Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2009, 09:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Maybe add a gear lock.
and or a more visible from outside Steering lock.
I was once engaging my steering lock when I heard
a few cheapos accross the street talking about how
he can easily disengage those locks. After slotting my gear lock
I came out of the car and enabled the Autocop with the 'tut' beep.

Edit: Oh sorry, I forgot the cherry. After getting down I asked him to show me
how he can unlock the steering lock. He had no answers.
Well, he felt embarrassed of being such a loud mouth and the pack left.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 14th May 2009 at 09:18.
Old 19th May 2009, 14:26   #47
BHPian

I sympathise with you. It pains to see your baby hurt, be it your kid or your car. I would assume it is not because of your jeep blocking the normal flow (or anyone who wants to turn there) in any way. But, its always safe to park the car inside the the compound. Parking it on the road always has this risk.

Few years ago, we never had any problems driving through our street as the houses which had cars had proper & adequate place in their car sheds/porticos to park. But nowadays, everyone has more than one car & worse, park them on the road haphazardly & almost block the road in most cases. Recently, our neighbours swift got ripped on its sides by a van as they had parked it almost towards the middle of the road. Cars parked on either side of the street is a pain always in the side streets of Bangalore with almost 50% of the road space occupied by cars & bikes of the people living there.

Also, you have these cases of vandals smashing the windshields, nailing the tyres, knocking off the logos etc for the vehicles parked on the street.

So, better play it safe and park inside always (as much as possible) & avoid trying to create space in the portico area by parking outside on the streets.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:50   #48
BHPian

Oops! It does hurt.. It has happened to me twice.

Once, I parked my car outside NPS,HSR layout to collect forms. I come back and the left front fender has a nice set of scratches, done with a metal object. Some vague shape was drawn.

Second time, when I went to my home town, had to park my car outside and walk some 200 meters to home, as cars cant enter that road. That trip, some kid went all around, drawing lines and arcs. Four dours, bumpers everywhere, all at the same height.. Felt so sad, but what can we do? And last time I checked with Nandi Toyota, it will cost me 17k to repaint all that.. So, am driving around with those scratches.

Nainar
Old 19th May 2009, 16:21   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

both my cars are outside - just outside my house - literally outside my compound wall. the street is quite empty and I park right under the trees that I have planted. there is no turn nearby or anything else - just an empty site.
thats what is irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I sympathise with you. It pains to see your baby hurt, be it your kid or your car. I would assume it is not because of your jeep blocking the normal flow (or anyone who wants to turn there) in any way. But, its always safe to park the car inside the the compound. Parking it on the road always has this risk.

Few years ago, we never had any problems driving through our street as the houses which had cars had proper & adequate place in their car sheds/porticos to park. But nowadays, everyone has more than one car & worse, park them on the road haphazardly & almost block the road in most cases. Recently, our neighbours swift got ripped on its sides by a van as they had parked it almost towards the middle of the road. Cars parked on either side of the street is a pain always in the side streets of Bangalore with almost 50% of the road space occupied by cars & bikes of the people living there.

Also, you have these cases of vandals smashing the windshields, nailing the tyres, knocking off the logos etc for the vehicles parked on the street.

So, better play it safe and park inside always (as much as possible) & avoid trying to create space in the portico area by parking outside on the streets.
Old 20th May 2009, 10:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shankar, is your car back after the repair ?
Old 20th May 2009, 15:53   #51
BANNED

probably tomorrow - waiting for the insurance chap to complete a few formalities - they were grumbling about something or other

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Hi Shankar, is your car back after the repair ?
Old 20th May 2009, 15:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

Mind sharing the finance drained, due to no fault of yours?
Old 20th May 2009, 16:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

Guys..when you park your cars outside,its very important that we insure the cars and leave it to the gods to protect the car.
last night there were a torrential rain with gale winds in Hyderabad and a huge tree branch landed few inches away from my Sierra.Whew I was too lucky.
Old 20th May 2009, 16:30   #54
BANNED

estimate was given at about 25-30 grand - give or take
i think the insurance will pay about 18-20grand
i will probably have to shell out atleast 8 grand i feel.
dont know yet for sure - will keep you posted though on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Mind sharing the finance drained, due to no fault of yours?
Old 20th May 2009, 22:13   #55
BHPian

Any pics of the original damage?
Old 20th May 2009, 22:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Shankar,

what did you replace? isn't 30 grand a bit too much.I just replaced the rear door and bumper of my Xylo and the bill was at 37grand. I had to shell 9 grand.
And I am sure that you are aware usually the service managers and insurance surveyors are hand in glove.
I am really sorry to hear about your Scorpio, I know how you feel. I had a worse experience with my Xylo even before I could run it 2000 kms. I complete broke down when I had it hit, I presume you are the kind of person who if thrown off a bike will first access the damage to the bike even before seeing the damage to your own body. I am like that. This is a forum that does not encourage abusive language, however please contribute a few words on my behalf if you are able to get hold of the culprits.
Cheers,
Old 8th June 2009, 15:02   #57
BANNED

yes guys. Cost 20000/- Insurance Paid 15000/-
Out of Pocket 5 grand + another 5 grand via No Claim Bonus loss - the thing happened almost simultaneously with my insurance renewal.
Havent bothered with pictures etc.
But the vehicle is back to its original glory now. Hope it doesnt happen again

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks