Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2020, 20:32   #76
BHPian

Re: Transporting a two-wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here is a video in which you also get an idea of the pricing:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=T5yRXc_fTv0

I feel its going to be expensive for high end bikes, but there is no better and safer way your bike can reach from Bangalore to Chandigarh compared to the two wheeler pallet of VRL. I think though riding might be cheaper, you still will carry some risk to yourself and the bike, and hence I feel VRL is a pretty good option.
Thank you very much audioholic. This has made it crystal clear and made making my decision very simple.
Old 20th June 2020, 14:18   #77
BHPian

Thank you all for the advise and personal messages in getting the transport of the bike managed. Being an expensive bike we were a bit apprehensive at the beginning but VRL did an amazing job. The cage was big enough for the motorcycle (BMW R1200GS) to fit in with the top box also. It was well padded and the cost from Bangalore to Chandigarh was Rs 17500/- odd.
They reached Delhi in 3 days and another 2 days to Chandigarh which I think is very quick. The truck could be tracked with a GPS link which is a cool feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Transporting a two-wheeler-04e77a0dd20a472a96b00487172d8e62.jpg  

Transporting a two-wheeler-img_4579.jpg  

virkdoc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2021, 04:23   #78
BHPian

Planning to do a road trip to Kashmir and Zanskar from Chennai. The problem in transporting the RE Electra is its RC book is on my dad's name. Is it okay to transport it by luggage or parcel by train or will I have to look for alternatives. One alternative is carrying a suzuki access as it's on my name but it won't do Zanskar.

Will I run into issues with railway folks if the RC isn't on my name ?
Old 5th April 2021, 12:17   #79
BHPian

For Bike transport from Bangalore to Pune.
Sharing quick reference information.
VRL logistics.
Shankar 9379015377. Back up number of Dabaaspete hub 9343555004
He sits in Hubli and manages bike transport.
Bike will be loaded from Dabaaspete off Tumkur road & unloaded at Phursungi Pune as both are hubs equipped to handle bike pallets.
Price for 150-250cc bike is approx 5200/- excluding Insurance & packing.
Daily service.
shaikhmimran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 19:28   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

So recently we shifted city from Mumbai to Bangalore and were traveling by train. While most of our luggage went by movers&packers, we decided to take the bike with us on the train as luggage. Having done this a few times over the last 15 years (Pune - Chennai, Pune - Jamshedpur, Mumbai - Chennai), it was an option I was quite comfortable with. The process is extremely streamlined and quite reliable (to an extent).

Here's an outline of the steps taken up by me.

Step 1: Decide if you want to opt for luggage or parcel.

Luggage option applies if you are traveling on the same train the bike is being sent. If you have a choice, this is the better option as you have better control over your vehicle. Works even better if you are boarding and deboarding at the first & last stops of the train.

Parcel option applies if you are not planning to travel on the train but just send the bike via train. You might not get the choice of the train or the exact date of the travel but still the system works decently.

We opted for luggage as we had a direct train with confirmed tickets and were traveling on it.

Step 2: A day (or two) prior to the date of travel, land up at the luggage/parcel with the bike. You need to empty the fuel tank of the bike and get it packed up. There will be 3rd party guys ready to do this near the parcel office to do this for a fee.

Step 3: Pay for the luggage charges and get a receipt linked against your PNR. You get auto alert sms of the package booked against the PNR. You'll need duplicate copies of the ticket, an ID, RC & insurance copies. The bike will be moved to a storage room right next to the counter. The luggage charges for my RE Interceptor came to an economical ~2500 Rs for Mumbai-Chennai transport.

Step 4: Land up atleast two hours before the train departure time and check your bike has been moved to the platform along with all other parcel/luggage. Being there helps - you can ensure the bike is loaded properly with due space given, etc. Again you get an auto sms alerting the package has been loaded on the train.

Transporting a two-wheeler-screenshot_20210702191629_sms-organizer.jpg

If you have opted for 'Parcel' option instead of 'Luggage', there isn't a guarantee on this - it depends on the overall goods being sent that day and probably a factor of luck. About a decade ago, I had opted for 'Parcel' option to send a Kinetic Honda from Pune to Chennai. After ~2 days and no vehicle at Chennai parcel office, I went back to Pune station to get an update and found my vehicle still lying at one of the platforms, all packed up. I finally had to bribe a porter to make sure it was loaded on the next train to Chennai.

An alternative is to get step 2 & 3 & 4 done by 3rd party agents who will add additional charges on top of this. I opted for this as I didn't have the time to go over the above two steps. They also ensure someone is there to ensure the bike is loaded properly. My bike was properly packaged and loaded on the train by them.

Step 5: Once you land at the destination station, you have another 6 hours to get your vehicle out of the luggage/parcel office. After that you will be charged by the hour. Get your luggage receipt validated and you'll get a gate pass. Depending on the station, you'll probably have to pay a small nominal charge to the guys who will insist only they can remove the packaging and 'walk' the bike to the gate. Which is what happened at Bangalore this time as well as at Chennai parcel office a few years ago.

Transporting a two-wheeler-20210628_130306.jpg

Step 6: Figure out a nearby petrol bunk (or carry it in advance with you). For me another individual who was sending his activa from Bangalore to a different destination had just taken out a liter of petrol from his scooter - I quickly paid him and filled up my bike with it.

And I was out of the station, in less than 30 minutes. The bike is fine except for a loose rear-view mirror which I got tightened at a nearby mechanic. Zero scratches, no dents or any visible damages. Overall the process has improved by leaps and bounds as compared what I experienced over a decade ago. In the past, I have moved my Pulsar through movers & packers and it was a mixed experience - the cost wasn't very high but the bike had clear dents & nicks. Since then, I have moved my Pulsar, my Enfield, a cycle through the luggage option and I haven't had a bad experience till date.
ninjatalli is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 18:59   #81
BHPian

I have to transport a Honda Dio from Bangalore to Mangalore. Train parcel service is a good option however looking for other options as well.

Checked with VRL Logistics and was given a quote of ~Rs 4500. Are there other reliable operators i can check with?
Old 19th October 2021, 14:12   #82

Train is the safest & quickest option to Mangalore. My friend had transported his Activa to Mangalore from Bangalore in train sometime in Feb 2020. He incurred a cost of Rs.1300/- including packing & transportation. Since there are many daily trains services on this sector it reached the next day. there are other transporters like Gati & Agarwal who transport 2 wheelers. VRL's cage service is good & a safe way.
pradeep_v_k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 08:52   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Is it okay to transport it by luggage or parcel by train or will I have to look for alternatives.
Quoting myself, I recently transported a scooter from Chennai to Chandigarh by the parcel option. The actual cost of transport was 2704 rupees (for any vehicle above 60cc -upto 200 KG weight). The packing is done by an authorized contractor of the railways who has an office inside the parcel office premises. The cost of packing and draining fuel is 400+ GST which comes up to 472 rupees. The loading porter asked for a 200 rupee tip/ bribe whatever way you see it. Otherwise the railway employees be it the billing guy, RPF and the marker at the storage office were helpful and no bribes were asked or given.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 23:59   #84
BHPian

I have booked a confirmed ticket for myself on a Bangalore-Howrah Duronto express in June, and I intend to carry my bike with me as luggage. I will be visiting Bangalore station 2 days before the train to book my bike as luggage against my ticket, but do I have to pack the bike and leave it at the station that day itself? Or can I just book, make the payment, come back home, and then take my bike with me to the station on the day of the journey, say 3 hours before departure?

Asking because I came across ninjatalli's post below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Step 2: A day (or two) prior to the date of travel, land up at the luggage/parcel with the bike...The bike will be moved to a storage room right next to the counter.

Last edited by boniver : 23rd April 2022 at 00:00.
Old 23rd April 2022, 05:32   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I have booked a confirmed ticket for myself on a Bangalore-Howrah Duronto express in June, and I intend to carry my bike with me as luggage. I will be visiting Bangalore station 2 days before the train to book my bike as luggage against my ticket, but do I have to pack the bike and leave it at the station that day itself? Or can I just book, make the payment, come back home, and then take my bike with me to the station on the day of the journey, say 3 hours before departure?
You can do either of the options. If the latter, check with them what time the train arrives at the platform and they start loading. Some places/trains might start even 4 hours in advance. Also give yourself and the railway guys time (~45 mins) to remove petrol and pack up the bike.
Old 28th January 2023, 06:58   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
You can do either of the options. If the latter, check with them what time the train arrives at the platform and they start loading. Some places/trains might start even 4 hours in advance. Also give yourself and the railway guys time (~45 mins) to remove petrol and pack up the bike.
Thank you for the information, can you kindly clarify on the below queries, if you are aware?
1.Is it mandatory to book bike as luggage 2 days prior travel date?
2.cant it it be done on the date of travel say if the train is leaving in the night? The reason being this could work for tatkal tickets as well.
3.can a top box be left on the bike during parcel packaging?.
4.The bike in question is an interceptor, i would think it needs atleast 3 litres of reserve fuel for the FO pump and how do you drain fuel from interceptor?

I intend to travel to delhi but need a stopover in mumbai for work and the mumbai to delhi leg of the journey would be leisure. So i plan to travel to mumbai by train, so i can be rested for the work part and leave from there riding the bike to delhi.

Thank in advance.
Happy motoring.
Old 28th January 2023, 12:10   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift@life View Post
Thank you for the information, can you kindly clarify on the below queries, if you are aware?
1.Is it mandatory to book bike as luggage 2 days prior travel date?
You can do it upto 3-4 hours before the train departure date.

Refer to this post (Transporting Bicycles across India) where I have explained the steps in more detail (same steps apply for all vehicles).
Quote:
2.cant it it be done on the date of travel say if the train is leaving in the night? The reason being this could work for tatkal tickets as well.
Yes.
Quote:
3.can a top box be left on the bike during parcel packaging?.
Yes, you can, assuming you have a good locking mechanism but I would recommend it taking with you for obvious reasons. Shouldn't be a problem considering you can put it back as soon as you reach the destination.
Quote:
4.The bike in question is an interceptor, i would think it needs atleast 3 litres of reserve fuel for the FO pump and how do you drain fuel from interceptor?
I would let the packaging guys at the luggage / parcel office to manage it. Basically they try to remove as much as they can, not necessarily till the last drop. I moved my interceptor on a similar trip and I only needed a liter of petrol at the destination station (to get to the nearest petrol pump).
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2023, 20:34   #88
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to transport an Ather from Pune (Chinchwad) to Goa. Since I'm in Goa, I'm looking for an option where they will pick up the bike, pack it and deliver it to my place in Goa. Any suggestion for a reliable company.
In have checked wit SRS and BPM but both don't have very good reviews.

Most Viewed