Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2009, 17:20   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
What Ac was probably implying was that it would be difficult for his family to sustain themselves. Quite possibly he was the only earning member of the family. That would be how it matters. But yes, a death is a death!
thanks deep for the clarfication. This is what I meant.
Old 20th May 2009, 17:28   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
, a man would not die in a 20 kmph crash.
A man can die in a 20 kmph crash.

Ever broken a coconut.
The human skull is not much thicker.
An unfortunate blow in the wrong place will kill a person.

This is the main reason why its very important, drivers wear a seat belt.
The dashboards are no longer made with metal.
The bumper and bonnet, designed to dissipate energy and save pedestrians.

and yet people ride motorcycle in cities with badly designed pavements and dividers without wearing a helmet.
I have seen an old man die, when he fell off a scooter and cracked open his head on the pavement.
That was the only injury on him and a helmet would have surely saved him.

There is a bunch of information missing with regard to this accident.
The autopsy report of the dead cyclist.
Nature of injuries to the other person.
The condition of the other vehicles.

This car picture shown in an earlier post without its bumpers and headlights puts a heavy burden on the driver.
All the guilt he may feel about this mistake of driving a car without basic safety equipment will not bring back the dead man.
Old 20th May 2009, 19:20   #123
Senior - BHPian

What are we guys doing fighting with each other?

Someone has lost his life, and whether or not we knew him, its a sad thing. Someone has caused this and whether or not we knew him, its unfortunate but hes responsible.

Many a times we do stupid things that lead to no consequence and we dont even think of it twice. As Nitroxx said, he messed up plain and simple. Everyone's human...but so was the guy who lost his life. I do agree that people do tend to point fingers at rich young guys as if its that, was caused the entire sequence of events.

Secondly my sincere appeal to those who claim to know it all but will not share...... dont post and project a i know it all attitude. As i said earlier, if you cant share, you have no right to comment on what the others deduce. Its not espionage to share the facts which will bring the truth out, unless you are hiding something more sinister.

Please be mature and either keep off the forum or show the cards on the table.
Old 20th May 2009, 22:51   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
I'm sorry I stepped in a lil late. He's a very close friend of ours and was in a nissan cefiro. And some people have been on an investigative spree. I would like all of you to know that, age or money doesn't define the way a person drives at all. It's self awareness thats the key. He's a good driver, he messed up this time. Please pray for everyone's well being. And for those who have the curiosity bug..well I'm sure there are agencies that are recruiting investigation officers for other more important crimes in the city...try google.
Well said bro. It is a very unfortunate thing to happen.
Hope all goes well for all the people involved and they come out of this fast.

RIP for the man who lost his life.
Old 20th May 2009, 23:41   #125
BANNED

Quote:
He's a good driver, he messed up this time.
So you do agree he was at falut then? Thanks for making it clear.

Quote:
And for those who have the curiosity bug..well I'm sure there are agencies that are recruiting investigation officers for other more important crimes in the city...try google.
You are trying to be funny i guess?
Old 21st May 2009, 00:05   #126
Team-BHP Support

Well put V-16!

I was involved in an accident more than a decade back, where an old gentleman popped out from nowhere and froze in front of my 40 kmph and accelerating zen. I braked but touched his scooter lightly and he landed on my cars windshield. I drove him to hospital and took care of all expenses and got him some vip treatment also.

He had lost 2 tooth and suffered a hairline fracture to his jaw. We parted ways amicably (in writing in front of cops) and to my surprise, my dad (owner of the car) was issued a court summons of hit and run 6 months down the line. Thankfully we could sort it out legally by paying a small fine.

Now the point is, though i could never forgive him for putting me and my family through the agony of court, inspite of our best efforts in taking care of him and being upfront with him about the legality (we had even learnt from his son that the old gents license was expired and his docs had advised him to stay away from driving due to a previous freezing incident).

Even now those few seconds sometime flash in my head and leave me messed up, sometimes even with guilt that i could have done better that day at driving.

I have had many a spills aka accidents before this, suffered good deal of injuries to the extend of having alloys embedded in my body, but none involving another person. I was young and lived a fast life, sometimes reckless but never did i realize the seriousness before this one incident. Blame it on hormones, thrill, ignorance or arrogance. But that was my bitter awakening, thank my stars no body lost life.

From that day onwards i have stopped making harsh judgments about accidents, coz at the end of the day it is an ACCIDENT! Mistakes happen, we are human. It all depends on how we resolve it, pay price for our mistakes, repent etc that matters. STOP ourselves from repeating the mistake!

I didnt know who Mihir was till yesterday, will never know who the milkman was or what his worldly commitments were. I know that a life was lost and my only hope is that our legal system is fair enough on all the parties involved.

Finally a request to all members to be more gentle with the pedal, especially on crowded public roads and show that we all have learned our lessons from this Accident!
Old 21st May 2009, 00:08   #127
Senior - BHPian

Nice post, Jaggu. C'est la vie.
Old 21st May 2009, 00:12   #128
BHPian

I've been following this thread closely with the curiosity to know what actually happened..Although it is not that difficult to find out what actually happened as there are a few people on this forum who have a rough idea of what transpired. But reading some bits - the curiosity ceases to exsist..Here's why -

But then while driving back from work this evening, I had a 20 foot high congress billboard (Or whatever you call them silly contraptions made of scaffolding / cloth / wires etc) fall on the the car because of wind (and the fact that it was not strapped down to the signal post correctly) I was travelling at about 20kmph. The banner fell on my front left fender and I managed to drag it about 10 feet and clipped a gentleman also returning home from work with that banner. Now if I were going any faster or if it was a bigger vehicle - There could have been some serious damage to this gentleman. I was more concerned about the guy than my car. I got down and picked him up and offered to take him to the hospital if he was hurt..The guy was the victim and the witness who helped ME untangle the banner from under my wheel arch and the silly banner!! An absolute nuisance and an eyesore as most would agree!!

This got me thinking of how unsafe our roads are and how unpredictable people walking, cyclist, bikers, cars etc are!! I hate driving in the city for this reason and prefer to take a taxi where possible..

Even 20kmph is enough to seriously injure someone if he / she is caught under the car and have a ton roll over them..Speed is irrelevant..Driving skills are irrelevant..Hell - I'll bet the best drivers in the world could get into an accident here in India. Not that people abroad are any better - Just a bit more disciplined

The point i'm trying to make here is that there is no point questioning who was at fault time and again - The damage has been done. Could have been Mr. Dharkar, could have been the rickshaw driver - or it could have been the deceased.

However, It is not right to discuss this in an uncontrolled fashion (Yes - Uncontrolled) on a public forum and based on right to information / opinion an so on- as a lot of us (including myself till about 7 pm today) was just speculating based on little information that is made available. It isn't fair to anyone including the parties involved.

To be quite honest -
  • If anyone of us would have been in the driver's situation (Of the Nissan Cefiro or any other vehicle) - your close ones would try their hardest to bail you out of trouble
  • If anyone of us would have been in the rickshaw guys position - your close ones would have tried their hardest to get you proper medical help and to get your compensated for the damage to the rickshaw (or any other vehilce)
  • If anyone of us were to die - Our families would have taken this to court and demanded justice.
There are 3 parties involved and only 4 people know how it transpired. (One of the victim unfortunately met his fate) Now anyone who is close to any of the the 3 parties above would side with their own..While the 4th lot would speculate and complain about how bad the system is!! (I might be one of them)

But the point here is that there is no reason why this thread should continue..Everyone here has access to print and visual media - Just be patient. If the curiosity itches beyond control - Phone a friend and speculate as opposed to doing it here!!

I've met Mihir just once and this is just an unbiased opinion. There is no point in bringing the skeleton out of the closet. Things like this have occurred in the past and will continue to occur long after fossil fuel is over..Not saying that one should just turn a blind eye - Instead look for ways to improve the system. Now that would make a god discussion and will be a lot more fruitful to us all. This is going no-where with $hit flying all over!!

Requesting the mods to close this thread till the verdict is out.

P.S. On a lighter note - I'm building myself a monster too - And I'm having second thoughts on completing it after reading such reports and experiencing horror myself at 20kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Well put V-16!
Finally a request to all members to be more gentle with the pedal, especially on crowded public roads and show that we all have learned our lessons from this Accident!
Very well said Jaggu - This is what I missed out - accidents are inevitable; One just needs to be more cautious to try and avoid it. $hit happens for no reason sometimes when either everyone or no one is at fault..

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2009 at 00:36. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 21st May 2009, 00:31   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Seriously guys unless you know Mihir personally or what kind of a person he is I think it's better you don't say anything at all!
I just came across this thread and I have no idea who Mihir is. I hope he is recovering well. But I have to point out a few double standards being employed here. We have a huge thread called 'Accidents in India'. Nothing stops us from looking at the photos posted and saying 'Ooo, that's a yellow board Indica. Moron must have been speeding. Cabbies always do' or 'Ahh, A B7R Volvo. This is what happens when you give a bus like that to an ape who was driving a truck till the other day'. Are you saying we can't pass comments like that just because Mihir was driving an import? Or because you know him and we don't? As far as I can see, it's just another accident whether we know the person personally or not.
Old 21st May 2009, 01:01   #130
Senior - BHPian

Well put Gilead.
r32 gtr, I still don't see the need to close the thread.
Old 21st May 2009, 01:38   #131
Senior - BHPian

It's an accident!

I am amazed at the amount of vehemance and venom from all sides. What happened was an accident. The cyclist did not come under the car on purpose neither did the motorist hit him on purpose. So please let us not get into the blame game. What happened was not a premeditated crime. Maybe the motorist was negligent, maybe the cyclist was negligent, perhaps both were negligent, it does not matter. An accident took place with sad and tragic consequences.

It is best if we stopped being so judgmental. The mob at the accident site was judgemental and took the law into their own hands - what they did was definitely not just. In fact the mob were unjust and clearly violated the law without provocation or justification and each one deserves to be punished for assault, battery, etc. I never hear a word about the necessity of justice being meted out to such lawless mobs either in the sanctimonious media or elsewhere.

On a TBHP-Hyderabad chapter drive an auto driver took a U turn on the highway, right in front of one of our members (three vehicles were travelling together and his was the second car). A mob gathered immediately and were ready to lynch our member, trust me, that accident was not his fault. It was only the presence of a large number of TBHPians that prevented anything untoward happening that day. It took the better part of the morning to extricate our member from the clutches of the mob, rapacious auto driver, cops, sundry politicians etc. Justice demanded that the auto driver be made to pay for the damage to the car, his license to drive a public service vehicle be revoked and he be punished for turning into the oncoming traffic. One can bet that nothing of that sort happened. He was 'poor' you see!

Justice demands that no party be blamed merely because of his colour, religion, social standing, appearance, income, wealth or age. That would be discrimination at best and bigotry at worst.

My sympathies lie with four persons - the cyclist (may his soul rest in peace), the auto driver, the motorist and the passenger in the car.

I have no sympathy at all for the bystanders who formed a mob and thrashed people on the road. These are proponents of the 'law of the jungle' where might is right. These lumpen elements will, if unchecked, ruin our society and nation.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 21st May 2009 at 01:46.
Old 21st May 2009, 03:00   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Justice demands that no party be blamed merely because of his colour, religion, social standing, appearance, income, wealth or age. That would be discrimination at best and bigotry at worst.

I have no sympathy at all for the bystanders who formed a mob and thrashed people on the road. These are proponents of the 'law of the jungle' where might is right. These lumpen elements will, if unchecked, ruin our society and nation.
Cheers,
By nation You mean: india. Kindly see the National Emblem The Horse and the Bull look at the positions, they express: Bull= Hit Horse= Run. Hehe. Here In india Might is right my dear may that be on road or in courtroom.
Old 21st May 2009, 03:42   #133
Senior - BHPian

The Cefiro had a 700+ bhp 2JZ engine but, even if it had a Veyron engine, it didn't matter because even if it was a M800, the result would be the same.

I've had a similar accident, where I crashed into a guy with my CBR running across the road looking in the wrong direction at 50 km/h outside Fame Adlabs in Andheri.

The guy was a Nepali waiter from some nearby hotel but, because he was poor and I was riding a sportsbike, the public there was trying to take my case saying "he must be riding fast", looking at my bike.

Point being, these idiots on the road will usually be at fault because they are illiterate and have no road sense but, people like us are the ones that bear the brunt of it all because we are richer than them. I'm not saying that they are always at fault.

Let the deceased RIP.

Last edited by straight6 : 21st May 2009 at 03:44.
Old 21st May 2009, 05:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Well I have to disagree.. there are 'unfortunate' accidents and on the other hand there are accidents caused by 'carelessness.'

For example (only) if you are going to get sloshed, and drive at double the speed limit with a car that has bald tires and worn out brakes in the dead of the night without working headlights ... then kill someone say "sorry, yaar adjust karo..it was an accident", then nobody is going to buy that. I think most people are smart enough to tell the difference between recklessness and freak accidents.
Old 21st May 2009, 07:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You are trying to be funny i guess?
No, he must be working for a HR recruitment company.

Quote:
I'm sorry I stepped in a lil late.
Apologies accepted.
But you did not clear the air either, except but for letting us know
about the opportunities in the investigative domain.

No one wants to derive sadistic pleasure out of the miseries faced by Mihir. Just wanted to know how did it happen. After that, how is he. What
are the proceedings furthur. There are many laywers and experienced members here who might want to help and ease the burden. There is no need to get belligerentabout it.

Sigh! Its usless explaining. All said and done, I hope, sincerely, that Mihir comes out of this soon, and the others affected get full compensation in whatever way, courts, out of courts.

Most Viewed