Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 18:11   #31
Senior - BHPian

1) You have handled this case with maturity and as a responsible citizen. Appreciate that.

2) The guy on the bike was obviously not wearing helmet. Its not your fault that he wasn't wearing one. IIRC, there was a rule to wear helmets. If the rule exists, and if the injured person's families prefer to go the legal way, eventually they will end up paying compensation to you.
One thing is for sure, that if somebody rear ends other vehicle, its the fault of the vehicle who rear ended the other vehicle. I have been rear ended on bike and now recently in maruti 800.
Here it was responsibility of the bike rider to have maintained sufficient distance and to ride slowly. Have a look at the bike's front brakes, they are meaning less even if there is one person on the bike, and in this case, there were two humans on the bike. I had bajaj Caliber earlier and I know that these drum brakes are very very inefficient and have huge brake fade.
Right now my bike is Zeus with front disc and that is absolute necessity. I do ride my bike at around60-65 in city, but slow down whenever I see the traffic slightly higher than normal.

3) The bikes have relatively very good power to weight ratio, add to that inadequate chassis ( and tyres ) + poor brakes + low gearing ( read poor engine braking unless one shifts from 4th to 1st fast ) + engine grunt at the bottom end. This accompanied with inexperience, overconfidence and belief in huge stroke of luck etc. lead to these accidents.
Old 26th May 2009, 20:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

If they are asking for high compensation, then refuse and get your insurance company involved. Get the FIR registered properly with the matters like how you were rear ended when slowing for traffic and how he had no helmet written and the out of state bike with no tax papers... all very clearly mentioned.

Get a lawyer appointed and let the case run its course. If you go to the police station with him, the lawyer himself can make the other party mess up their pants with the overwhelming evidence favoring you. If you make your stance clear that you aren't going to pay money for their fault, they will probably back down and go their way.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:48   #33
Senior - BHPian

Did you meet those guys yesterday? Whats the update ?
Old 27th May 2009, 14:43   #34
BHPian

Hi All, Thanks for your excellent support. Yes, I did meet them yesterday at the Police station. Before we could present our case, they said they don't want any compensation nor they want to press any charges. They also confirmed they dont want to go through insurance route. Requested me to help them with easy relief from the situation. looks like they were enlightened. I agreed and we both dropped the charges. They gave it in writing in front of cops. That statement is with cops - I and other party have copies of the same.
After the whole thing, i gave them a drop to hospital. Couldn't meet the victim as we were way past visiting hours of the hospital. However, we were confirmed he is fine and was shifted from ICU to ward. We walked away after that.
But I had a strange feeling after i left. They did not "thank" for the act nor I saw any remorse in their eyes. I know it was an accident, still... It was just me feeling a bit hollow and it just got a little deeper when I saw the bolero today morning which is still sporting the dents and bends..
I plan to leave it that way for a while. Anyway, I had plans to remove the number plates and put up a stickered number on rear door.Need to figure out how I light it. Bumper and body needs work - am worried about the paint job. Last time when workshop guys scratched the roof and did repaint FOC, it took a while for them to get the paint combination (formula as they said).. I will move into get this done once I have some spare time on hand. With rains around I dont know when that will be.
Once again - thanks for all your guidance and support. let me know if there are anythings that I need to ensure are covered up from legal perspective.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

Good that you are out and things are resolved. Time to move on.

BTW if you are getting the denting/panting done at authorized workshop, rain should not be the problem. They must that painting and drying room which dries of the paint fast.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
But I had a strange feeling after i left. They did not "thank" for the act nor I saw any remorse in their eyes. I know it was an accident, still... It was just me feeling a bit hollow and it just got a little deeper when I saw the bolero today morning which is still sporting the dents and bends..
I can understand how you feel brah! Due to no fault of your's you had to go through such an ordeal, face hostility, and maybe shell 13K on your ride.
On top of that no remorse, no thanks, no nothing.
But you did something which most road users would pass on.
Like Budrani says: Good people always suffer.
Old 27th May 2009, 15:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Good to know that its resolved, and wishing you the very best in getting the jeep fixed at the earliest
Old 27th May 2009, 15:41   #38
Team-BHP Support

Glad you came out okay. Even if it is not your fault, there is always that remorse that someone got injured on your watch! Time will heal that.

They probably did not thank since they felt guilty. Cops were piling on you for settlement as it was the easy route for them. Stick to your guns and things fall into place.
Old 27th May 2009, 16:24   #39
BHPian

Thanks again.
@rkbharat: My concern about rains and painting is not about the facility, it's about me having to live without jeep during commute in rains..
Old 27th May 2009, 16:30   #40
BHPian

Boleroboy- been following this from day one. glad to know things turned out weel for you in the end. You did everything right and glad everything came out right. Cheers mate and enjoy the relief. Another day another new drive. keep smiling.
Old 27th May 2009, 17:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

BoleroBoy,

Glad to see that the issue has been settled! Yeah, maybe something hit them hard over the night and they got enlightened!

And for your emptiness, nothing much to do about it.

I now am a bit more careful than earlier when I drive to work everyday! It is the same route I take.
Old 27th May 2009, 19:25   #42
BHPian

Was following this thread from yesterday. Its nice to see that you got out with a bumped bumper and nothing else.
Old 27th May 2009, 19:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Was following this thread from yesterday. Its nice to see that you got out with a bumped bumper and nothing else.
A bumped bumper and lot of tension and stress. Also he got out of it with a clearer picture of common mentality of an average Indian---"put the blame on the bloke with the bigger vehicle and rob him off to the max."

In the end it is surprising that they dropped the idea of going ahead with the legal stuff as also the idea of seeking compensation but still no thanks to the gentleman who saw to it that the biker gets immediate treatment, who kept on listening to the accusations without reacting and never at all lost his cool even after suffering financial loss due to no fault of his. Also his granpa suffered due to the mishap.
Kudos to Boleroboy, its not easy to find such people in this world.

As for the sudden 'enlightment' the biker's family seem to have achieved maybe they consulted a lawyer or a cop, who then must have told them that the case went against them as that biker had no helmet and all the stuff.

Anyways, glad to hear that the ordeal is over and that the biker is safe.

Regards.
Old 27th May 2009, 20:30   #44
BHPian

so next time something like this happens, I'll drive away...
No I will make sure I get the evidances clear, with all convesations recorded on my mobile and clicking lots of pictues at the spot. Also I'll have to be ready for mental harrasment, even if my darling receives some dents and damages.

I think I should better drive away !!! Bhalai ka zamana hi nahi hai !

Help the victim
To Be Or Not To Be.
Old 28th May 2009, 13:19   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that the saga is over with them, car reparing and painting is next on hand. See if you can cover this with insurance without affecting No-Claim-Bonus.
You did your best to help the other party, but they realised it sooner or later and glad that it is settled, Their son in hospital, they should realise the help given by you, but not realised, okay, time to move on.
There are other important things in life

Most Viewed