Team-BHP - Where are the Cops when you need them?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Where are the Cops when you need them? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/59625-where-cops-when-you-need-them.html)

What I have posted below really happend tonight. And there was nothing I could do about it given the circumstances and fear of my well being.

About an hour ago I was in heading home via Ulsoor road, I saw something really disturbing. An auto was forced into my lane from the ongoing traffic lane and right beside that a black santro and one more santro, color of the second santro I didn't notice, The black santro had forced the auto to stop.
For a while I didn't know what was going on, then I saw something that really scared me. I saw 3 guys get down from the black santro and go toward the auto, This is when I saw a girl get down and run from the auto,, One of the guys tried had caught her but she managed to get away and run. I dont know if they caught her again or what happend after this, I didnt want to stick around.
I didn't know what was going on! But knew something wasn't right.
Strangely this black santro did not have front or back number plates. I tried looking for one so maybe I could report the car but nothing.
with such heavy rains everything I saw seemed straight off a bollywood movie! It was like watching a scene from a movie, I couldn't believe my own eyes.
I didn't know what to do, I was alone such heavy rains, not many people around. There was nothing I could do. Whoever that girl was I pray she is safe please:

And right after this in cubbon road,, I see a drunk couple in a Tavera. :Frustrati The guy was drinking a can of beer and driving. All most banged into me. All this when I was stopped at a signal !!! he rolls down his window and screams and me in the local language while drinking his can of beer.

Where are the cops when you need them? They come and stop you for everything else, silencers, and horns and lights but when something is really happening there is no one around?? :@ I'm still a bit shaken up by what I saw, The City isn't what it used to be anymore.

Sounds surreal. Hope the girl's all right. In hindsight, maybe you should have attempted to help her, but it's difficult to think of the right thing in situations like that....

Like you said, it was night in heavy downpour. Don't blame the cops for seeking shelter...Maybe this girl was running away and those people were her brothers/relatives? Wishful thinking...

I had a tingly feel when I read the title of the thread, hoping it's not a Bangalore related incident and lo, it is an incident that has taken place in B'lore!!

I can understand your fear and trepidation. Lets just hope the girl is safe from harm. It's ok, even if you could not do much.A few years back, I tried to intervene to vouch for a person's innocence who was being wrongfully accused of and being threatened for hitting a scooterist with his car. It was so apparent that it was a setup. I was roughened up by the thugs immediately. They were 2 beat cops, one with a rifle who did not even bother to interfere. Fortunately their punches and attempted kicks didn't connect, and was lucky to get out of there because my brother and cousin managed to drag me off. All this while the cops and the crowd just watched on. It's not just the cops mate , it's the system at large that has crumbled because of corruption and fear. It's just so dam frustrating! Wanted to lodge a complaint on returning home , but my family dissuaded me from doing so, thinking it could land me in big trouble with the cops and all the related tamasha. The helplessness of the entire situation was the most frustrating bit for the next few days. All I hoped for was that the guy and his family in the car were safe.

Life is not a movie. One against atleast 3 is no odds to go up against. The fact that they didn't seem to care that they had witnesses tells things. I really feel bad for the lady and hope she got away. Worse for her would be the mental trauma. Given your situation, I don't see what you could have done. At most flash your lights, i guess, to hopefully scare them off. But the way you described it, i doubt they would have got sacred off and may have instead come after you. This would have been good for the lady, potentially not good for you.
I'm all for protection of women and such. But my family comes first. If i get killed or hurt, it is my family who has to suffer and pay the price. I'll fight for my family, but not do so at the expense of my family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DriverR (Post 1327742)
Life is not a movie. One against atleast 3 is no odds to go up against. Given your situation, I don't see what you could have done. At most flash your lights, i guess, to hopefully scare them off.

Chase them with your car, maybe even hit them? But then again, as you said, there's always the risk that they'll come after you later...it's all fair in hindsight. But I'm glad this topic's been started. Hopefully this thread will come up with suggestions as to what can be done in similar situations

Important thing is that you did what you thought was right at the time. I know that most don't react well in high stress situations, I don't either, I however suffer from the 'Hero' syndrome.

1 - I would've called the cops, or a highly placed official I know.
2 - Would've tried to tail the unmarked car trying to find out where the culprits went.
3 - Would've driven closer to at the very least catch a good glimpse of one of their faces/whip out my phone and click some snaps in rapid capture mode. (The way I drive and the fact that the culprits had a santro, no way in hell they have any chance of catching me! Heavy rains means that they can't read my license plate (no lights))

The next thing if a drunk driver tried to get excessively vulgar with me at a traffic light for no reason, well let's just say the cops would get involved...

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory (Post 1327672)
An auto was forced into my lane from the ongoing traffic lane and right beside that a black santro and one more santro, color of the second santro I didn't notice, The black santro had forced the auto to stop.
I saw 3 guys get down from the black santro and go toward the auto, This is when I saw a girl get down and run from the auto,, One of the guys tried had caught her but she managed to get away and run. I dont know if they caught her again or what happend after this, I didnt want to stick around.

Didn't the autodriver do anything? Usually when I had any altercation or argument with an autodriver , suddenly out of nowhere some 50 autodrivers usually come to his call.:Frustrati
Now where does there union go during these times?? Or do they have exception to their calls of brotherhood.:deadhorse

Ah! Once again.
I hope the girl was able to get away.
You see the current state of Indian law and its implementation. What next can we expect ? May be they will next time hit somebody innocent and run away with anything they want.

1) Rather than calling the cops and endangering yourself as the cops will come and arrest you.

2) Try your best to help others by flashing headlights. Generally these anti social elements, etc are scared off by a determined look, but not always. Those with influence and money are rather very dangerous.

this is not something you encounter daily. Those guys in two santros were after that lady and were not afraid of anything. Could me money or political power. Not sure, but a call to cops is always good and if possible to stay away but still see whats going on or tail the car so that cops can reach you/ victim.
Getting straight on with the guys can be dangerous and could be life threatening to you as well (even if you are a cop)

Whats alarming is at that precise moment about 100 people could have witnessed the same.

3 against 100? Those guys could have been in an ICU.

We are all cowards.

Someone said my family comes first. Remember you cant always be there all the time.

Another thing to notice is no number plates, this was planned.

Does 100 work? I've never had a reason to use the service, but in situations like this, it would be good to know that if anyone were to dial the Police, they would respond, irrespective of the time and place.

Gregory, did you report this to the police later? You must do that. Did you note down the auto's number? He must have got a look at the guys and the cops can question him.
If you haven't, do it now. If cops harass you, PM me their names and i will handle it from here. But go and make a statement. Not FIR, but just a statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl (Post 1328114)
Gregory, did you report this to the police later? You must do that. Did you note down the auto's number? He must have got a look at the guys and the cops can question him.
If you haven't, do it now. If cops harass you, PM me their names and i will handle it from here. But go and make a statement. Not FIR, but just a statement.

I'm sure Gregory is going to be harassed if he goes to the cops now, long after the incident has happened. he will definitely be asked 'What were you doing all this time? you could have called us there only'....and so on.

I'm not discouraging him from doing anything, but this is the system in our country:Frustrati

I did read about a kidnapping case in Sundays paper, was it this? You must have witnessed it then. It was about a college girl getting kidnapped.

Let me see if I can dig up the article.

Edit: Nope! This is different. That kidnapping had happend on Friday, near VV puram, during the day. Link in DNA

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 1328144)
I'm sure Gregory is going to be harassed if he goes to the cops now, long after the incident has happened. he will definitely be asked 'What were you doing all this time? you could have called us there only'....and so on.

Better late than never. Any small clue given to the cops can be vital. And cops are not always the bad guys. Put yourself in the girl's family place and then think if you wanted every piece of info.

I'm saying this, cause i was in a similar situation once and i went to the cops and gave a statement.

And that's why i said that if the cops give him trouble, i am in a position to handle it from here.

Quote:

I'm not discouraging him from doing anything, but this is the system in our country
Be the change! Change the system don't change yourself!