Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 12:32   #1
BHPian

Have you ever been Stranded on Highway with your car and with family?

To Bhp Mods - please delete/move this thread if this is a un-relevant thread.

This is the thread to know the experience if anyone Stranded on highway with their car and how they reacted to it?

This thread may help many to stay precautions if stranded on highway with their car and family.

1. In which car you stranged?
2. Which location?
3. For what reason and for what problem you stranded with car?
4. What time it happened and is it with family?
5. How you managed to come out of this?
6. What is the learning from this experience and what precautions to be taken during this time?

-MUKE
Old 24th April 2009, 13:34   #2
BHPian

No response to this thread shows no one stranded on highway anytime?

i remember i stranded on highway in our old HM Ambass due to radiator boil, but we continued our journet after 1 hour but there is no more such cases in latest cars.

It happened during our trip to Tirupati.

-MUKE
Old 24th April 2009, 13:42   #3
BANNED

oh well, I was stranded alone enroute to Pune when my front left alloy wheel I was stranded en route to Pune from Hyderabad with a broken alloy wheel on a Sunday evening in the middle of nowhere.
thats the short and sweet of it. the detail is a big story. will create a separate thread when I garner sufficient motivation.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

A long time back me along with my Mom and Dad got stranded near Thural on a hinterland highway in Himachal. It happened when his official Ambassador developed funny noises in its gearbox after going over a rough patch at a moderate speed. The time was around 7 pm on a winter evening. We could reach our destination by taking lift to the nearest town with a night bus service which was Bilaspur in this case (a good 3 hrs away) and from there took a bus home. It was a good learning adventure.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:20   #5
BANNED

Happened to me in 1990 in Scotland. Driving from Inverness to Edinburgh the centre carbon in the distributor of my Peugeot 205 packed up. Luckily we were only in the outskirts of Inverness. Walked over to a nearby hotel and called the AA. As informed they came in about one hour. The chap towed us over to the Peugeot dealership, and with his excellent relationship with the dealership we were able to buy a new distributor cap for £5. We replaced the cap and then drove on to Edinburgh. Having AA membership proved to be a real boon.
Old 24th April 2009, 15:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

Yup, Yup Yup and Yup
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ew-thread.html (Nightmares and Dreamscapes : A trip to remember : The new thread)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...t-repairs.html (Of breakdowns and midnight repairs)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...breakdown.html (Breakdown!)
This one is not of stranding, but of getting thumped straight to the hospital
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...t-thumped.html (Got thumped)
Old 24th April 2009, 16:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes...I had a nasty accident near Nelamangla around 2 years back (but not I was not with family). Had to drop the vehicle RNS Motors yeshwanthpur and return back home. But we continued the journey in my friend's car.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

I was stranded (grounded would be the right word) for a few hours.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...-fell-off.html (My Bolt fell off !)
Old 24th April 2009, 16:48   #9
BHPian

I was stranded near Kolhapur when we were driving from Mumbai - Chennai in 1999. the car was Premier Padmini and the problem, Battery was not charging. The consolation , it happened (head light became unusable around 6:30pm) right in front of a workshop, who could fix the problem.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:04   #10
BHPian

Got stuck 2 times so far. Car was a Baleno in both cases
One was with other T-bhpians going home after a meet. My headlamp relay failed at about 8pm on a Sunday night, roughly 120 kms from home. Called Maruti hotline and Onroad service guys came, ripped out my dash and replaced the relay with my AC relay (they did not have a spare).
Time taken was about 2 hours with a paltry Nokia phone as flashlight.
Charged Rs 100.

Second time was on Christmas Day, visiting a relative. Keys fell into the car's boot just as I slammed it shut. I didnt have a spare, even at home. Called MOS again and they said that they were attending a case and would be able to reach only after 2 hours. They came after 2 hours, opened car via the front wheel well by shorting the central locking.
Time taken (on Christmas Day), 2 hours wait, 30 mins work.
Charged Rs 100.

MASSIVE respect for Maruti Onroad Service.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

yes for almost three 3 hours in our esteem around 8-10 years ago.
i was a kid and i accidentally locked everybody out with the key in the ignition.
we called a mechanic and he removed the rear curtain glass and got inside.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:39   #12
BHPian

Has happened to me twice -

- First was in 1990's with my mom, dad and sis in a Premier President in the Chambal valley. Was the weirdest thing ever - the muffler choked up and the engine wouldn't start. It was late in the evening and was a lot of fun!

- Second was in a carb M800 (Driving from Bangalore to Goa) a couple of months ago. The car had been given a water washing the previous day and the guys swapped the connections on the ballast resistor (thus bypassing it) and my CB point got fried in the middle of the highway. Didn't have a spare CB point set and had to wait a couple of hours for the nearest shops to open.
Old 24th April 2009, 18:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
My story is fresh and in Bangalore and I was stranded for well 3.5 hours . Yesterday I was coming from Whitefield and going towards J.P Nagar and just after crossing Marathalli bridge by car's clutch failed in middle of road. With the momentum of car I was able to take left side and parked on the road Just before Staples, Infront of Yo China restaurant. Time was around 2 PM in the scorching hot afternoon. Here are my sequence of events

1. I called my regular service person in Mandovi and got reply "This is an invalid number".

2. Called landline (nobody picking).

3. Tried Bimal's numbers. One of the number one gentleman picks and said due to elections in Bangalore all Service shops are closed today. But he gave me MOS number ( 080 3989 1515).

4. I called them they were very gentle and said you are near Pratham Motors but only two guys are on work for calls so they will take 3 - 4 hours. He said, I called Bimal(Mahadevpura, Whitefield) and they will reach you in 15 minutes.

5. He gave me Bimal's service engineers number. I called them. I did not take Pratham's number as MOS informed me they cannot come before 3 hours.

6. He asked so many questions and then said we will come only after 30 minutes and advised my why are you not calling to Pratham.

7. I told them they are busy they would not come early. I asked him do you Pratham's service guy's number he denied. I said ok come. He said it will take another 30 - 45 minutes. (time increased)

8. I was waiting for 20 minutes then again I gave them a call whether they are coming on not, to my surprise he replied "Saar call Pratham we have got an extremely emergency call from MG Road, I have to attend there, it will take 2 - 2.5 hours me to reach to attend your call". I was shocked. I said I am also in emergency and stranded in middle of road. He said I cannot help.

9. Then again called MOS and he said Pratham's people are busy and told him Bimal's service guy's reply (Bimal are the worst). He said he will talk to them.

10. I get a call from Bimal's person "Saar take Pratham's service guys mobile number and now he can come early than me". I was surprised initially he denied that he is having Prathams service guys mobile number.

11. Called Pratham's service guys he said he is attending call in HSR Layout would come in 1.5 hours. We then took lunch in Yo China!

12. After waiting endlessly for total 3.5 hours, Pratham's service guy came and they made Job Card and I handed over my car to them for towing. We took Volvo bus to J.P Nagar and was tired completely.

BIMAL AGENCY PEOPLE ARE HOPELESS. I shall never go to them for any service.

Last edited by anujmishra : 24th April 2009 at 18:03.
Old 25th April 2009, 11:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Got stuck 2 times so far. Car was a Baleno in both cases
One was with other T-bhpians going home after a meet. My headlamp relay failed at about 8pm on a Sunday night, roughly 120 kms from home. Called Maruti hotline and Onroad service guys came, ripped out my dash and replaced the relay with my AC relay (they did not have a spare).
Time taken was about 2 hours with a paltry Nokia phone as flashlight.
Charged Rs 100.

Are you using 100/90 W bulb now. If so did you face any headlight related issues later?
Old 25th April 2009, 12:57   #15
BHPian

This incident happened when I was a kid and should be around early 1980's. We had Premier Padmini and had gone to Akkalkot (near Sholapur, Maharashtra). We were returning back to Sholapur for a night halt from Akkalkot and its pretty late in the night. Don't remember how we got so late. It was past 11:30 or mid night I guessed and gear lever fails somewhere and we are still around 20kms away from Sholapur. It was pretty lonely and of course no street lights. Not knowing what to do now, we just waited in the car for some time. Then came a Horse cart or "Ghoda Gadi or Tonga" and we request him to get our family members safely to Sholapur. He agrees as a good samaritan and offers help. Me and my father stayed with the car and decide to sleep inside car and see what can be done in the morning.

After sometime, we heard knocking on the glass. We opened the glass and there were 2 drunkards standing outside our car. They were not totally "out", but we could smell the liquor. The guy said that he is a mechanic and offered to help after hearing our story. We were in dilema on what to do, but decided to let give him a try.

The guy sat behind the steering wheel and requested my father to sit beside him in the front. Asked the other guy with him to go his home and tell them that he will come home late. Started the car and plays with the gear lever for sometime. Sometimes gentle with the movement and sometimes very rough with it. Finally, the car gets into some gear and this guy drives the car for next 20 odd kms in that same gear and gets us to the place we had planned to stay.

He mentioned a name of the garage where we can ask for help in the morning and get the car repaired. According to him some linkage had gone weak and should be replaced.

My father offered him thanks and some money for helping us out, but the guy refused to take money and left.

I will never ever forget this experience where 2 good people came to our help. The Tonga guy also did not take any money from our family when he dropped them in Sholapur and ensured that they are safe at place we had planned our halt.

take care and drive safely

Most Viewed