Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:46   #1
BHPian

Toll near Bellur cross on BLR - Hassan road

There is a toll booth just before Adichunchugiri, before Bellur cross on the Bangalore Hassan road.

There was a bridge built and the toll is supposedly collected for this bridge.

What I found is that the license to collect the toll has expired in Oct 2007. The toll being collected is illegal. Looks like the locals are hand in glove with the people who are collecting the toll.

I came to know about it last October and since then am not paying toll. I just keep driving. There are two humps as you approach the toll booth. I slow down but I just keep driving.

I must have passed by since last October at least a dozen times. The person reaches out with his hand and when he realizes that I am not paying, he just takes it back. Not once have they tried to stop me or shout at me.

How I came to know about this is that a driver that I once took with me last October on this stretch told me about this. He had given a ride to one of the person's manning the booth and that guy had told him this. Since then he also stopped paying the toll fee of Rs. 5/- (Rs. 7.5 for two way for the same day).

I have decided that in case he stops me, I will demand for the contract license to be shown wherein it is clearly stated that he can collect the toll.

Request all of you to publicize this and also not to pay the toll unless he is ready to show the authorization to collect the toll.

Regards
Ravi.
Old 23rd April 2009, 20:52   #2
BANNED

Please complain on NHAI's website.
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:10   #3
BHPian

Thanks for your suggestion.

I checked out NHAI's website and have sent an email to chairman@nhai.org

Will wait for the reply.

Ravi
Old 23rd April 2009, 21:26   #4
BHPian

I too was told that they contract for toll collection has expired long back & they are still collecting money quite some time ago & was not paying whenever I passed by there on my way to hassan.

But off late, since Oct 2008 (or so), the board there says, "Toll collection on behalf of PWD" (and not that contractor) and they give a receipt with a govt seal on it.

Even I am curious about this since I've seen them collecting this 5rs at this place since eons. Am sure a few billion zillions has been collected by now considering the traffic on this highway now. The toll was probably decided some 20-25 years back with some predicted increase YOY in the traffic but the growth in last 5-10 years in our country has been tremendous (in terms of road traffic) and hence they should have minted money by now. A valid case to question the move to collect money even now under the RTI act according to me.

If there is someone from the press here, it could be an interesting topic to be dug up. Anyone from TV9 here?
Old 24th April 2009, 11:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have traveeld zillion number of times in this route, Have never paid to the morons, I either take my car to extreme left and push off , or if they have blocked the left corner I make sure I never pay the toll fee to them. They have been illegally minting money from past 10-15 years just because they constructed on Bridge, though the contract has ended long back, they always renew the contract for no reasons.
How much money they would have made till now.
Old 24th April 2009, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

I travel on the road regularly and I used to pay toll earlier. I did not know why they were collecting toll in the first place, since the road was always in bad shape. Sometime back they had also increased the toll rates to Rs 7.50 or 10 (i think) for cars.

From the past year, am not paying toll. I was told that the license had expired and the contractor was not given permission to collect toll again. Also now since the road is being widened for a four lane highway by the NHAI who is this guy to collect toll.

Even KSRTC buses are paying toll. I don't know why??
Old 24th April 2009, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Dint know about it, like a moron have been paying all the time i pass by

Next time onwards i wont...
Old 24th April 2009, 12:54   #8
BHPian

I too paid for the same e weeks back and thought that that may be a private road :(
Old 24th April 2009, 12:57   #9
BANNED

Those manning the toll booths are blessed by the humble farmer. Advise you guys not to mess with this scum.

How do i know? one of friends got into an altercation with them. Unfortunately for them he was a son of a sitting MP from Maharashtra. So they compromised.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

The humble farmer has spread his tenticles every where. Now only govt should bail the commuters out.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

For that to happen one must hope that humble farmer does not become part of the government !

Last edited by kannan666 : 24th April 2009 at 18:58.
Old 24th April 2009, 20:55   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the info. i too have paid them many times (5 Rupees i guess). Atleast i know now it is not a legal one. Road after and before that toll booth always has been in bad condition and was used to wonder, for what the toll they collect is used. Mostly, i got the answer now.
Old 26th April 2009, 22:50   #13
BHPian

No one from the press here? who can bring up this topic in the media?
Old 29th July 2012, 14:02   #14
BHPian

Re: Toll near Bellur cross on BLR - Hassan road

Are they still collecting toll here?
Old 29th July 2012, 21:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toll near Bellur cross on BLR - Hassan road

Just came back from Kukke on this road today, they are now collecting toll with full fledged toll booths (Lanco) but then the roads too are a far cry from what they were in 2009, roads are now redone and four laned.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks