Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 12:49   #16
Senior - BHPian

thats scary, hope the occupants got out safe. I am sure toyota would do an independent study on why this car caught fire. But the reasons could be anything, too early to explain.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

I too read it in the TOI morning. Having owned one back in 2003, I very much doubt it on some chinese gadgets that got installed in the car. Many electronic/electrical stuff available in the market today are way below the average standard. Also there is a chance the owner wanted some insurance money. Anyway, we are curious to know the truth.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Saw many postings about the low quality fittings that would have got added, but how many time we have come across the incident of a car catching fire while driving. In all such cases you will see a locally installed LPG or natural gas kit as the culprit. With a high quality vehicle like a Toyota ( I feel they are), manufacturer should look in to the cause even if it is a one off case is my feel.
Old 30th April 2009, 14:57   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Hey did the flames start from inside the cabin or from the engine bay?
Binz, to me it looked like the flames started in the engine bay and quickly spread. There was a lot of thick white smoke coming from the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That cop must be brilliant. He has found the reason for the fire even before it was put out. Genius.
lol! I'm sure he was! I politely hinted to him asking him what would happen if the car explodes? People were standing too close to it. Looks like he didnt understand.

From the outside the car looked like a stock car, cant say for sure what caused the mishap

Last edited by Gregory : 30th April 2009 at 15:03.
Old 30th April 2009, 15:04   #20
BHPian

Everybody got out safe, they happen to be my Sis-in-Law's friend's family.
The occupants aren't sure about the reason either. It seems it started fuming first & got engulfed in no time, luckily they got out as soon as the fumes started.
Old 30th April 2009, 15:21   #21
Team-BHP Support

Apart from a short circuit. There is one more possibility. If the fuel lines are cut/chewed up by say rats, then fuel will leak spill onto the engine bay where it is very easy to catch fire.

I think this happened with another team-bhpians Zen.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Apart from a short circuit. There is one more possibility. If the fuel lines are cut/chewed up by say rats, then fuel will leak spill onto the engine bay where it is very easy to catch fire.

Correct! This does happen often when the hose pipes are cracked and unchecked by owners. Happened in our family. Luckily water was around
Old 30th April 2009, 21:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Vid, I think you are right on the fule lines getting chewed up by rats!! I experienced this problem with my earlier car Hyundai Accent. Now also, I have noticed rats running away when I approach my Honda City. I have also read somewhere that the design of the NHC is such that there are lots of openings below the front side of the car where rats can come and get inside. I get paranoid and keep opening my bonnet to check whether everything is alright. I stay in house which is surrounded by vacant sites on either sides and there is no way I can prevent the rats from coming except by keeping rat poison around my car. Any suggestions or help in overcoming this issue? Comments from feloow BHPians are most welcome.

Regards,
Sridhar
Old 1st May 2009, 10:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Before asking Toyota to check quality, I believe that its the customer's fault. Generally they go to shops for fitting in various accessories and other electrical fitments. As we all know most of the shops are not well equipped for anything more than joining a few wires. But with sheer lack of tools and skills, these shop workers do all the installing job and other stuff. Quality of their job is very, very bad. Go to any local shop and see that how roughly they handle things with mentality " I have done this, my work is over ".

So here I suspect that the owner must have gone in for some sort of installing or modification in the car from these ill equipped shops.

This is not the only car to go up in flames. We have many other cars too and mostly when a car goes up in flame, its short circuit to be blamed.
Old 1st May 2009, 10:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
For that matter, no car is. But did you hear any such complaints about Toyota in this country?
Toyota too recall many in In many Country even in India. Please Google, will get lots of link. Even they sell some cars engine which was in kept in dock for a 1 year.
Old 1st May 2009, 10:56   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Toyota too recall many in In many Country even in India. Please Google, will get lots of link. Even they sell some cars engine which was in kept in dock for a 1 year.
I don't need to google. And what exactly you're trying to prove or say? Are you saying it was one of their defective car? I really don't have any reason to believe that. And that too because of an accident.

Taking from your point, all manufactures have some problem or the other. That doesn't mean every single car facing an accident like this is a manufacturing defect.
Old 1st May 2009, 11:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering how no one has said the fire is because of the LPG tank. I guess people have presumed that a guy driving a Corolla will not have LPGfied it.
Old 1st May 2009, 15:16   #28
BHPian

You guys cant blame toyota for this! atleast in India, toyota has the best customer support and some of the best build cars! They care for the customer unlike skoda or honda.
This was a just an accident. Could be rats, or faulty wiring, bad ice installation? cant tell.. The car looked like any other stock corolla from the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I am wondering how no one has said the fire is because of the LPG tank. I guess people have presumed that a guy driving a Corolla will not have LPGfied it.
I was sure it didnt have an LPG kit.
Old 1st May 2009, 16:08   #29
Team-BHP Support

Toyota were once termed as fire prone after few accidents and then the resulting fire, when Innova' were launched was discussed in TBHP also IIRC.

I guess this is just a freak electrical accident, if it was petrol then it would be flames then smoke!
Old 1st May 2009, 23:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Taking from your point, all manufactures have some problem or the other. That doesn't mean every single car facing an accident like this is a manufacturing defect.
You are correct Rudra. None of all the car manufacturer can not produce 100% non-defective car. This also a possible that this is one of the defective car that they manufactured. We cant ruled out possibility. Basically I dont wanna support this Toyota Company blindly which many people does ... (No personal attack)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks