Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 17:42   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Neel, sorry to know about your experience. But, what Allroad said is perfectly on the nail.

1. Keep a little distance while overtaking
2. While overtaking honk like you are reaching the end of a cliff ( i do that all the time)
3. Remember in most cities, giving way to a faster vehicle from right is never heard of and they continue to chug along in the right most lane. So leave them in peace and follow rule# 4
4. A simple, safe and fast way to overtake especially in Hyderabad is from the LEFT ( I never overtake from right in city and trust me never got into a situation wherein i was close to a huge moving object on my right..touchwood)

OT, do you and zappo work in the same company?

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th May 2009 at 17:45.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
4. A simple, safe and fast way to overtake especially in Hyderabad is from the LEFT ( I never overtake from right in city and trust me never got into a situation wherein i was close to a huge moving object on my right..touchwood)
Avi , you were always a bad influence when it comes to motivating "josh" in people's driving .I hope u mean overtake on the left lane if someone is occupying the right most lane or is half n half on the supposed to be lanes.
Old 7th May 2009, 20:07   #18
BHPian

Hey mobike008! While what you said about overtaking from the left is true but somehow I find it hard to do that,specially when I know that it is wrong,but then as they say when in Rome, do as Romans do. So maybe I have to learn that art?

And absynthguzzler, mobike008 does not mean from the left lane, he means from the left!! The most common way to overtake in Hyd!!
Old 7th May 2009, 20:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about your car and the loss for no fault of your, Neel!

I guess the importance of honking is to be understood as mentioned in earlier posts. When over a big vehicle, especially state transport vehicles, honk like there is not tomorrow! Just do it!

And good to note that you did make the effort to get to that nutty driver!
Old 8th May 2009, 14:12   #20
ram17bhp

I recieved this in mail today.

Mods please delete this if its already posted. I thought of creating a seperate thread but posting in the driving woes section.

This hilarious article was written by a Dutchman who spent two years** in India, as a visiting expert. A little long article but worth reading it!!!

Driving in India

For the benefit of every Tom, Dick and Harry visiting India and daring to drive on Indian roads, I am offering a few hints for survival. They are applicable to every place in India except Bihar, where life outside a vehicle is only marginally safer.

Indian road rules broadly operate within the domain of karma where you do your best, and leave the results to your insurance company.

The hints are as follows: Do we drive on the left or right of the road?

The answer is "both". Basically you start on the left of the road, unless it is occupied. In that case, go to the right,unless that is also occupied. Then proceed by occupying the next available gap, as in chess. Just trust your instincts, ascertain the direction, and proceed. Adherence to road rules leads to much misery and occasional fatality. Most drivers don't drive, but just aim their vehicles in the generally intended direction.

Don't you get discouraged or underestimate yourself except for a belief in reincarnation; the other drivers are not in any better position. Don't stop at pedestrian crossings just because some fool wants to cross the road. You may do so only if you enjoy being bumped in the back.

Pedestrians have been strictly instructed to cross only when traffic is moving slowly or has come to a dead stop because some minister is in town. Still some idiot may try to wade across, but then, let us not talk ill of the dead.

Blowing your horn is not a sign of protest as in some countries. We horn to express joy, resentment, frustration, romance and bare lust (two brisk blasts),or just mobilize a dozing cow in the middle of the bazaar.

Keep informative books in the glove compartment. You may read them during traffic jams, while awaiting the chief minister's motorcade, or waiting for the rainwater to recede when over ground traffic meets underground drainage.

Auto Rickshaw (Baby Taxi):
The result of a collision between a rickshaw and an automobile, this three-wheeled vehicle works on an external combustion engine that runs on a mixture of kerosene oil and creosote. This triangular vehicle carries iron rods, gas cylinders or passengers three times its weight and dimension, at an unspecified fare. After careful geometric calculations, children are folded and packed into these auto rickshaws until some children in the periphery are not in contact with the vehicle at all. Then their school bags are pushed into the microscopic gaps all round so those minor collisions with other vehicles on the road cause no permanent damage. Of course, the peripheral children are charged half the fare and also learn Newton's laws of motion en route to school.

Auto-rickshaw drivers follow the road rules depicted in the film Ben Hur, and are licensed to irritate.

Mopeds:

The moped looks like an oil tin on wheels and makes noise like an electric shaver. It runs 30 miles on a teaspoon of petrol and travels at break-bottom speed. As the sides of the road are too rough for a ride, the moped drivers tend to drive in the middle of the road; they would rather drive under heavier vehicles instead of around them and are often "mopped" off the tarmac.

Leaning Tower of Passes: Most bus passengers are given free passes and during rush hours, there is absolute mayhem. There are passengers hanging off other passengers, who in turn hang off the railings and the overloaded bus leans dangerously, defying laws of gravity but obeying laws of surface tension. As drivers get paid for overload (so many Rupees per kg of passenger), no questions are ever asked. Steer clear of these buses by a width of three passengers.

One-way Street: These boards are put up by traffic people to add jest in their otherwise drab lives. Don't stick to the literal meaning and proceed in one direction. In metaphysical terms, it means that you cannot proceed in two directions at once. So drive as you like, in reverse throughout, if you are the fussy type. Lest I sound hypercritical, I must add a positive point also. Rash and fast driving in residential areas has been prevented by providing a "speed breaker"; two for each house. This mound, incidentally, covers the water and drainage pipes for that residence and is left untarred for easy identification by the corporation authorities, should they want to recover the pipe for year-end accounting.

Night driving on Indian roads can be an exhilarating experience for those with the mental make up of Genghis Khan. In a way, it is like playing Russian roulette, because you do not know who amongst the drivers is loaded. What looks like premature dawn on the horizon turns out to be a truck attempting a speed record. On encountering it, just pull partly into the field adjoining the road until the phenomenon passes.

Our roads do not have shoulders, but occasional boulders. Do not blink your lights expecting reciprocation. The only dim thing in the truck is the driver, and with the peg of illicit arrack (alcohol) he has had at the last stop, his total cerebral functions add up to little more than a naught. Truck drivers are the James Bonds of India, and are licensed to kill. Often you may encounter a single powerful beam of light about six feet above the ground. This is not a super motorbike, but a truck approaching you with a single light on, usually the left one. It could be the right one, but never get too close to investigate. You may prove your point posthumously*

Last edited by ram17bhp : 8th May 2009 at 14:26. Reason: Better spacing.

Old 8th May 2009, 15:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Avi , you were always a bad influence when it comes to motivating "josh" in people's driving .I hope u mean overtake on the left lane if someone is occupying the right most lane or is half n half on the supposed to be lanes.
You know very well what i mean Arun. And, i am quite sure you have witnessed it several times in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
And absynthguzzler, mobike008 does not mean from the left lane, he means from the left!! The most common way to overtake in Hyd!!
Yup! That's what i meant. Never overtake from right if you and your vehicle wants to come out of that overtake unscathed
Old 8th May 2009, 16:21   #22
BHPian

nice article Ram!! Its always interesting to see your problems from someone else's eyes!!
Old 25th June 2009, 13:28   #23
BHPian

Bikes - Hyderabad

There is an amazingly stupid habit among many Hyderabad bikers have which I have rarely seen in other cities. When taking a right turn, if a car in front is turning right too, they get inside the turning arc of the car and try to get ahead during the turn.

As they are smaller, they need less space to turn and can turn at a sharper angle. So the car completes its turn (and especially if there is a divider starting on the road into which it is turning), the driver suddenly finds the bike cutting across his front and has to brake.

Not so common on left turns because often there isn't enough place to overtake but on right tuns the bikes have enough space to do this. Have been a biker too and I know how senseless this is, without actually doing it, and here it happens regularly - I experience or see a few guys doing it every day.

Have often thought to myself - I need to be careful with these guys and I always have an eye on my right ORVM during the turn especially for one of these jokers.

Today it happened. Came to Jubilee Hills Checkpost from the LV Prasad side and turned right on the road leading to Srinagar Colony. As I was turning, saw a bike in the ORVM, who seemed to want to overtake. But as he was going fairly slowly I thought he would have the sense to wait till I completed the turn. But he didn't. He suddenly speeded up to to get ahead and realised at the last minute he couldn't. I braked and instead of banging into me or falling under my wheels, his crashguard caught the edge of the panel just in front of my right front wheel arch and dragged it out.

Was too busy yelling to notice his number and by the time I tried he had got lost - there is a gap in the divider just ahead which he used to get to the wrong side of the road and go.

After I cooled off, I tried looking for the bright side. We were both lucky. If I hadn't spotted him and braked I would be looking at a much bigger repair bill and trying to get out of a police mess. He would have been in hospital, either in a warm or a very cold room.

Last edited by straightdrive : 25th June 2009 at 13:29.
Old 28th June 2009, 02:54   #24
BHPian

Traffic in hyderabad these days is going worse & if any one is talking about changing the system then u need to be part of that system or you need get in to the system that you want to change. Its better that you drive the way others did. Complaining doesnt make any difference, Trust me

Sorry about your car.
Old 30th June 2009, 10:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

A biker hit my car today morning at the Rd 12 junction with Rd 1 Banjara Hills.

I parked beside the temple and caught the guy as he waited at the signal.
Took away his keys and came to inspect my car for any damage.
Nothing. Thank God.

But the guy is letting out a stream of obscenities and when I am not giving it back.
Resorts to...
You s/w engineer.

I have never ever been referred to that way. Realise my office tag was visible.

Then I get the, "you L board".
(The L board is courtesy my wife and my own license is atleast a decade old)
(I keep it on the car because of idiots like him, I am mean)

I don't have any time to waste on him. And after he shoves me and I shove him back someone intervenes.
Nothing happens. I end up giving a lift to the guy who intervened.

Was a pleasure meeting that fine gentleman.
I guess sometimes you meet a bunch of idiots and its worth it cause then comes someone like that gentleman.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:16   #26
BHPian

It is best to forgive and forget for such minor things. If we gave in to emotions we would be balls of fire by the time we reach office.

P.S. In Hyd, guys who drive fast are safe. People tend to respect you and give you more space. A few sharp swings while driving helps too.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traffic in hyderabad these days is going worse & if any one is talking about changing the system then u need to be part of that system or you need get in to the system that you want to change. Its better that you drive the way others did. Complaining doesnt make any difference, Trust me
This is the usual dialog and I don't think it carries much value anymore! As you have already said, "Its better that you drive the way others did".

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
It is best to forgive and forget for such minor things. If we gave in to emotions we would be balls of fire by the time we reach office.

P.S. In Hyd, guys who drive fast are safe. People tend to respect you and give you more space. A few sharp swings while driving helps too.
Completely agree... Once a biker hit my car from behind! I did not stop but continued moving on! When he tried to overtake me when I was deliberately going slow, all I needed was a flick of the steering and see him bite the dust! (Justice done!)

The most irritating being the slopes where everyone (mostly the indicabs) wants to climb them on 4th gear!

P.S: Even I drive fast to get way!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 30th June 2009 at 11:29.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi75 View Post
Very true you dont have to actually drive fast though. When someone isnt giving way, rev engine and spin your wheels a bit 9 out of 10 times people move.
Old 30th June 2009, 11:44   #29
BHPian

IF you have a bright yellow hunk of solid iron barrelling down on you, anyone will give way dude!!!!!
Old 30th June 2009, 12:15   #30
BHPian

Sad to hear about your incident. Hope the damage is not going to hurt your purse badly and insurance would take care of the most.

Now coming to the change part, this is tough. There is absolutely nothing in this country which can control or improve things as there is no will in either the authorities or the people at large to change.

It's a shame that many of these people do get their licenses and yet they don't have any regard for the rules or the safety - of their own or the other users.

I am not sure why the bus moved towards the right all of a sudden. May be some jerk cut right into him from the left side and to avoid he move to the right? Or, a seven-seater auto might have decided to stop right there for some one to either get in or get out?

No one really cares about road rules in this country. How would someone explain this - this morning I was on my way to office and was standing at a signal, where there is no right turn. A guy on the bike came over, switched off the engine got down and pushed the bike right in front of police. They did not object to it. This is not legal in any country. But, this is quite often we see in India. Similarly, people do not want to drive an extra km try to jump over the median and casing traffic jams.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks