Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2009, 14:02   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Well done Nikhil. We need more people like you around.
I hope that guy comes out fine.

OT: Isn't it is actually dangerous to move a accident victim, as there can be internal injuries that can get worse? I know you had no choice here as the other were insisting on moving him.

OT: 40% of autos I have traveled in has loose seat that fall down when I board or get off!
That is exactly why I felt bad. I guess it's a tradeoff between making sure he reaches the hospital early and handling him properly.
Old 19th June 2009, 14:59   #17
BHPian

A big thumbs up to you Nikhil! You did what you could!

I saw the Sumo and shattered glass as I was returning home. By the time I reached there I guess, the crowd had cleared, I could only see some cops near the Sumo and glass shattered all over the place.
Old 19th June 2009, 16:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Good job Nikhil. Agreed it is very risky handling an accident victim especially a semi or unconscious one. You did what you thought was the best, God bless you for that.
Old 19th June 2009, 20:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Hi Nikhil2008,

I think you did everything you could have, and well.

Something to think about :

When there has been an accident, there are usually lots of people around, bystanders, noise, commotion, helpers etc. At the same time the injured person might be in a state of shock.

Sometimes your efforts might be more valuable if they are directed towards the victim's emotional well-being, rather than their physical well-being. (Assuming there are other people around helping)

Talk to the person, tell them what has just happened, reassure them that they are going to be taken care of and they have to hang in there. Put a hand on the shoulder, hold a hand, support the persons head, ask the person what their name is, offer water, tell them why they are being put in a rickshaw / where they are being taken. Listen if they have to say something.

Sometimes the above can provide more mental comfort than carrying them slowly etc. However, if you feel the victim is being hurt by the people helping to move him, dont hesitate to loudly and clearly mention to those involved to do things more carefully as the person is getting hurt. Who knows, that might have a helpful effect.

Either ways. Great job.
Hope the man recovers well & soon.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th June 2009 at 20:19.
Old 19th June 2009, 20:38   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

Talk to the person, tell them what has just happened, reassure them that they are going to be taken care of and they have to hang in there. Put a hand on the shoulder, hold a hand, support the persons head, ask the person what their name is, offer water, tell them why they are being put in a rickshaw / where they are being taken. Listen if they have to say something.
Well, this guy was in no position to talk and by the time I got there, there were people already carrying him.

I did speak to some other guys who were in the bus and they were in shock as well. One of them was mildly injured. Got him some ice from home and he seemed ok(had a cut lip which was bleeding initially).

The other guys in the Sumo were fine. They were just trying to get hold of the bus driver!!
Old 19th June 2009, 20:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

So did the poor guy make it or not? Was it in the papers?
Old 19th June 2009, 21:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Nikhil2008,

I think you did everything you could have, and well.

Something to think about :

When there has been an accident, there are usually lots of people around, bystanders, noise, commotion, helpers etc. At the same time the injured person might be in a state of shock.

Sometimes your efforts might be more valuable if they are directed towards the victim's emotional well-being, rather than their physical well-being. (Assuming there are other people around helping)

Sometimes the above can provide more mental comfort than carrying them slowly etc. However, if you feel the victim is being hurt by the people helping to move him, dont hesitate to loudly and clearly mention to those involved to do things more carefully as the person is getting hurt. Who knows, that might have a helpful effect.

Either ways. Great job.
Hope the man recovers well & soon.

cya
R
Dearest Rehan full marks to you for giving such a valuable information and guidelines to attend to a accident victims, I got emotional after reading your guidelines and thought myself in place of accident victim being helped by people like you , HATS OFF TO YOU BOSS.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
My house is about 100 metres from a major junction. 36th cross Jayanagar and RV Road.

About an hour back, I was just sitting in the living room, reading the newspaper when I heard a series of very loud bangs. I knew it had to be a big accident.

I ran out to the junction and saw that a Sumo had been hit quite hard from the left side and there was a bus which had it's front windshield shattered.

I gathered that the Sumo( a yellow board unsurprisingly) was coming from the Banashankari side. Perpendicular to the main RV road. The bus was coming from the South End Circle side on RV road.

Now, on RV road, there is heavy metro construction work going on. They have erected huge green boards to protect the workers from the traffic. So, effectively one lane of the 2-lane road is boarded up. Due to these boards, visibility of the traffic coming in perpendicular is near ZERO.

The sumo didnt see the bus, the bus didnt see the sumo. The bus T-Boned the Sumo and the Sumo didnt just stop but climbed up an embankment(made of sand dug out for the metro work) and only then stopped. The bus(or sumo, not sure which) also knocked down the small box like thing in which cops usually take position to direct traffic. So, there were quite a few bangs.

The people in the bus are almost fine. I say almost because one guy was thrown forward and hit his lips on the steel bar in front of his seat and his lip had a small cut but he had stopped bleeding by the time I left the scene.

The Sumo passengers were almost safe. Only thing though is the guy sitting in the front passenger seat took the brunt of the hit from the bus and was bleeding. Not too badly, but he was. There were some guys trying desperately to get him into an auto.

I helped them physically carry this guy into the auto. This itself was done very badly. I wanted very badly to help, but somehow I didnt get satisfaction from this so called gesture because I feel we handled that guy very badly. He was semi conscious. I dont know whether he survived the trip to the hospital or not. He was basically handled like a rag doll. No effort was made by anyone to make sure we dont pull too hard at his shoulder(which had a big spot of blood. Could be from the shoulder itself or from some other part of his body), we didnt try to make sure his head and face would be in a better position, nothing.

I tried to keep him straight, but his body itself was so limp, it was useless. Finally, we got him into the auto, but then, the auto seat tilted and this guy fell down! On the floor of the auto. This was so sickening! We couldnt do anything. The auto's seat was loose. While I really wanted to help, I was feeling really useless and helpless. Till now, there were about 2-3 people holding that chap's legs and me alone on the right side of the auto trying to pull him into the auto. I wasnt able to get a good grip on him and what made things worse was I was very very wary of pulling him with all my strength for fear of causing more damage. Finally, with someone else to help me near at the right side of the auto, we managed to get him. I realised he was semi conscious because I told him to put his right hand inside the auto and he obeyed me.

The auto left and by then the cops had arrived. I didnt want to tangle with the cops and I would anyway be useless to them as I had not witnessed the accident anyway. Me and another gentleman(who had come running out of his house without any footwear on) then went about diverting traffic for the next 20 mins. Of course, there were always the idiots who didnt listen to us and went straight to the junction and waited for a few mins before taking a U turn and coming back to where we were standing.

After the traffic had cleared on the main RV road and the cops were allowing traffic on all sides again, I came home.

The bus had been parked to the side. I gave some ice cubes to the guy who was in the bus.

This was quite scary as it was the first time I was involved in accident not involving me and when someone was this badly injured. I feel really bad about not being able to do more for that injured guy. Really hope he gets well soon and his injuries are not serious.
Dearest brother HATS OFF TO YOU for being a good citizen otherwise you will find more of spectators themn a person like you, because it is due to police harrasment to the person who helps the victims they will say who told you to come forward and do netagiri I have heard myself in Mumbai in one of hit and run case a idiot sub inspector telling a passer by by same words , then other bystanders scolded this joker policeman who was half drunk and told him to take the victim to hospital, then one of them said that one of us must accopony this policeman to hospital or he will drop the victim half way. This is the police reputation in accident cases they threten the person who helps that you will have to come to police station and hospital and court number of times ,it is then that person who wants to help also will shy away.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Dude been there and done that, kudo's to you man. Takes a lot to do what you have done. We still have good Samaritans amongst us.
Old 19th June 2009, 21:45   #25
Team-BHP Support

Great stuff there Nikhil, the even better part was the fact that you realised you were being a hindrance while trying to help. Hardly anyone can think so proactively in a situation like the one you described.

manson.
Old 20th June 2009, 09:44   #26
BHPian

great job nikhil. kudos to you. all over bangalore the metro work is causing more problems to traffic and pedestrians. even though it should reduce traffic after completion. it is very difficult to people who cross roads where both sides of the road are covered with metro boards. they are taking pre cautionary measures like properly dressed (reflective jackets) to all the workers, etc. i feel they should have widened the roads first and then started this metro work. one more thing they can do is to increase the time of green signal by 10 seconds so that traffics clears faster at crucial junctions where metro work is going on.
Old 22nd June 2009, 00:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

There was another accident at the same place a while back. It was pretty funny actually. A Scorpio and a truck both came at the intersection. They both braked nad stopped to let the other through. Then both accelerated (very slowly) at the same time thinking the other would let them through. Both braked again. Incredibly, both accelerated again simultaneously and there was a tiny dhak as the Scorp and the truck touched. Since there was hardly any damage, it was an incident that left everyone grinning; even the Scorpio and truck drivers saw the funny side.

On a positive note, the workers who direct traffic are now standing in the middle of the roads and making themselves noticeable to everyone. Now when they ask vehicles to stop, it is heeded unlike before.
Old 22nd June 2009, 00:55   #28
BHPian

Nikhil you did the most important thing by helping an injured person.Not many would do that. Glad we have citizens like you still in B'lore.
Old 22nd June 2009, 04:06   #29
BHPian

Great Job Nikil, I am sure the Sumo Guy would have survived, you were on time to the spot to help the injured
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
There was another accident at the same place a while back. It was pretty funny actually. A Scorpio and a truck both came at the intersection. They both braked nad stopped to let the other through. Then both accelerated (very slowly) at the same time thinking the other would let them through. Both braked again. Incredibly, both accelerated again simultaneously and there was a tiny dhak as the Scorp and the truck touched. Since there was hardly any damage, it was an incident that left everyone grinning; even the Scorpio and truck drivers saw the funny side.
Atleast one of them should have had the presence of mind to give a flash of their headlights to indicate the intention to pass through !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks