Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2009, 16:34   #1
BHPian

Brake fail causes riots in Khopoli

in the morning today, an 18-wheeler truck which was coming down from khandala towards khopoli crushed 8-10 people and injured atleast 15-20 people. many auto rickshaws and 2-wheelers were crushed under it. due to the decline and heavy load the break liners of the truck must have heated up which might have caused the break failure. the truck finally rammed into a tree which was next to a bridge on a river. the tree prevented the truck from falling into the river.

the crowd went crazy after this and damaged all the trucks and trailers coming down from khandala ghat. atleast 26-27 trucks have been damaged, windsheilds broken and tyres punctured. it looks like a movie scene as the trucks have been stopped right in the middle of the road. even the policemen were beaten up. khopoli remains closed for today.

policemen have been brought down from pen and alibaug to control the situation. i am putting this up at team-bhp as lots of people from mumbai take the old route towards khandala i.e. nh4. i advice them to take the expressway instead. bikers beware as you cannot use the expressway.

a friend of mine lost his cousin brother in this accident.
Old 31st May 2009, 19:03   #2
BHPian

ohh!! thats a nasty accident.
But why did the people tried to damage other trucks and trailers.Is there any injuries for these truck drivers?
Old 31st May 2009, 19:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats really really sad. Are they sure its a brake failure?

I dont get this Indian mentality to destroy the property, when an Life has been taken in an accident.

Why not be peaceful and mournful for the departed instead?
Old 31st May 2009, 22:38   #4
BHPian

they even bashed up a senior ncp leader and a senior shiv sena leader. the driver and the cleaner survied but very beaten up half dead. they are in hospital. now the situation is peaceful in khopoli. the anger in the crowd was due to that spot being a regular accident spot. it is a junction connecting 4 lanes. 1 going towards pune, 2nd coming from pune, 3rd towards mumbai and 4th towars alibaug. it has no signal and traffic police is also rarely seen there.
Old 31st May 2009, 22:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
the crowd went crazy after this and damaged all the trucks and trailers coming down from khandala ghat.
a friend of mine lost his cousin brother in this accident.
Mob Fury in India is something that can never be controlled!
I Feel Sorry for your friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I dont get this Indian mentality to destroy the property, when an Life has been taken in an accident.

Why not be peaceful and mournful for the departed instead?
Well, All I can think of is, the aam-aadmi, who does not have anything to do and is Jaywalking on a Highway would like to have his own share of revenge on the things he cannot afford or the ones which seem to threaten his life.
Old 1st June 2009, 00:39   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Mob Fury in India is something that can never be controlled!
I Feel Sorry for your friend!

Well, All I can think of is, the aam-aadmi, who does not have anything to do and is Jaywalking on a Highway would like to have his own share of revenge on the things he cannot afford or the ones which seem to threaten his life.
well my friends cousin was crushed under that truck.
the auto rickshaws and many people that were injured belonged to HALL gaon in khopoli. it wasn't the comman man on the highway but the gaon walas that went on a rampage.
Old 1st June 2009, 00:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

In most cases mob fury is nothing more than a way for the common man to vent out his personal frustration in life. There is no logic behind demaging 26 trucks that had nothing to do with the accident.

Shan2nu
Old 1st June 2009, 01:15   #8
BHPian

some pictures of the truck whose brakes failed.
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2009, 01:33   #9
BHPian

My condolence to the people who died in this terrible accident.
There is a good way to protest and a bad way. It is sad that most of the times people resort to the bad way. I feel sorry for the people, vehicles and property who were unlucky to be within reach of the mob.
What is sadder is that most of the times, it takes such incidents to get the authorities notice. This just reenforces the wrong belief that to get attention, break whatever you can!
Old 1st June 2009, 10:59   #10
BHPian

and now the trucks that were damaged
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2009, 11:11   #11
BHPian

and some more

and some more
Attached Images

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th June 2009 at 11:20. Reason: Back to back posts. Thanks
Old 1st June 2009, 11:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

sad to see such a destruction and my condolences to the effected people.
but whats the idea is damaging other trucks and causing such a traffic jam?
Old 1st June 2009, 11:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

what is the fault of these other truck drivers that they have to pay a price. I can see an oil tanker also attacked, had it exploded the hooligans would have realised the cost of their so called demonstration.

Its just sad and sick to get your vehicles damaged for being at the wrong place, I was once in a similar situation, before things got worse, I quicky escaped and avoided damages to my car.
Old 1st June 2009, 13:29   #14
BHPian

the news has come on the 3rd page of today's times of india (mumbai) dont know about other cities' papers. but the info is a little wrong there.
Old 1st June 2009, 17:40   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawabnabeel View Post
in the morning today, an 18-wheeler truck which was coming down from khandala towards khopoli crushed 8-10 people and injured atleast 15-20 people. many auto rickshaws and 2-wheelers were crushed under it.
Frightening situation being in the way of an 18 wheeler with no brakes

1. Is it confirmed that the brakes had failed?

2. Was heat the cause of brake failure, or was it poor maintenance?

3. Who was driving? What was the experience level of the driver? Has he been put through an alcohol test?

Absolutely no justification for the mob fury. But I've seen one too many poorly maintained truck being driven by a cleaner boy. Do keep us updated on case developments.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks