Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2009, 10:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Does the so called EDUCATION really help?

Everyday we see so many chaos on road due to traffic. We blame on Municipalities, Authorities, govt etc etc. person to be complaint is an endless list.

Well, are they the actual reason? Don't we think more than 75% of the chaos we are creating by ourselves?

Everyday, I get stuck in the ITPL signal (coming from COSMOS to SHELL bunk) morning. I need to go straight in that road. There plenty of other vehicles which needs to take right turn to go to ITPL. But I noticed that not even a single day, the vehicle that are suppose to go right have stuck to thier lane. They lay themselves the whole road and there by blocking the whole traffic that would have gone straight. Who are driving those vehicle? atleast 70-80% is our EDUCATED chaps doing white collar jobs. Do they really care for others?

Same I have noticed in Bagmane tech Park too.

In that most would have certainly driven in foriegn countires. So, do you think they would have did same over there? No. So, it means we do NOT have self discipline. Right?

But still we blame on Taxi drivers, Auto wallas, Public transport drivers etc.

Now, how many of us, stick to our lane. how many of us stop on red at any time of the day/night?

P.S. Me selecting to prominent IT related location has nothing to do. But I thought that would be an excellent example.

So, where is the actual solution? Its in US (not US as in USA) right?

But what we have done to correct? Nothing?

I hope I have landed on the correct thread. If not, I am adding one more to the list of job of MODs
Old 21st May 2009, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Education has nothing to do with how we drive on the roads. There is no school or college that has driving lessons in its curriculum.

Today a dude in a Fabia was crawling in the middle of the road on IRR, talking on the phone. I didnt say anything to him coz the poor bloke was driving a skoda

But jokes apart, the apathy is more to do with lack of awareness, ignorance and selfishness on the roads.
Old 21st May 2009, 10:55   #3
BANNED

Tell me about it - education? What's the rate per kilo?

Reminds me of a huge sticker on the rear windshield of an Omni that said:
"Yes, it's my grandfather's road"
Old 21st May 2009, 10:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Today morning while i was driving to work, there was this silver swift Vdi who went past me and I could literally see it being driven like a maniac would. I thought it must be some crazy dude on a highway trip (my daily drive takes me 15 kms on NH45 till MEPZ), only to realize that he took the right turn that i take at MEPZ and come to the same office as me! Wanted to really give him a glare, but then he entered parking at a different building so left it for the time being!
Old 21st May 2009, 11:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

People's behaviour is also dependent on law enforcement. That is the only way out when you have such non-cooperation movement by citizens.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Well, this happens every day when you have to get out of EGL on the inner ring road. And education has nothing to do with the way we drive on roads. I guess it is more than that.

I personally feel that culturally have a problem. Take anything for example, like getting in and out of elevators, opening doors for others and acknowledging the same, staying in queues at counters, and many more. God damn, people on bikes try and jump queues when you are standing in the gas stations for filling air in the tyres. What can be more shameful than that. I guess we have a problem within our DNA.

Its a shame that we are not able to make any progress on this front. I have seen many small kids with much better manners that most grown ups in this country.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:07   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
People's behaviour is also dependent on law enforcement. That is the only way out when you have such non-cooperation movement by citizens.
Rightly said.

The very same road that Mjothi talked about in his post is the perfect example of poor law enforcement by the authorities.

On more than 3 occassions i have prsonally gone to the cops standing at the junction and informed them about how people are blatantly flouting the rules by driving up the wrong side of the road and those who waited patiently in queue ended up looking like fools. They nodded their heads as if they understood, but they have done absolutely NOTHING about it!

The third time i talked to the superior cop on duty, he patted me on the back and said "Thank You", as if to mean "You mind your own damned business, let the country go to the dogs".

Now i care a damn. I however have some pics which i have clicked of this mess, and i intend to send them to TOI. Lets see if something comes of it. I dont see what else i can do to help.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

In my view,

we can not change others, we can change ourselves. I agree with muralisk, kids have better manners (sometimes),

so i focus on how i drive and teach my kid the traffic disipline.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So its sums up. No self-discipline. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
God damn, people on bikes try and jump queues when you are standing in the gas stations for filling air in the tyres. What can be more shameful than that. I guess we have a problem within our DNA.
Yes. It is because of the thing that "no one will ever bother to question me" attitude. If one fellow starts opening up, then everyone in there will also join. its just starting problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
...how people are blatantly flouting the rules by driving up the wrong side of the road and those who waited patiently in queue ended up looking like fools. They nodded their heads as if they understood, but they have done absolutely NOTHING about it!
yes this is a big big headache. And even those volvos coming in wrong direction and then try to get into the traffic in one of small gap in medians... really really pisses everyone.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:26   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Yes. It is because of the thing that "no one will ever bother to question me" attitude. If one fellow starts opening up, then everyone in there will also join. its just starting problem.
I never tolerate such behavior and I am quite blunt on the offenders and the people who oblige them. One good thing about Shell gas stations is that I don't have to do the shouting as the attendant does that for me.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

People with self-discipline also tolerate too much. Somehow we don't raise our voice against such things.
Just today, after filling up petrol, a two wheeler guy wanted to fill air before me. People with lesser needs (two tyres opposed to 4) always think they get priority. The attendant himself asked him to come back and join the queue. He did what I would have done.
So please embarrass people in public by speaking out, thats only way to force them acknowledge their wrong attitude.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:31   #12
BHPian

mJothi agree with your first post.

I empathize with the cops in B'lore who have recently started putting up concrete dividers for almost the entire lengths of roads because it seems that mere painted lines don't send the message to us 'literate' folk. So best is to treat us like cattle and heard us with physical barriers such as dividers.

Now coming to your point about those wanting to turn right blocking up the left lanes as well. I have a simple solution here as well for us livestock...build concrete dividers for lanes as well. SO if one decides to cut right going into the left lane, can't do so and has to continue straight till the next intersection . In any case our B'lore traffic police are pretty creative and innovative when it comes to finding solutions even if requires one to drive on the right side of the road in some places. So don't fret I'm sure they will find a way for us livestock to go where we want to albeit with a little concrete coercion.

Last edited by pranava999 : 21st May 2009 at 11:34. Reason: spelling
Old 21st May 2009, 11:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
...build concrete dividers for lanes as well. SO if one decides to cut right going into the left lane, can't do so and has to continue straight till the next intersection .
You are only reducing the distance traveled till the signal.
Now the chaos will start at the starting point of that wall
Old 21st May 2009, 12:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
the apathy is more to do with lack of awareness, ignorance and selfishness on the roads.
Rightly said.

It's more of ignorance and lack of respect for the fellow road users that is the root cause.
Here in Kolkata, I see buses and autos stopping in the middle of the road and picking up their passengers. The people traveling behind the bus be damned!

And have you heard people honking at traffic signals, even when they could clearly see the signal is RED and the person in the front cannot go anywhere
Old 21st May 2009, 12:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Eh, do we have any road sense course in our normal course of education?
No.

If after imparting education, you cannot expect a person do develop faculties of intelligence and logic, and rational thinking, you cannot expect development of road sense either.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks