Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Seashore Garden@Mahabalipuram-Thats Why Indians Are Not Allowed-Local Discrimination?

It was a tough week full of stress and we [wifey and me] decided to while away time on a long weekend close by the city, so thought we would stay at Mahabalipuram [mahaps for short] some 60KMs from Chennai. It was a easy drive, visiting some temples on the way, some real old not so popular ones, and we reached there at sunset. My idea was to photograph the Shore Temple on a fullmoon day and I was planning to go alone or with a friend, but wifey insisted we stayed there and i will have a lot of time to do so then. So I made it a point we go to the shore and find some shack to stay, before about 7pm. I went to Hotel Sea Breeze and found that there were no sea facing rooms, but only deluxe suites that were sea facing and the fare was a bomb. So I decided i check out some others that are neat sea-facing at least.

Found this place while walking along to SeaBreeze and back, called "Seashore Garden Hotel" they had properties all along the beach side,
must be some local biggo's property I guess, just a few yards from Moon Rakers walk east towards the shore, and you see this property to your right side. Some orange paint and looks like a shack on the front and has 3 rooms in one building and if you enter from the beach front a further 200 feet away to the south, there is a large garden scape and some 10 rooms and another property adjacent with some 15 odd rooms, all cramped in the fishermen's colony. Damn i don't know why i decided to stay there at all, but the guy spoke like a genuine brat and told me to take a big room for about 1500/- which i bargained for 1300/- and I paid him 1000/- and left to the shore temple to photograph the monument.

When I came back, the A/C was not working, I told the guys, [no room boys FYI] all some local fishermen boys, wont even understand a single word thatta come outta mai mouthha!

He said in some fishermen language Tamil, the A/C will work after 10PM, now due to power problem it seems to be low voltage, I was waiting for the 10PM mark, it was darn humid, sweating like hell, right on the shore, hot and sticky. NO A/C still, the damn thing started to fail and the fans were off either. Now n power and it is about 12AM, I get frustrated along with a Doctor from amchi Mumbai from the next room with Mother and family, pleaded to switch on something that will allow them to sleep. I was asking that half asleep fella inside the motor room, when do you think power will resume, I see some other places near by with power, it did not look like a black-out, he said, must be a fuse is gone. So there was no power backup, no one to take care of a blown fuse, virtually hell.

The next day morning, still no A/C but the damn power was resumed, I was waiting to see the face of the man who gave me the room. here comes the menace, he claims when i asked him about the power failure and A/C failure - "I told you nah?" that A/C may or may not work!!

So I ask him why the hell did you take a A/C charge from me then when a NON-AC was about Rs.750/- only? He said the room was a AC room, and he is not responsible if the fuse blows out. I say I want my money back, he says you can leave, U have to pay me Rs.300 more, i say NO way, you give me back Rs.250, this is a NON A/C room.

He starts to exclaim "this is why we do not give rooms to INDIANS", I tell him politely, dude, you are not supposed to talk like that, I'm right here from Chennai, and If you would have told me this AC wont work i would have gone home back. Moreover, the foreigner is helpless and that is why he wont bargain or argue with you fellows, that does not make him anyway superior because he looses his money to con men like you, so watch your words.

He gets busy, tells me to leave if I do not like the place, so politely I left the place leaving the keys hanging on the door, not bidding good bye to any one, 'coz i did not have much luggage, I just packed up and left. I did not pay the Rs.300 nor make fuss about it further.

The guy had given be a stale receipt without no name of the property, no bill number nothing, just a blank receipt, with amounts filled Rs.1300/-
I know if the bill book had a copy, he will be liable for that Rs.300 shortage and wanted him to learn from his mistake of taking it easy. And atleast he learns not to give false promises to guests the next time on.

Please avoid this place, what i learn is, the place is new and does not have a very proper electricity connection, and seems to have periodic outages, must be the property does not have much of legal support.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mahabs has started to become a haven for these phoren junkies. Remember the episode during a Team-BHP meet at Moon Rakers ?
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:02   #3
BHPian

Yeah i wanted to mention that too, John.
Serious issues, Chennai guys are "soodu parties" [hot headed], dunno when there is going to be a big problem that's gonna pop up with this issue, I read in some Banglore guy's blog the same treatment in Pondy, I read they have a rope tied on the shore, with a board sign that reads "no Indians allowed beyond here" - is that even legal to block a sea shore passage and call it private? If I remember right it is called Muthu Resorts I guess.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

They should go the full distance and have every one "phoren" - the people working there included.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:40   #5
BHPian

@condor - LOL man the owner comes in a "Veshti" and removes it in front of the guests in the parking lot, and roams around in a "pottapatti drowser" [a vertically striped cotton shorts] and wishes the Gora Women! then changes over to "Beloved Lungi"!!

Last edited by MillionSwords : 23rd April 2009 at 16:45. Reason: link aded
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Could have locked and left with the key
Old 24th April 2009, 11:22   #7
BHPian

@jkdas - atleast they have the duplicate keys i suppose. Anyway i was in a peaceful mood and did not want to retaliate. Just left with the mood of nice times we had @ the place and wanted to leave these bad memories behind. Just wanted to make sure these guys do not get to cheat a fellow TBhpian.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was in chennai , mahabalipuram for the past ten days from 12 April 2009 to 22nd April 2009 , and i had quite a different perspective. I was there on work and will be abck again on 15th May for another month.

I was put up at Silver Sands, resort three kms out of mahabalipuram, service athough not sterling was at ok levels. On the days the power was out they ran the ACs on the captive generator, even if i was the only guest in about five cottages that they had . And no they did not have that attitude - this i found / felt while at MoonRaker once. Butthe moment i stepped into any of the shops the vibe ( phoren) was very evident.

The A/c room was charged at Rs 1500 per day and had a fridge , a big bathroom and yet another open air bathroom .

Only issue i felt there - no non.veg food, and no covered car parking.

one thing i found absurd was the 40 kmph speedlimit on ECR , agreed for safety but to be frank i did not find eventhe TVS Champ guys adhereing to the limits. Why make such limits wich non one wants to follw and at one point i was over taken by a highway patrol car when i was doing around 80 kmph in a 40 kmph zone. And i found him at the next eatry before kovalam stopping for lunch .

Last edited by hellstar : 24th April 2009 at 12:02.
Old 24th April 2009, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Outside the mahabs panchayat area, it is fine.
Old 24th April 2009, 12:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well I too had a lousie experience at this place called Golden Sun and Beach Resort in Mahabs. I swore to never go back there again and stayed at Ideal Beach Resort.

If any of you chaps are travelling to Mahabs stay away from this place.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Well I too had a lousie experience at this place called Golden Sun and Beach Resort in Mahabs. I swore to never go back there again and stayed at Ideal Beach Resort.

If any of you chaps are travelling to Mahabs stay away from this place.
Its the gora crowd thats been taken for a ride here.. and in front of USD or Euros, no one even wants to be seen with INR in hand. With so many bad experiences, I would say stay away from Mahabalipuram itself. Atleast, lets ( tbhp-chn ) stop going there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks