Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

GUIDELINES While testing Modded Cars!

Well we have seen the attention that the Mihir thread has gotten.

I thought it would be ideal if we have some guidelines to avoid this. MOst of this is quite obvious but often overlooked in the excitement of testing the car.

Jitu, I have quoted your points here:

Few points which can make a difference

1) Let all Tuners who build cars for their customers educate/inform the driver about surrounding roads & request them to adhere to speed limits.
2) Any kind of Testing (low speed) should be done on less conjusted open roads during off peak hrs.
3) For all out WOt runs, highway or any wide stretch road with very long clear visibility, keep watching for signal junction as chances are that a rickshawala might jump in suddenly.
4) Check the Car Mechanically for its road worthiness, Tyres,brakes, attached front Bumper etc, There was possibility that Milkman could have got away with only minor injury if the Bumper was attached.

Please feel free to add more.
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:11   #2
BHPian

first of all , using a public road to test your modded car is wrong. i know there is no suitable/safer alternative for this but our public roads.
but anyway this is a good initiative .

Last edited by siddartha : 23rd May 2009 at 13:16.
Old 23rd May 2009, 13:46   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Amit, before we get to the the guidelines of testing a modded car on roads, I think most of us should understand how or on what basis a car should be tested after modding. Is it enough to test the car in just 1st and 2nd gears? Or can one really find out the difference in 3rd and 4th? Assuming we have no dynos or tracks to figure out statistically.

Honestly, I have driven my share of fast cars. None seem to give you the real picture unless you open them in 3rd. Or am the only one who thinks this way? So all those doing short sprints on a 100 mtr road to find out what difference its made to the car are IMO just wasting time slipping clutches or burning rubber.

Once it is decided on how one should actually check the performance increase/decrease on a car, then we should accordingly choose a road to test it safely.
Old 26th May 2009, 11:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Rahul,This is more about safety issues but you do have a point
Siddhartha I agree but how many tracks are available around the corner to do this?
Old 26th May 2009, 11:31   #5
BHPian

Most important of all, = your insurance policy is void as

1) you have modified the car, may be light modifications, heavy modifications will definitely void your warranty.

2) Unfinished cars without number plate, bumper, headlights etc will be presumed to be non worthy under the CRMV act.

Therefore no third party liability, you bang a car, you pay for repairs to the affected vehicle, the hospital damages, penalties as levied by the court, damage to municipal or council or to highway property in case of public property being damaged.

3) Insurance does not cover any testing of the car post modifications.

Additionally the court cases and negligence penalties/convictions as well as licenses being suspended.

Be careful with WOT runs.
Old 26th May 2009, 13:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Comparitively, testing a modded car on a known highway stretch is safer than on a city road - irrespective of how smooth/deserted that city road might appear.

Last edited by theMAG : 26th May 2009 at 14:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks