Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 13:18   #1
BHPian

Cab hits and runs while walking on the side of the road

It is about 12:00 PM. I was feeling hungry to got out of my office and was walking to the eatery which is about 5-6 min walk from my office.
I was walking on the road which is not a main road and the road has very minimal traffic.

On this road there is a park and as soon as the park ends, there is a house adjacent to the part compound. There is footpath until the end of the part and after that there are only houses continuously and there is nothing like a footpath exist. I was walking towards the extreme left side of the road as I usually do. As I got down to the road from the footpath and had barely walked 4-5 steps in front of the house, a tata sumo cab passed by me so closely that the left ORVM of the cab hit my right arm and though I yelled at him, he did not stop and he sped away. My arm is still paining a bit as I type.

I have noted down the cab's registration number.
I want to complain about this cab hitting a pedestrain (me) and sped away. what should I do?
Old 28th May 2009, 17:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very sad incident. These cab drivers tribe is getting worse day by day.
What will happen if you complain ? There will be such an ordeal that its better not to complain. And there are chances that the cab driver might be well connected as the cab might not be his, but belonging to some travels, etc. And also the cab drivers are quite well known to police as they pay bribe and do all wrong stuff like overloading, etc.

I know it really hurts to get hit without your fault, but if its major thing, move on. Complaining will only eat more of your energy and resources.
Old 28th May 2009, 18:01   #3
BANNED

Oh you are in Bangalore. I tell you dealing with the cab driver and the police here will be a bigger pain then the one in your arm.

But if you are a localite and well connected please do complain. If not, get on with life.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

When in situations like the one you described, I always make it a point to look backwards for approaching vehicles before stepping off the pavement. For all that you know, there could be a vehicle coming from the extreme left, owing to compulsions like overtaking a truck that refuses to give way, or avoiding a pothole, or avoiding a bike that suddenly swerved, etc, etc.
On the other hand, my left OVRM has taken 2 hits from jaywalkers who not only stepped onto the road in gay abandon, but also swung their arms outwards as if they are walking on their backyards.
I don't think it is worth filing a complaint. Anyways, I am sorry that you had to go through this.

Last edited by vnabhi : 28th May 2009 at 19:48.
Old 28th May 2009, 19:54   #5
BHPian

Boss if you go and complain people will laugh. And in case you are able to put a pressure on them, they will send you for medical checkup. And I don't see other than pain you can describe them anything. So no case against him. Get some good pain killer and take good care of yourself and forgot about this incident.
Old 28th May 2009, 20:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfyre View Post
I was walking towards the extreme left side of the road as I usually do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I always make it a point to look backwards for approaching vehicles before stepping off the pavement.

I walk towards the right. This way I atleast know what is coming and have a small chance of getting out of the way.
Moreover there are chances that the oncoming driver would be able to better judge the gap between me and the car.

Regards,
Old 28th May 2009, 20:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Couple of weeks back a cab almost brushed me while taking off from signal, when i caught him up at next signal was shocked to see it was an very young guy might be in his 18 or 19...

Can just say its scary!
Old 28th May 2009, 21:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I walk towards the right. This way I atleast know what is coming and have a small chance of getting out of the way.
Moreover there are chances that the oncoming driver would be able to better judge the gap between me and the car.
This is exactly what I do, this way I can atleast jump out of the way if need be.

But, if your luck runs out, nothing can be done. Case in point being the usual culprits- cycles and autos trying to squeeze in the wrong lane waiting to cut across the road can be a concern. Confront them and they'll tell YOU to walk on the left. I had slapped one cycle-fellow long back in a similar situation- when confronted he abused me in Kannada assuming I didn't understand since I shouted at him in Hindi. These guys are a pain in the b***. But sadly nothing can be done. Be cautious and aware of your surroundings at all times. Thats all.

Hope you recover soon, take some rest and you should be good to go.
Old 28th May 2009, 21:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

In retrospect, a well aimed granite projectile would be of immense satisfaction.

But then again, my religion teaches me to do otherwise , and I dont think I'd have the presence of mind to do it any way
Old 28th May 2009, 22:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
In retrospect, a well aimed granite projectile would be of immense satisfaction
Agreed What else can a pedestrian do against a 1.5 ton weapon
Old 28th May 2009, 22:10   #11
BHPian

Looking at the INDICA and SUMO (cab) I started hating the TATA Company itself. Every CAB's run on the road as if they have a permission to do any thing. Violating rule/ Hitting some one/ Driving rash ...
I think GOVT should really think on the Centralize DB for Driver/Insurence/Vehicle.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:09   #12
BHPian

Quote:
In retrospect, a well aimed granite projectile would be of immense satisfaction.

But then again, my religion teaches me to do otherwise , and I dont think I'd have the presence of mind to do it any way
You could also consider rotten eggs, ripe tomatoes and anything that creates an instant mess.

As for religion, an arsonist can be a religious person can't he/she? No conflict of interest there my friend. Chuck away. NOTE: Would avoid projectiles that when launched could result in a threat to your personal safety
Old 28th May 2009, 23:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly what my classmate in college did once.

We were walking down the road on Residency Rd, towards Cash Pharmacy. A cab ( believe it was an Indica), came very close to us and ended up hitting my friend's hand. The driver was on the phone, and taking down some notes. He didn't realize that he hit my friend,and kept driving. This annoyed my buddy so much, that in an instant he bent down and picked up a decent sized stone and off it went towards the boot of the car. Bamm!! on target, and that made the driver stop.
After the expected confrontation, we just walked off leaving the driver fuming. My friend's analogy- you hit my hand I hit your car! As simple as that.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:30   #14
BHPian

Think about this folks...
My neighbor walked to a nearby shop(hardly 100 mts) and returning home, when a Wagon R hit him head on. This chap was walking on the side of road, and the driver had to move a bit.

This would have been fairly simple, but the lady at the wheel panicked and footed accelerator instead of brake, and the wheel ran over his leg completely and broke 2 bones in leg, and his leg is virtually in two pieces one part literally hanging.

Is it fate or "woman driver syndrome" ? (No offence intended)
Dont know but an innocent pedestrian had to pay a big price.

Its just that may of drivers driving on our roads donot know how to react to panic situations.
I taught driving to a few people, and I always tell them, its not how you drive, but how you anticipate and react is important.

Our RTO checks to issue licenses is most corrupt, and need good wash through. Dont know who and when will have the initiative to do it.
Old 28th May 2009, 23:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Its just that may of drivers driving on our roads donot know how to react to panic situations.
I taught driving to a few people, and I always tell them, its not how you drive, but how you anticipate and react is important.
Right said, sriturl.
If the average person takes just a fraction of time & effort in watching where they go, accidents would be a rare thing. Its human nature to panic, but being cautious is something each & every person should implement.
I hope your neighbor recovers fully at the earliest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks