Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2005, 21:28   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

PICS : FATAL Lancer 1.8 Invex Crash

To quote a friend of the owner:

Doing about 140 km/h coming down the Opera House Bridge (going east). Crossed the junction, understeered and clipped the pavement. Car turned turtle and then landed back the right side up. Unfortunately, the driver has passed away. The three passengers walked away with minor bruises. Our condolences with the drivers family.

Old 7th June 2005, 21:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey the Opera house bridge is the one that crosses over the railway tracks right? Wow, 140 is a lot on that road.

Shan2nu
Old 7th June 2005, 21:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

thats one bad accident...hope people realise that it aint worth speeding in town anymore.
very lucky dint take any more people with him....luck/ god was with the other three.
the lancer looks bad but cabin is good for a topple...expected it to be totally crushed in for that speed...

Last edited by iceman91 : 7th June 2005 at 21:34.
Old 7th June 2005, 21:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

My condolences to the driver's family too. Very bad accident, had seen a similar accident on Link Road, Bandra. A Honda City was involved. It looked almost the same, the car toppled, glass shattered, suspension torn out from the bonnet. Complete write-off.

Anyways, whats that white bag/cloth on the steering wheel?! The driver's shirt or an airbag??
Old 7th June 2005, 21:44   #5
Team-BHP Support

God, when they're going to understand???
Old 7th June 2005, 21:51   #6
BHPian

Very bad...i am trying to picture myself in the driver's place, must have been horrible. Speeding near a railway bridge it isn't right to do that with three people with you...remember the thread in which one of our members raced with the Porsche with his relativesbehind, that too wasn't right.The same thing could ahve happened to him, but, Thank God it didn't
Old 7th June 2005, 22:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely horrible. 140 is no speed to do at Opera House . I really wonder when people will learn to be cautious and not try antics at unwanted times. Very unfortunate for the driver. I hope people learn a lesson from this mishap

Dippy
Old 7th June 2005, 22:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
God, when they're going to understand???
He ran out of time.

Which every way he came, it's quite a short distance to hit 140 kmph, seems like the Invex accelerates pretty fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Anyways, whats that white bag/cloth on the steering wheel?! The driver's shirt or an airbag??
That's the airbag. Doesnt the Invex come with passenger side airbag?

What time of the day was this? Was it a case of DUI?

I'm just glad he didn't put any people around the car in harm's way.
Old 7th June 2005, 22:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

mostly when people get big cars, they always think itz always gonna b in their control. but usually, more power means more control is needed. I mean he wouldn't have dared to do say 100km in a maruti rite?
Old 7th June 2005, 23:05   #10
F50
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad to hear about the driver. This must have happened during night. Man, open roads are too tempting for anyone. This was Auto. Lancer.
Old 7th June 2005, 23:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if he was belted? I see the airbag did go off, but w/o seatbelts its not much use.
Old 8th June 2005, 01:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

i guess he didnt have his seat belt on because if he did im sure he would have survived possibly with injuries but would hve definitly survived.

rev
Old 8th June 2005, 01:38   #13
BHPian

From the looks of the crash and the condition of the car ... I am sure the driver wasnt wearing any seatlbelts else he wud have survived since the roof hasnt come crashing down on the passengers and also the others survived with minor crashes
Old 8th June 2005, 01:58   #14
Senior - BHPian

i doubt this having taken place at 140 kph ,as at those speeds when the car turned turtle it ahs to skid on the road before it stops .buthere the roof has no such skid marks.

still...sad that this had to happen.maybe the driver was not having seat belts on.
Old 8th June 2005, 02:15   #15
BANNED

I am not sure if the driver was wearing seatbelts, probably not. When the front seat passenger or the driver is not wearing a seatbelt, that air bag can do a lot of damage. The explosion that causes the airbag to burst out has the energy to break the neck with ease.

People may find the tickets for not wearing seatbelts pretty cheap in India, but it is not cheap when you consider the value of life. I guess it will take many more such accidents before the message is understood by the masses.

I hate it when my parents or relatives tell me- "I am just going to the next block/road, I dont need to wear the seat belt". It does'nt matter does it? A drunk jerk may be speeding at you anywhere.
-Prasadee

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks