Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 09:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

It could be some guys were trying to steal your car tyres, this has become a new buisness for robbers.

Did you see any bricks or big stones next to the car before taking out from the parking space, that would prove the reality if it was really stealing or some one's prank.
Old 21st May 2009, 09:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

All nuts loose, its all fishy, an attempt to steal the tyres. Are the tyres alloys with tubeless ? which brands ?

good that you noticed and avoided a mishap.
Old 21st May 2009, 09:59   #18
BHPian

Still not clear!

a) Did you park it outside that night?
b) Was that tyre replaced recently? Puncture? Rotations?

If a), most likely its a case of a thief trying to wack the wheel (or a neigbhour who wanted a spare tyre may be:P) OR a fancy alloy?

If b), can suspect something amiss from that replacement, but is very unlikely.

No one would take the trouble to undo the nuts of a type for a prank. This has to be a case of stealing mostly.

Park your car safely - Inside your garages (if you have one).
Old 21st May 2009, 09:59   #19
BHPian

Hey !

This happended to me as well, some 8 years back I found all 4 nuts of left rear loose, strange as our car was always parked in the garage. Not sure if in our somebody tried to play foul game there.

From that day till today, I always make sure that I am checking nuts on both my cars every weekend. I know some of you will think that but I have had this hangover from past 8 years.

I daily commute on NH8 at speeds of 100+ and so just cant afford a wheel to go off at that speed.

Cheers.

EDIT : Would urge, if possible please check nuts of your car when ever you can, as its better to anticipate then to experience.

Last edited by Bubby : 21st May 2009 at 10:02.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

The full wheel covers on my car (Swift VXi) makes it difficult to check the status of the wheel nuts. The wheel covers are quite difficult to remove. So sometimes I wish I did not have these covers on the car.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:57   #21
BHPian

Not possible as the wheel spin during forward motion and the bolt thread are in opposite directions. And as most of them suggested, it might be either a prank or someone really tried to steal the wheel and had to abandon the act in the middle and run away.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:20   #22
BHPian

It appears to be a deliberate act and not a accidental occurrence. You mentioned you were returning from office, which indicates that this was done there. Unless you stopped somewhere on the way back. I've not heard of wheels being stolen from an office parking lot!

On a lighter side, hope you did not fire some people recently!

But seriously, it is really good and lucky that you stopped and checked the wheel. It would have resulted in a disaster if you did not.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

Some one has tried to steal the tyres.You have not mentioned which car you are using,in verna for that matter the tyres have to be removed to open the central locking.I had once locked the keys inside unknowingly and the A.S.S.guys came and removed the front tyres for un locking the central locking.depends on the model of the car too.Or the worst part could be some one trying to endanger you.
Be carefull in the future bro and try fitting a central locking with shock sensor so that no one steals the beauty,
ram
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:23   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

vdiatech, firstly I am glad that you stopped the car well in time to check, and avoided a potential accident!

I've experienced this once in my '93 Accord (States). Had gotten a set of new tyres and 20 miles of freeway driving later, I could feel the RHS front wheel wobbling. Pulled over safely and saw that the 3 bolts were loose....loose to the point of falling off. I went back to the tyre shop and brought the house down. He apologised, but also insisted that alloy wheels come with a warning to retorque the bolts after 50 - 100 miles of driving.

A simple google search throws out thousands of pages advising the same:

Quote:

After the initial installation, it's advisable to check and re-torque all wheel fasteners after the vehicle has been driven about 25 to 50 miles. If the technician does not have the opportunity to perform this initial drive, make a point of instructing the customer to bring the vehicle back to the shop after 25 to 50 miles for a re-torque.
Linky

Quote:
The wheel bolts or nuts must be tightened to the manufacturer’s specified torque. [Be sure to re-torque them after a 100 miles or so as they will compress slightly]
Linky

Quote:
Tightening Wheel Bolts

Always use a torque wrench when tightening wheel bolts check your car manual for the correct settings.
When fitting new wheels re-torque the wheel bolts after about 60 to 90 miles.
Linky
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:26   #25
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ke-my-car.html
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hmm..smells fishy, smells sabotage. Most probably, like many said, wheel theft process interrupted.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:39   #27
BHPian

Almost same thing happened to me last month. Reason: few days prior to that, the tyre got punctured and the spare wheel nuts were not properly fit. The wheel nuts were interchanged while fitting. After 3-4 days the wheel started making noise as the nuts got loose, and finally came to know about this. But the damage was done by that time. 2 nuts had jammed, and had to be cut and replaced with the new ones.
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:32   #28
Senior - BHPian

It happened to me once in 1992 I think. We had a premier padmani and I drove that car to Naina Devi - Shimla before I found time to go to a garage with a complaint of a strange thud thud noise from the right rear wheel on left side cornerings. As it was the nuts were loose and the tyre was being held by one solitary nut, that too on the last threads.
Now I make it a point to check wheel nuts. I wonder how many of us who ahve driven on older vehicles do preventive checks out of sheer habit to our newer steeds. They certainly made drivers more cautious in older times.
Old 22nd May 2009, 18:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure, It happened to my Viva CRDi once. I had done wheel alignment and balance the previous night and next morning going for a tbhp drive and thankfully one of the tbhpian (Rider60) saw it and stopped me immediately and tightened the nuts, all of them were loose.

After than did 140kmph, imagine what would have happened had it done without knowing it
Old 22nd May 2009, 20:19   #30
BHPian

I remember,once a tyre shop mechanic had told me that wheel nuts never come off - as they are designed to tighten when the vehicle is running forward. In this case, I suspect an unfinished job by a thief.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks