Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 12:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Today a dude in a Fabia was crawling in the middle of the road on IRR, talking on the phone. I didnt say anything to him coz the poor bloke was driving a skoda
A very good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The apathy is more to do with lack of awareness, ignorance and selfishness on the roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
People's behaviour is also dependent on law enforcement. That is the only way out when you have such non-cooperation movement by citizens.
The current situation is because of both. The latter one to be more prominent.

I always wonder whether the people in developed countries would behave as us if the law enforcement was not strict as ours. Based on my interaction with taxi drivers abroad, it was clear that they were very scared of tickets/ suspension of license because of not following rules. I hope our law would be as good someday.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st May 2009 at 12:56.
Old 21st May 2009, 13:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
You are only reducing the distance traveled till the signal.
Now the chaos will start at the starting point of that wall
I do not think there will be chaos if the intersection has a traffic light.
Old 21st May 2009, 16:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I do not think there will be chaos if the intersection has a traffic light.
I dont get you. Do you mean, these issue will be solved if we ahve traffic signal?
Old 21st May 2009, 16:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
I dont get you. Do you mean, these issue will be solved if we ahve traffic signal?
Now don't tell me there are no traffic signals in the junctions mentioned?
Old 21st May 2009, 16:40   #20
Team-BHP Support

School/College education has nothing to do with road sense. What we need is compulsary driver education in highschool. After that it is too late to fix bad traffic habits in most cases.

The complete lack of traffic common sense is displayed by people of all ages. This is because there is no driver education available in this country. There is no guide to teach good traffic behavior. The driver's test in India doesn't cover that area at all.

Consider this scene from yesterday. I was visiting a paint shop and I needed to load all the paint barrels into the Jeep. But, I couldn't get any closer to the shop and was forced to park at a distance. And this is why.

Does the so called EDUCATION really help?-imag0034.jpg

Notice how many transport vehicles visiting the paint/hardware shop are forced to park behind the bikes. There was enough space to park 4 cars, but totally blocked by 3 bikes. I actually asked the paintshop owner whether those bikes were parked intentionally to block the space for some reason. Afterall, those bikes were stragetically parked with equal distance. He looked out in total disgust and said "No, that's how the students who live upstairs park their bikes. It doesn't occur to them that they are blocking others."
Old 21st May 2009, 16:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

But I do see that my 8yrs son has a school book that talks about Road sense, how to use/respect pedestrians cross.

And do remember that we all had something related to these in Moral science, General knowledge etc... We did learn signal, "Red says stop, etc etc..." Are we using that sense atleast? NO. Agreed?
Old 21st May 2009, 17:02   #22
BHPian

@mj, you have hit the nail on the head sir, your title says it all. unfortunately in our great city of Bangalore, everybody from the cops to the auto guys to the normal commuter is so used to the attitude of "swalpa adjust maadi" that it really makes no sense in trying to put in some sense to these guys.I cant really comment on the rest of the country though

I had a similar incident on sunday where an auto guy was driving on the wrong side of the road and he blocked my car and had the gall to not move out of my way and expected me to give him right of way to pass me on a narrow street, honestly i felt like beating him up but was in a hurry and actually gave him room to pass and then moved on.

What do you actually do with such creatures on the raod. Had i got down and fought i probably would've have blocked traffic for some more time and only boiled my blood.

May be somewhere we are to be blamed ourselves cause we let people get away with such nonsense rather than putting up a fight cause thats the bigger thing to do. It just leads to a lot of blood boiling and it really leads to no good.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

This has turned out to be a disease amongst the educated folks. You know, sometimes when you give them your piece of mind in public they learn pretty fast.

Anna next time on, why don't you carry your paambu( snake) with you and scare folks who are in the wrong lane ?

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 21st May 2009 at 17:15.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:30   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And do remember that we all had something related to these in Moral science, General knowledge etc... We did learn signal, "Red says stop, etc etc..." Are we using that sense atleast? NO. Agreed?
Not like that. I mean a complete subject. Just like moral science or workshop class, we need a driving class. In US highschools, driving classes and driving test is part of the curriculum. Members who studied highschool in USA can probably give better picture.
Old 21st May 2009, 17:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

I take the same road mentioned by Mjothi in 1st post, on the way back home from office.
I need to go straight, but the call center cabs, BMTC bus & cars going towards ITPL block the left lane!
And on top of that, the left most side of the Road was dug-up sometime back & those morons have left it as it is, so whenever it rains, the dug-up part turn into mini-ponds, forcing the vehicles to come back to the middle-lane!
What can you do apart from
Old 21st May 2009, 17:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

I think the word is ETIQUETTE. Education has got nothing to do with it.
In India it is always "ME"

Etiquette is a code of behavior that influences expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group. Rules of etiquette are usually unwritten, but aspects of etiquette have been codified from time to time. Rules of etiquette encompass most aspects of social interaction in any society, though the term itself is not commonly used.

source: wikipedia

Last edited by iceman91 : 21st May 2009 at 17:57.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:45   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Not like that. I mean a complete subject. Just like moral science or workshop class, we need a driving class. In US highschools, driving classes and driving test is part of the curriculum. Members who studied highschool in USA can probably give better picture.
Just education without enforcement will NOT work.
And enforcement should be done impartially.

A Tall Order in this country.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:55   #28
BHPian

One more thing other than the ones already pointed here is jumping signals. Here, in Hyderabad, people take a lot of pride in jumping red light and I have been cursed quite a few times because I stopped at the redlight forcing people behind me to stop.

I ascertain this with their laid back and extremely selfish attitude. People have absolutely no respect for others on road.

I believe that people have proved, concretely enough in all these years, that they themselves cannot follow traffic rules and hence its a wastage of time to expect them to do so .

The only option left is to force them to follow rules. This can be done by make stricter rules and having a traffic rules implementation department who follow the plans ruthlessly. I have seen people paying their 100 bucks challan and then enjoy the whole day as kings. Offenders should me heftily fined (based on the number of offenses).

Lets pray that the traffic sense improves before I die. I really want to see better traffic in India.
Old 21st May 2009, 20:53   #29
Team-BHP Support

They say a picture speaks more than a thusand words. How true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
And on top of that, the left most side of the Road was dug-up sometime back & those morons have left it as it is, so whenever it rains, the dug-up part turn into mini-ponds, forcing the vehicles to come back to the middle-lane!
A smooth road which was tarred in the recent past which has been ruined.

Does the so called EDUCATION really help?-copy-200520092643.jpg

Check out the varied class of law breakers.

Does the so called EDUCATION really help?-copy-200520092641.jpg

This particular bus is perenially guilty of going up the wrong side of the road. Once i went to the cop on duty, and even pointed out to him that this bus came up the wrong side of the road. The cop shouted something at the driver, who retorted back in kind, and went his own sweet way. Looks like the cops have hearts which melt faster than ice creaam when it comes to dealing with these morons.

Does the so called EDUCATION really help?-copy-210520092645.jpg

Does the so called EDUCATION really help?-copy-210520092646.jpg

What cannot be seen in this pic is the conductor on the bus who has stood in the way of traffic thereby blocking them and allowing the bus to force its way back to the road.
Old 21st May 2009, 22:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

We are expecting too much! Even if you train / school everyone on road manners - without enforcement nothing will happen.

The bad part is the guys who has to enforce themselves have no clue to go about it. It all the ill effects of fast growing city, intolerance, impatience etc..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks