Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 02:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have hit a few with the left ovrm. And I stopped each time. All I got was dirty/pained looks from them. None of them complained or shouted at me .
Old 29th May 2009, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Dont know if complaining will help in anyway!

Once an old man hit my ORVM while swinging his arm, trying to signal someone, in Jayanagar 9th block market. Nothing really happened but he gave me a dirty look, to which I said sorry, for no fault of mine.

But legally, dont know whether this stands a chance for fine/charge sheet.

Nainar
Old 29th May 2009, 12:27   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
But legally, dont know whether this stands a chance for fine/charge sheet.
If you get on a pavemnet and hit someone while driving your vehicle you get hauled up.

If you are walking and are on the road and not on a zebra crossing or marked area you can be fined for jaywalking.

If there is no pavement and you are walking on the road and you get hit, youcan be fined for jay walking.

All the above is true if there is no major injury to the person walking.

If the person is badly injured, etc, you are in the soup - pavement or no pavement, zebra or no zebra.

But biggest factor - Yeh India hai mera bhai.

Last edited by Spitfire : 29th May 2009 at 12:29.
Old 29th May 2009, 12:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
If you get on a pavemnet and hit someone while driving your vehicle you get hauled up.

If the person is badly injured, etc, you are in the soup - pavement or no pavement, zebra or no zebra.

But biggest factor - Yeh India hai mera bhai.
This is pretty much the case. Driving on the pavement and injuring a pedestrian will invoke prosecution on Reckless driving, not amounting to culpable homicide ( heard this term used many times during TV debates on Nanda case and checked the net for what it entails ).

Yes, if the person is injured, no matter where, the driver is going to be in soup. But what kind of law is invoked against such cases?

Nainar
Old 29th May 2009, 13:45   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohit, walking on the right side (opposite to direction of traffic) is a safe & good practice.
Quote:
amohit .. there are chances that the oncoming driver would be able to better judge the gap between me and the car.
Based on what you have said, the cab was coming in the opp direction. It was on your left = you were on the left of the cab.

You remember that basic rule when driving ? " Dont Overtake from the Left " ?

Well, this rule was made because the driver of a larger vehicle is on the right side of the vehicle he is driving. No matter how much care he takes, the left side of the vehicle is still on his (relatively) "wrong" side. The driver of that 4+ wheeler can see less on the left side, when compared to what he can see on his right side.

Consider this, and you may be able to see why the point you have mentioned is not so 100% true.

Extending the point I have mentioned above, pls remember that when you are riding a two wheeler. It is not that that cab driver doesnt want to see what is on the left side of the vehicle.

Not that I am justifying what has happened. It's more to illustrate the limitations that the cab driver /car driver / bus-driver is subject to. So you can give yourself a safer margin space when you are out there on the road.

Most Viewed