Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 18:13   #1
BHPian

Team Bhp User Council to act as Voice of Motorists in India?

Bhpians,

I’m writing to ascertain if we have we ever explored the idea of creating a user council for each city? The reason behind this proposal is an incident that I was victim to a week ago.

I was driving my Verna near MS Ramaiah Hospital in the afternoon at a snail pace (traffic is heavy on this road) and almost stopped on the road to let another car take a “U” turn. I started moving again at ~20 Kms/hour and the car ahead of me stopped to let someone else take a turn. When I stopped, a recklessly ridden Bajaj Chetak comes in and rams into my bumper - The scooterist was not even wearing a helmet.

I got out of the car and noticed the scooterist was safe (didn’t fall off the bike nor suffered any injury). However, my bumper was damaged (perhaps requires a replacement) and the scooterist did not have a bit of remorse. My friend who was travelling with me noticed that the scooterist had no front brake lever on the scooter. When I pointed it out, the scooterist just takes out his mobile and dials a number (his brother) and incidentally the person who he was calling was on the same road and lands up there even before this guy disconnected the call. This guys walks up to me and introduces himself as the traffic warden with R.T Nagar police station and asks me to ignore the accident and go home. When I point out that he was driving recklessly, the traffic warden asks me to go to the police station and register a compliant. This traffic warden makes couple of calls and then says, this area comes under RT Nagar police station and you go register a compliant there and the scooterist will meet me there.

Sadashiv Nagar police station is about 2 Kms from the spot of this accident on the same stretch of road and RT Nagar is perhaps some 5-6 Kms away. So, I drive down to Sadashiv Nagar police station only to find out that in-deed the jurisdiction is RT Nagar/Hebbal and they are helpless.

I drive to RT Nagar police station (near hebbal flyover) and see the scooterist is already there and waiting for me. The scooterist on the way to the police station picks up a helmet and is waiting for me at the entrance along with some policemen who are already aware of this incident. I walk up to the sub-inspector (SI) and he hands me a piece of paper to write down the compliant. I narrate the entire episode and the police after having read my compliant, inquire if I want to register a FIR [or] just want an acknowledgement from police to claim insurance. The police on behalf of the scooterist inform me that he will not pay a penny and has valid driving license and insurance. I asked them to register a compliant and the police inform me that my car will be seized and I’ll have to get court orders to get it released if they register a FIR. I was shocked to learn this process especially when nobody is injured and for no fault of mine. The police asked me to write the compliant again by eliminating details such as scooter did not have brake lever, driving recklessly, investigate the matter and make it more like FYI note and not a compliant. I was left with no choice but to comply with the recommendation of this officer. I received an acknowledgement for this and drove home feeling down right horrible and helpless. A person with the police influence walks away with a big smile on his face and people without influence end up paying 50% of the cost for replacing the bumper even if insurance is claimed.

We all may be going through such incidents day-in and day-out and a user council could come handy at such times.

This incident is behind me now, but I wanted to take this as an opportunity to make this proposal of a user council.

We could perhaps send in a recommendation to the Govt/police that Team Bhp will be the voice of motorists in India and can contribute towards making driving in India a gratifying experience?

I’m writing to seek suggestions from fellow Bhpians on this subject.

Last edited by DirtyHarry : 8th May 2009 at 18:17. Reason: I copy pasted this from a notepad and realize the formatting is mis-aligned.
Old 8th May 2009, 20:43   #2
BHPian

Something very similar to this happened to me, was hit in the back when I was stationary in the signal. Still have the dent in car to remind me that I am driving in India.
Old 8th May 2009, 20:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats disgusting!! No fault of yours, and then things turn around and put you in a tough spot!
If only there was a way to teach that traffic warden a lesson.And look at the cheek of those guys to buy a helmet on the way. Wouldn't we all wish that the moron actually got injured in the accident!
Old 8th May 2009, 20:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
I drive to RT Nagar police station (near hebbal flyover) and see the scooterist is already there and waiting for me. The scooterist on the way to the police station picks up a helmet and is waiting for me at the entrance along with some policemen who are already aware of this incident. I walk up to the sub-inspector (SI) and he hands me a piece of paper to write down the compliant. I narrate the entire episode and the police after having read my compliant, inquire if I want to register a FIR [or] just want an acknowledgement from police to claim insurance. The police on behalf of the scooterist inform me that he will not pay a penny and has valid driving license and insurance. I asked them to register a compliant and the police inform me that my car will be seized and I’ll have to get court orders to get it released if they register a FIR. I was shocked to learn this process especially when nobody is injured and for no fault of mine. The police asked me to write the compliant again by eliminating details such as scooter did not have brake lever, driving recklessly, investigate the matter and make it more like FYI note and not a compliant. I was left with no choice but to comply with the recommendation of this officer. I received an acknowledgement for this and drove home feeling down right horrible and helpless. A person with the police influence walks away with a big smile on his face and people without influence end up paying 50% of the cost for replacing the bumper even if insurance is claimed.
Harry, you might want to consult a good lawer to understand your rights. Obviously the cops took your for a ride assuming that you are gullible. Might want to write to a couple of papers as well. Did you take the names of the people involved.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:24   #5
BHPian

write to the traffic warden body about the unprofessional conduct of on of their wardens. That's all you can do. The problem with us as citizens is we have succumbed to such corruption and don't want to take it on.
You should have actually written out all the details (riding without a helmet, recklessly at a traffic light, broken brake,etc) in the FIR and registered the complaint, and confronted the cops saying, seize my car I have my lawyer who will take care of this.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

A very bad situation to be in and something that any one of us can be in!

A question to any member who has a knowledge of the law: Can the police confiscate a vehicle in such a situation? If there are no body harm or major damage, can the police impound the vehicle?
Old 8th May 2009, 21:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
A very bad situation to be in and something that any one of us can be in!

A question to any member who has a knowledge of the law: Can the police confiscate a vehicle in such a situation? If there are no body harm or major damage, can the police impound the vehicle?

Those guys would be just playing around as those people had a Police on his side and he was playing prank.

If the person who was complaining had more power than those guys would have run to find a solution.

Last edited by gowda79 : 8th May 2009 at 21:54.
Old 8th May 2009, 21:52   #8
BHPian

Cops don't mess with lawyers. Hope this helps
Old 8th May 2009, 22:16   #9
BANNED

I am sure that my BP would have shot up after reading this .The Same thing happened to me not once ,twice and nor did i have any influncial people as my friend nor any of my relative was in political party.

MAN am saying this world cannot be change AT ALL

All that we can do is write in forums ,thats it

My month old swift (then) was hit by a biker in the front bumper and he ran off.This happened in kottur bridge at around 10pm I chase him till the IIT but i coudlnt catch up with his speed.

I left him as i though that i shouldnt be endangering others life by chasing him.But to my luck that fellow fell right in the middle of the road in madhya kailash while taking turn to TIDEL PARK.I got hold of him and told the police that he hit my car and was fleeing .

THE biker WAS drunk and not not even able to stand properly.The first word he uttered was my brother is in high post in government and blah blah..

The moment he uttered these the cop tried to turn the case against me saying i chased him and thats why he feel down,WHICH WAS POINTLESS.
I tried my best to fight back and tried to register a case against him,but it wasnt happeining.

I Just left the place moments later as i knew nothing is gonna happen...

POWER AND PILITICS paly a mojor roles in any indians life ,where as rules and ethics are just name sake
Old 8th May 2009, 23:16   #10
BANNED

Sir, kindly read this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1177422

Why do you need a user council to know what can be done and what cannot?
Old 8th May 2009, 23:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Why do you need a user council to know what can be done and what cannot?
I think he is talking about forming a support group of sorts. People who would be able to help out in such a situation. Not necessary people who can pull strings, but a network that can offer the necessary legal and moral support at short notice.
The only way I see of doing this is to form a panel of lawyers and other tbhp users who have been through this sort of thing.
Is it really possible to do this? Difficult, but not totally inconceivable.
In any case, lets see how this thread develops, if it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Though yes, we can network and use mutual contacts to teach these scum a lesson.
Precisely.

Last edited by Roy.S : 9th May 2009 at 00:08.
Old 8th May 2009, 23:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

That will not work because we are not as jobless as some of those scum there - so we will only give internet support (honestly). Expecting much more vigils is not happening.

Though yes, we can network and use mutual contacts to teach these scum a lesson. I'm sure that inspector was bluffing.
Old 9th May 2009, 10:51   #13
BANNED

1. A traffic warden is an honorary police officer. He has all liabilities and obligations of a police constable.

2. You have a right to register a complaint as you want it, not as they want it. Asking you to remove information (or even refusing to record your statement) like the two wheeler driver did not have a helmet and did not have brake lever is akin to tampering with crucial evidence.

3. The traffic warden, if was on duty, should NOT have deserted the post where he was allotted to. Use the Right to information act to find out where he was posted. Use the Electoral roll (father's name would be there) to prove that he was the brother / relative of the scooterist.

4. If the warden is cited as a witness, it will be serious drawback to the scooterist's case in court. (a cop, influencing the investigations!!!), they already know it.
Old 9th May 2009, 11:18   #14
BHPian

I agree with DirtyHarry

We must go for local councils. Yes we are busy people, have to meet the time committed but still we must not allow people to take liberty of this and make our lives more miserable. I have been rear ended twice at traffic signals when I was totally stationary and I understand the pain of not getting the justice done us. Its so upsetting to see cops not even recognizing that rear ending is an offense and allowing this to happen leads to people driving rashly. I feel when we will unite, then we can force this attitude out of traffic cops and get the traffic situation better. I am all charged up to be part of the Council here in Hyderabad. Members from Hyderabad lets start this and try to see that Hyderabad becomes a better place to drive (I know this is the worst place in India to drive but still lets try!!)
Old 9th May 2009, 12:32   #15
BHPian

I have a simple solution to offer. Go out and meet your local bhpians. Get their numbers. Go on team-bhp meets in your city. Meet bhpians in real life. In emergencies like these call them up and ask their advice.
If you are travelling to a new place, have the contact details of atleast one bhpian.

You are never alone, when you are in Team-BHP.

Most Viewed