Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2009, 06:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore: One More Reason To Get Stopped

So I was driving sedately at 40 kmph, enjoying the sudden and unseasonal mild weather, when I was suddenly flagged down by a cop at the Cubbon Road - Empire junction. I got out and waited for him to amble over. When he shows up, he tells me that my headlights are illegal. I reasoned with him that the company sells them this way, and despite my pleas to them, they couldn't replace them. He appears to be senior, and (thus?) grasps my logic. With a "Goodnight" (!) I am sent on my way.

Only to be stopped 300 metres later at the stadium, opposite HAL's corporate office. There I was again questioned about them lamps. I told the guy -- let's call him cop 2 -- to radio his boss who was at the other end of the road, and he confirmed that I was free to go. So I left.

Only to be stopped by another guy precisely 3 metres ahead, again for my headlamps. I try to tell him that 2 of his colleagues have already let me go -- maybe I should now carry a letter signed by them. By this time cop 2 can see the large rear end of my car, and has discovered an unusually large exhaust sticking out of it. He then pounces on me gleefully, asking me to rev the car, muttering race-gaadi. I oblige him and throttle the car -- oh mileage! No sound beyond the ordinary comes. Again, he asks me to rev, and again I do it. With my lovely Remus exhaust, the sound is only very slightly over stock, and I am safe! Very disappointed, he lets me go.

My friend, however, is not so lucky. Cruising along at 40 kmph, he gets stopped similarly. Luckily, his aftermarket Xenons were off, and he is not asked about them. He gets away with a fine for an aftermarket exhaust -- HKS. Best of all, they tell him that he's lucky to look so old and respectable, or they would have caught him for drag racing. This, to a nice fellow who was driving alone at 40 kmph!

So, B'lore boys, avoid Cubbon Road on Fri/Sat/Sun nights after 10 pm or so, especially if you have HIDs or loud exhausts. Or be prepared to pay a hundred bucks.
Old 26th April 2009, 08:06   #2
BHPian

Were you having your HIDs or really your stock headlights??

I guess, unless you switch to HID or The bulbs with white light you dont have a problem with the cops. Cos, i am running my car with a relay and 90/100 Philips rally bulbs, but they look stock from outside though brighter. I feel thats a solution to better lighting without getting noticed

BTW, Bangalore cops dont need a reason to charge you, they just see some minor thing or the other just to put a fine.
Old 26th April 2009, 08:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Best of all, they tell him that he's lucky to look so old and respectable, or they would have caught him for drag racing. This, to a nice fellow who was driving alone at 40 kmph!
keep the reading glasses and some white hair color ready for emergency use in the car
Old 26th April 2009, 08:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Guess it is again the month end thing!

But yes, it is good that they are looking at the aftermarkets HID's. Some people are so unreasonable that they travel full time on high!
Old 26th April 2009, 09:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

otherday on ORR came across couple of cars with HID's i guess those headlights were very bright and very distracting for oncoming vehicles..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

But yes, it is good that they are looking at the aftermarkets HID's. Some people are so unreasonable that they travel full time on high!
Old 26th April 2009, 09:55   #6
Team-BHP Support

Around 10.30 pm cops stop me on airport road.

I park the car, pull hand brake, about to get out.. A senior officer standing there, just outside the door.

He - Excuse me respected sir, your papers! (Wow!! I love my gray hair)

Me - What papers?

He - Sir, your RC book. (I pass him the RC book photocopy)

He - Sir, your DL? (I give my license to him)

He - Sir your headlamps are too bright! (not really, they’re only 90/100 Philips rally)

Me – And your roads have no lights.

He – But sir, they look like xenon light! (man! I’m impressed)

Me – You know about xenon light but not it’s character? Have a look at it properly. (I switch off the headlamps. Parking light in the housing is enough to see all nook and corner inside the housing)

He – Sir, those bumper lights? That’s illegal.

Me – Really? Why don’t you talk to GM for their design flaw?

He – Sir, where are coming from? And where are you going?

Me – From office. Going home. May I leave now? I’m hungry.

He – Ok sir, goodnight (he gives me my papers back. He’s eyes are gleaming. His associate has stopped another car.. A Zen with deep exhaust note and thumping audio)
Old 26th April 2009, 10:19   #7
Team-BHP Support

I pity the audi A4 owners. bi-xenons with white LED's.
Old 26th April 2009, 10:34   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. Cubbon road is part of my daily commute. I have seen cops stationed at manipal-end and hal-end but never been stopped. I have aligned my xenons lower than factory setting just to be a good citizen. but I guess I will have to resist the occasional empty stretches on cubbon road.
Old 26th April 2009, 13:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

this is their drive to curb street racing. Was in the papers earlier. Noble cause but they are misinformed and lack enough car knowledge.
Appreciate their effort though
Old 26th April 2009, 13:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Do not follow vehicles if they are taking a turn where there is no free left turn when signal is red and no vehicles from other end. You would be surprised to find police hiding and jumping in front of the series of vehicles.

I did the mistake when taking the left turn at HAL Airport road signal towards marthahalli. Paid 100 Rs fine.

I see that police checking is very high nowadays, maybe effect of recession and election.
Old 26th April 2009, 14:08   #11
BHPian

Its good in a way, ppl here drive with their High beams!! don't know for what joy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
this is their drive to curb street racing. Was in the papers earlier. Noble cause but they are misinformed and lack enough car knowledge.
Appreciate their effort though
Old 26th April 2009, 14:33   #12
BHPian

Ha ha ... What SKODA,AUDI and BMW people will do ? will they ask Company to replace all the HID in Indian Version. Or may be the Vehicle owner are to powerful that police will never dare to touch them.
Old 26th April 2009, 14:46   #13
BHPian

A similar thingi happened to me last night.
Fortunately I did not consume any kind of alcohol . First checking at the Empire, church street. They let me go.
The second one was near Windsor manor, at this place a lot of people were caught for drink and drive case. They let me go here too.
The third was near IISC police station and I was like "Oh god, not again".
Lucky for me they dint check for the exhaust note.

In checking like these the cops only look out for drink and drive case.
I have never seen the cops check for the exhaust or the lamps.

And that left and right turn thing at the signals, I have happened to notice that too.

About the high beams, its so irritating when the on coming car is on high beam. Sometimes I wish I had extremely bright HID to give it back to them.
Old 26th April 2009, 15:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Cops catching the HID duds is good news. There are morons here who drive with xenons in High beam all day. Particularly one idiot in a 'tuned' CRV who has xenons in his high, low, Fogs, and an additional lamp in the bumper. All 6000K, on all the time from evening, blinding everyone else on the road. Wish someone would bash up the car one day.

But fining guys with FFe's etc is pure nonsense. as long as there is no rash driving, what is the provision under which they fine you??
Old 26th April 2009, 15:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Cops catching the HID duds is good news. There are morons here who drive with xenons in High beam all day. Particularly one idiot in a 'tuned' CRV who has xenons in his high, low, Fogs, and an additional lamp in the bumper. All 6000K, on all the time from evening, blinding everyone else on the road. Wish someone would bash up the car one day.
I believe fining is not the solution. Instead of they should ask them to remove the light immediately. And tow then vehicle if there is no optional light.

Most Viewed