Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 00:44   #1
BHPian

Bus hit my bike

I was going to office at around 10:30 AM. ON bannerghatta Road Near Sagar Apolo Hospital I was going in left most lane as next to my right there was a bus. This bus did not put any indicator and suddenly take left turn and lamost ran down my bike. I shouted and bus stopped.
There were 4 traffic police, i talked to those guys and they were not intersted rather they told bus driver to go. I was not irritated as i was not expecting much from them. Neither did bus driver apologized.

I was just thinking this is india where we live and you are always on your own.

Called towing service and towed till enfield service station and they quoted for approx 7K.

This was that BUs
Bus hit my bike-03062009.jpg

Damages
Bus hit my bike-03062009_001.jpg
Bus hit my bike-03062009_002.jpg
Old 4th June 2009, 01:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the crash! Thats really unfortunate.
Hope you weren't injured.
I think you should go ahead and talk to the officials at Oxford college. Since you have pictures as evidence, they may be willing to work something out with you (in an effort to avoid a police case etc).

This is what happens when untrained personnel get behind the wheels of such heavy vehicles.Thank God for you, the damages were restricted.
Old 4th June 2009, 01:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

That is a very bad incident. Did you get injured also?
Old 4th June 2009, 01:49   #4
BANNED

Let us all in Bangalore call that number and tell them about this incident. We can tell them who we are and what legal step can we take against them collectively. They have to pay for the damages and bring the driver to task.

What say guys?
Old 4th June 2009, 07:43   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Let us all in Bangalore call that number and tell them about this incident. We can tell them who we are and what legal step can we take against them collectively. They have to pay for the damages and bring the driver to task.

What say guys?
Legal is out of question I think but we sure can make them know how callous their drivers are.

Akash, it was mistake of you to leave it at that. If you just request things won't happen you should have insisted and forced the driver to acknowledge the mishap and taken some compensation from him there itself or registered a complaint.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Dude, thank God you are safe.
An Omni did the same thing to me. My right most finger in leg was brushed and then crushed between my Spirit and Omni's wheels. Before I could say a thing or two, he ran and I was in middle of the road, bleeding from my leg.

That day I learnt one lesson : If you are on two wheeler ( that is very unfortunate if you are in India ), make sure you maintain a very very safe distance from others.

I am sorry to remind of one incidence like this. It was some TBHP member who was going to college and was crushed by lorry. Such intense are the consequences of riding two wheeler in India.

Now that you have the bus's number and details, complain to them about this.
Old 4th June 2009, 10:43   #7
BHPian

I hope you are alright. This is indeed very sad, but alas, that is the state of our fellow citizen's intelligence, especially those who have moved out of small towns to bigger ones without learning the law of the land and dont' care a fig for it or any rules.

Please file an FIR asap. Nothing less will help you claim anything for the damages that were made. Also, share the story with Press. For once, they will be doing something good. Bangalore Mirror will be a good platform for such reports.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

this is horrible, these drivers when they get hold of big vehicles forget smaller vehicles. How do they forget that once they come out of this vehicle and need to take smaller, (cycle, bike) to go to their home and this can happen with them too.

I for one, always consider myself in the position of other people, thank people for giving way, ask them to move in if they want to. anyway, OFFTOPIC.

Please speak to the school authorities with the images as a proof, though the bus would be maintained by some other person, but he definitely has to pay either in full or part for the damages.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Akas, i hope you are alright.

Were you standing next to the bus? Please do keep in mind that large vehicles have a large turning radius also. The Sagar junction is not too wide. the bus would have needed to have space on its left side to take the turn. If the bus was already on the left side of the road, with some space on its left side, the obvious assumption would be that it is going to turn left.

Riding a two wheeler is very dangerous in this country. Its best to err on the side of caution most of the times.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

What's wrong today? Auto hitting car. Bus hitting bike! Great to know you're safe. Nothing much you can do legally I guess.
Quote:

What say guys?
Are you serious about this? Who's going to pick up that call and help? A noble thought for sure but they know that not living in a fools paradise.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th June 2009 at 14:28.
Old 4th June 2009, 12:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What's wrong today? Auto hitting car. Bus hitting bike!
I also saw a Getz nudge a Skoda. Both were chauffeur driven.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:23   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Are you serious about this? Who's going to pick up that call and help? A nobel thought for sure but they know that not living in a fools paradise.
Yeah, if lot of folks call up and complain that the bus was being driven rashly and hit a bike and sped off, they "might" take some action.

Its an institution and one based on education at that, hoping against hope that they are atleast concerned about that.

Fools Paradise?
Old 4th June 2009, 14:53   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Sorry about the crash! Thats really unfortunate.
Hope you weren't injured.
I think you should go ahead and talk to the officials at Oxford college. Since you have pictures as evidence, they may be willing to work something out with you (in an effort to avoid a police case etc).

This is what happens when untrained personnel get behind the wheels of such heavy vehicles.Thank God for you, the damages were restricted.
I was busy with towing bike and getting insurance quote. I think i should have at least try going to traffic police station and complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
That is a very bad incident. Did you get injured also?
Thanks BlackPearl. No i do not have even a scratch except some pain in finger.

Quote:

What say guys?
That was very encouraging. Really appreciate what u said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Legal is out of question I think but we sure can make them know how callous their drivers are.

Akash, it was mistake of you to leave it at that. If you just request things won't happen you should have insisted and forced the driver to acknowledge the mishap and taken some compensation from him there itself or registered a complaint.
I did not like arguing with people (Bus driver in this case) to demand money. First thing i do not know Kannada and person who knows local language is a heavywight in these scnarios.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:15   #14
BHPian

I called that phone number written on the bus, but the persons who picked phone not even know how to speak in English. I asked him to give administrative officer phone number and they refused to and instead saying it's engg college not medical . does anybody know whom to complain in the medical college.
Old 4th June 2009, 15:52   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I called that phone number written on the bus, but the persons who picked phone not even know how to speak in English. I asked him to give administrative officer phone number and they refused to and instead saying it's engg college not medical.
And more excuses to come if you probe more. This is where we live and how we live. It may sound totally negative but if you don't really have the right contacts..I'm sorry nothing much you can do.
Quote:
Fools Paradise?
Isn't it? You, I know what happens here. Don't we? Example is there right above my reply.

However, as I said before your thought is good no doubt. But nothing is going to happen. So let's not harp on this any more.

Most Viewed