Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 16:15   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Power Window Switch 2048.81
Brake Fluid 378.06
Engine Oil 171
Hmmm. Would the brake fluid cost 378rs? Also, the power window switch @ 2050rs? I guess FORD A.S.S makes an A.S.S of their customers. OR do these things really cost this much?

Whatever, I love my maruti

Last edited by null : 24th December 2009 at 16:16.
Old 24th December 2009, 16:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
alternator bracket? i think, thats just a piece of metal that holds the pulleys. no way that can be damaged in a water logging scenario.

If this is exactly what you say, would it cost 12K???
Old 24th December 2009, 17:40   #18
BHPian

Good to know your car is back and with minimal rip off. How long it took to get the car back form repair?
Old 24th December 2009, 17:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I had been silent about this. After visiting Metro Ford H'ghatta workshop and inspecting the car, and talking to the supervisors, I decided to let them fix it. Apparently, there was water intake in the engine, and I did not want to risk getting it fixed somewhere else. They also mentioned that the quote of Rs. 1,74,000 was the absolute worst case figure if they had to replace the engine ECU, and other parts.
The final bill came to just around 30K. I had to claim insurance, and paid around 15K from my pocket. These were the parts damaged (with their prices)

Part MRP
Strap Wiring 23.52
Transmission Oil 266.12
Clutch Cylinder 2137.34
Seal HTR inlet 8.14
Fuel Filter 154.69
Heater Hose Asy 1369.61
Hose Degas Return 155.87
Idler Pulley 1072.97
Oil Filter 90.63
Carpet Floor Sponge 813.37
Element Air cleaner 296.55
Winshield Washer Pump 678.18
Alternator Bracket 12653.05
Power Window Switch 2048.81
V Belt AC 1368.9
Brake Fluid 378.06
Engine Oil 171

After this, the car is running fine & well. The only difference is that I did not replace Autocop (which was also damaged) so now I dont have remove entry anymore. I even drove to Kadaikanal and back recently, and the car is in absolute good health! She's quite a survivor :-)
Good to know that your car is back in shape and you didn't have to shell out a bomb. All's well that ends well

Cheers
Old 24th December 2009, 18:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

So you paid Rs.1.74L to make the car running again and ofcourse it is running fine now. How much do you anticipate the Insurance company will pay? What would be the car's resale value now?(for a 4 year old car)
imo, you should have also tried with some private workshop and asked them how much she is worth on 'as is where is' condition? Then you could have come to know how much the car is worth to repair and run or should have gone for a new car?
Old 24th December 2009, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
So you paid Rs.1.74L to make the car running again and ofcourse it is running fine now. How much do you anticipate the Insurance company will pay? What would be the car's resale value now?(for a 4 year old car)
imo, you should have also tried with some private workshop and asked them how much she is worth on 'as is where is' condition? Then you could have come to know how much the car is worth to repair and run or should have gone for a new car?
He spent 30K, not 1.74L!!! His update was there below!
Old 24th December 2009, 19:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
He spent 30K, not 1.74L!!! His update was there below!
As per his post, he paid just 15K and balance was paid by insurance!
Old 27th December 2009, 09:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I guess FORD A.S.S makes an A.S.S of their customers. OR do these things really cost this much?
@null: I dont think they were making an a$$ of their customers, because these parts were listed along with their MRP's on a company letter head. Ford parts are expensive, especially compared to Maruti, like you say.

To others who queried about if changing the alternator bracket was necessary... my idea at that time was that anyways I'm claiming insurance, and it being a metal part, insurance pays the lion's share, so why question it! I got a new part for my old car.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I had been silent about this. After visiting Metro Ford H'ghatta workshop and inspecting the car,
These were the parts damaged (with their prices)

Part MRP

Alternator Bracket 12653.05
She's quite a survivor :-)
Hey Floyd
Are you sure there is no error in this? It sounds more like the whole wlternator with the bracket. Check the car and the bool if they've put in a new alternator. It must be shining still if it's been changed
Old 27th December 2009, 16:40   #25
BHPian

I am quite sure it must be a new alternator though even a new alternator with bracket is also way too expensive for Rs. 12K.

AFAIK a Maruti 800 alternator costs around Rs. 3K.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
It sounds more like the whole wlternator with the bracket.
Could be... I rummaged thru my desk to find the estimate papers which Metro Ford had given me, and this part is mentioned as "BRKT ALTR & P/ST MTG". Part number 1488357.
Old 28th August 2018, 15:26   #27
BANNED

Re: Car got waterlogged, repairs estimate greater than resale value, what to do?

My 2008 Maruthi Alto Lxi got fully immersed in flood. Insured value is 95K. Maruthi authorised workshop blindly gave an estimate of 2.5L, forcing me to go for "total loss". But I believe I could probably get it fixed from another authorised workshop at lesser cost, may be about 30K.

What should I do ?. Even if I repair, will there be lot of trouble in future ?
Old 28th August 2018, 17:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car got waterlogged, repairs estimate greater than resale value, what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
My 2008 Maruthi Alto Lxi got fully immersed in flood ...

It would be recommended to scrap the car. While the Alto is a fairly simple car to repair, chances are very high of you having recurring problems unless it is repaired correctly. It might not take too much money if you do partial DIY, but the risk is too high.
Old 28th August 2018, 18:04   #29
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageo View Post
Get a detailed evaluation done at another Maruti authorised service centre to assess what is the damage and what parts need replacement. If there is damage to engine, no point pursuing the repair option.

If you do go for the total loss, do keep in mind you can cancel the registration and claim refund of road tax (after deduction of pro rated road tax for the years it has been used). Insurance surveyors may insist on you giving them signed form 29 & 30 which could be a scam, so that they can claim the road tax refund and also salvage money from a scrap sale. Look up this (The tale of a Total Loss Claim) recent thread for more information.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 23:54   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who have cars damaged in Kerala floods, double check the quote given by service centers.

A friend of mine got a quote of 7 lakh for his Amaze which got submerged upto running board height in water. Only visible damage is of carpets, which has to be replaced. However as per Honda center, they been instructed to categorize cars as per category of water logging (and not as per actual status of car).

So this puts my friends car in second highest level, cars which has waterlogging till below the dashboard and hence the higher quote.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed