Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 21:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Use Gati they are very very good.
Old 5th May 2009, 01:15   #17
BHPian

Why not ask someone to ride it to Kalyan and I'm not joking.
Enticer is pseudo-cruiser. very comfortable.
Old 5th May 2009, 11:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Or you can get it shipped through some truck transporter ! I had got my car shifted atleast 4 times across cities using them. They will load it in the container (bikes usually come in between spaces between cars) , however they will be unloaded outside the city -- in this case in new mumbai (cant remember the name of the place) from where you can drive down or they they will drive down to your desitnation. They can also transfer in small truck, but that will be costlier. Check those packers and movers as well. Car transportation from Bangalore to Ambarnath costed around 5k
Old 5th May 2009, 11:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have transported my trusted Pulsar 180 DTSi four times in the last 4 years. Here's the feedback:

June 2005 - transferred bike to Goa from Kolkata by Gati. They charged Rs 3000. Bike reached 4 days after promised date, with a broken sidelight, bent sidestand and exhaust.

April 2007 - transferred bike from Goa to Kolkata by Rail. Charged Rs 1200 (which included Rs 100 palm-greasing at Goa station). Bike reached Howrah station in perfect condition, bang on date.

July 2007 - Transferred bike from Kolkata to Ahmedabad by Rail. Charge Rs 1500. Again, bike reached in perfect condition and on time.

September 2008 - Transferred bike from Ahmedabad to Kolkata by office courier. Charges dunno (office pays directly to the courier guy). Bike reached with half of the packing gone. Subsequent start-up revealed that the bike had been standing in deep water for some time during transport, as water had gone into the engine. Engine oil came out milky white!

Moral of the story - Stick to Indian Railways. Cheap and Best!
Old 5th May 2009, 12:06   #20
BHPian

Hi Amit ( tanwaramit)

Actually my final destination too is Ambarnath, I mentioned Kalyan since its more known by everybody in the forum . Which mover & packer did you use while transporting from Bangalore to Ambarnath ?

Hi predatorwheelz,

How many days did it take by railways ?
Old 5th May 2009, 12:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
Hi predatorwheelz,

How many days did it take by railways ?
Revention,

Time taken depends on the frequency of trains between the 2 destinations, plus the time taken for journey.

Goa to Kolkata was a bi-weekly train, plus 2.5 days journey time. As far as I remember, it took them around 10 days.

Kolkata to Ahd was a daily train, plus 2 days journey time. It took less than a week.

Theres another catch. If you dont collect the bike on the day it has reached (they will give you a call), railways starts collecting a storage fare @Rs 105 per day for keeping the bike in their godown.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 5th May 2009 at 12:26. Reason: Adding further information
Old 6th May 2009, 11:03   #22
Senior - BHPian

I used some contacts from my dad, who got the car transferred, actually it was my car + household stuffs all in one Truck (whole truck for my use), it reached next day in Ambarnath outside my house, though getting the car out of truck was very tough as we had to search for some place to get the car out (of some height or inclination)

Do let me know if you need some details on that.

Option 2. I used services of containers to ship car from Mumbai to Delhi (around thrice), they picked up the car from home, took it to Kalamboli, from there loaded this in container, and dropped outside city from container, then asked me to either pickup myself OR they deliver at home.

You can contact any of these containerwallahs, since Toyota must be sending its cars from Bangalore, there would be plenty of them available outside Blore. You need to goto Yeshwantpur and can get the bike loaded in front of your eyes. However if in Kalamboli any of your friends/relatives can pick it up or they can drive down to your home.

Though for bikes, rail is also good option, I just explained option used by me for the car.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:23   #23
BHPian

I have got mixed responses.
So most probably I will be trying GATI ... ( tough call )
One advantage is home to home delivery and I can track the shipment

Ashish
Old 6th May 2009, 16:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

A suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revention View Post
I have got mixed responses.
So most probably I will be trying GATI ... ( tough call )
One advantage is home to home delivery and I can track the shipment

Ashish
Ashish,

Feel free, Its your baby. However, one more point I forgot to mention earlier. Gati does not offer home delivery in small cities where they do not have an intra-city transport fleet. I was told this after my bike reached Goa, when I asked them to deliver it. I had to travel 8 kms to their warehouse to collect my bike.

I dont know how big a city Ambarnath is, but I'm sure it isn't big enough to have a Gati Intra-city fleet. Do verify this before you use their services.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:10   #25
BHPian

When I spoke to them last , they did say that they can take it to Ambarnath.
I will confirm that again.
Else Railways zindabad !!!
Old 7th May 2009, 20:05   #26
BHPian

I got the NOC today, so ready to ship!!!
Would be doing packing myself with things like bubble wrap etc..
I guess the important parts to cover would be RVMs, headlamp, fuel tank, exhaust.

Or are gunny bags still a better material for packing... ?
Old 7th May 2009, 20:21   #27
Team-BHP Support

Remove rvm and tail light glass pack and carry with you separate. Headlight bubble wrap and cover it up with gunny bag. If you are using gunny bag ensure you pack cloth, paper or straw inside to make it shock absorbent. Seats also please cover up to avoid any accidental tear of rexin.
Old 7th May 2009, 20:24   #28
BHPian

Also one more question...
I will be transferring that bike in my brother's name.
But I already have a insurance in my name for this full year.
So will that hold good or I need to transfer that in his name too ?
Old 7th May 2009, 20:49   #29
Team-BHP Support

Insurance has to be transfered to owners name in India. Its a simple job with a few signature from your side.
Old 7th May 2009, 21:02   #30
BHPian

I guess it needs to be done just before my brother gets it registered in Kalyan.
And I hope my personal presence is not required , i.e I can just sign the required papers and send them to my brother.

Most Viewed