until the point you need spares or maintenance. My gosh, the spares are very expensive.

On my recent trip to a close by city, a tree branch fell bang on the roof of my car while driving. I had a dented roof & a smashed windscreen. I was lucky to get away without any injuries. The car is in the workshop undergoing repairs.

My questions are as follows.
1. Unless the roof alignment is good, the windscreen would not seat well, resulting into eneven pressure on the glass and possibly cracking it as well. My question is, whether the GM workshops have the necessary training/expertise to seat a windscreen well.
2. Now that the roof denting work has been done, would its strength be compromised and would it be safe.
3. What would a good re-sale value that I should be expecting if I decide to dispose this for a new car.
4. I am looking a Diesel Sedan. Which are the cars that I should be considering for a budget of around 7L.

Thanks in advance.
Prasant.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:16   #2
BHPian

sad to know the damage..

GM service centers are equiped to fit the Windscreen and this case may not be the only case, they must have already done several windscreen fittings.

just make a note to them to fit it properly else if it damaged due to bad service you will not pay for it again to replace and they should replace it free of cost.

for Re-sale value you may not get more than 1.5 to 2 lacs max since this is a discontinued product.

For 7 lacs you may consider Swift Dzire Diesel, Ikon Diesel, Logan Diesel, Indigo,

If you stretch little more you may get Linea, Fiesta and you can also consider Safari, Xylo, Scorpio for additional 1.5 to 2 Lacs

-MUKE
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Note from the support team: Thread moved to right section.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
sad to know the damage..

GM service centers are equiped to fit the Windscreen and this case may not be the only case, they must have already done several windscreen fittings.

just make a note to them to fit it properly else if it damaged due to bad service you will not pay for it again to replace and they should replace it free of cost.

for Re-sale value you may not get more than 1.5 to 2 lacs max since this is a discontinued product.

For 7 lacs you may consider Swift Dzire Diesel, Ikon Diesel, Logan Diesel, Indigo,

If you stretch little more you may get Linea, Fiesta and you can also consider Safari, Xylo, Scorpio for additional 1.5 to 2 Lacs

-MUKE
Hi,

Thanks for the update. Would it be possible for you to reflect on the point 2 in my original mail please (the point of the safety/strength)?

After my experience with GM, all American cars are a big NO NO!!! For that matter, I have understood that if the car is not selling too well, you would need to pay through your nose to maintain it, even if the car is a 'BEAUTY'!!

As per my study, Dezire is the best VFM. What's the waiting period for the car now?

Thanks,
Prasant.
Old 24th April 2009, 06:38   #5
BHPian

if it is a dent then there should be no issues with safety once the workshop fits it.
Regular occurrence. Am assuming the side pillars are not damaged badly.
I would not worry about the safety aspect after the repairs. Just ensure that the glass fitting and sealing is done correctly when you take delivery
Old 24th April 2009, 09:24   #6

Hi,

Thanks for the update. No there is no damage to the side pillar. However there is significant damage to the front (driver side) one.

Prasant.
Old 24th April 2009, 13:12   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That would have been a scary incident, especially if you were at good speed. Glad no one got hurt. How about posting pictures of the car? Will help us give you more pertinent advice.
Old 24th April 2009, 13:57   #8

Hi,

I was travelling at about 65KMPH and then I head this loud sound. And then I realized that my windscreen is damaged and there was a dent on the roof. It was about 6.45PM. I realized the extent of damage, and how lucky we were, only after I stopped the car and saw the tree branch lying in the middle of the road. In fact it took almost 15 to 20 minutes before the branch was cleared and the traffic started flowing normally.

I drove the car back to Hyderabad - straight to the workshop with the damaged windscreen. It was about 100 km from Hyd. It took us almost 3 hours to do the trip back.

I was travelling with my wife, she was so upset about it that she did not allow me to take a photo of it. So sorry about it.

I am expecting the car back today.

Thanks,
Prasant.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thank your heavens that nothing happened to youand your wife. About the fitment, all A** are equipped to handle these things. The roof aligning and denting will done to perfection. Though the colour matching cannot be guaranteed (after painting). Don't worry about it. The resale value of GM cars is not much as MSIL/Myundai cars. You may get around 2~2.2 Lac for this car. Ypu can check here New Cars, Used Cars, Buy Cars, Sell Cars, New Car Prices, Used Car Prices - CarWale.com . The diesel sedans currently avlbl in your budget is Dzire/Linea/Ford Ikon/Logan/Indigo etc. Take the test drive and then decide.

Last edited by snaronikar : 24th April 2009 at 18:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks