Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 22:43   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Big accident near my house.

My house is about 100 metres from a major junction. 36th cross Jayanagar and RV Road.

About an hour back, I was just sitting in the living room, reading the newspaper when I heard a series of very loud bangs. I knew it had to be a big accident.

I ran out to the junction and saw that a Sumo had been hit quite hard from the left side and there was a bus which had it's front windshield shattered.

I gathered that the Sumo( a yellow board unsurprisingly) was coming from the Banashankari side. Perpendicular to the main RV road. The bus was coming from the South End Circle side on RV road.

Now, on RV road, there is heavy metro construction work going on. They have erected huge green boards to protect the workers from the traffic. So, effectively one lane of the 2-lane road is boarded up. Due to these boards, visibility of the traffic coming in perpendicular is near ZERO.

The sumo didnt see the bus, the bus didnt see the sumo. The bus T-Boned the Sumo and the Sumo didnt just stop but climbed up an embankment(made of sand dug out for the metro work) and only then stopped. The bus(or sumo, not sure which) also knocked down the small box like thing in which cops usually take position to direct traffic. So, there were quite a few bangs.

The people in the bus are almost fine. I say almost because one guy was thrown forward and hit his lips on the steel bar in front of his seat and his lip had a small cut but he had stopped bleeding by the time I left the scene.

The Sumo passengers were almost safe. Only thing though is the guy sitting in the front passenger seat took the brunt of the hit from the bus and was bleeding. Not too badly, but he was. There were some guys trying desperately to get him into an auto.

I helped them physically carry this guy into the auto. This itself was done very badly. I wanted very badly to help, but somehow I didnt get satisfaction from this so called gesture because I feel we handled that guy very badly. He was semi conscious. I dont know whether he survived the trip to the hospital or not. He was basically handled like a rag doll. No effort was made by anyone to make sure we dont pull too hard at his shoulder(which had a big spot of blood. Could be from the shoulder itself or from some other part of his body), we didnt try to make sure his head and face would be in a better position, nothing.

I tried to keep him straight, but his body itself was so limp, it was useless. Finally, we got him into the auto, but then, the auto seat tilted and this guy fell down! On the floor of the auto. This was so sickening! We couldnt do anything. The auto's seat was loose. While I really wanted to help, I was feeling really useless and helpless. Till now, there were about 2-3 people holding that chap's legs and me alone on the right side of the auto trying to pull him into the auto. I wasnt able to get a good grip on him and what made things worse was I was very very wary of pulling him with all my strength for fear of causing more damage. Finally, with someone else to help me near at the right side of the auto, we managed to get him. I realised he was semi conscious because I told him to put his right hand inside the auto and he obeyed me.

The auto left and by then the cops had arrived. I didnt want to tangle with the cops and I would anyway be useless to them as I had not witnessed the accident anyway. Me and another gentleman(who had come running out of his house without any footwear on) then went about diverting traffic for the next 20 mins. Of course, there were always the idiots who didnt listen to us and went straight to the junction and waited for a few mins before taking a U turn and coming back to where we were standing.

After the traffic had cleared on the main RV road and the cops were allowing traffic on all sides again, I came home.

The bus had been parked to the side. I gave some ice cubes to the guy who was in the bus.

This was quite scary as it was the first time I was involved in accident not involving me and when someone was this badly injured. I feel really bad about not being able to do more for that injured guy. Really hope he gets well soon and his injuries are not serious.
Old 18th June 2009, 22:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey you did your part Nikhil. Most wouldn't have even cared. One more Good Samaritan on T-BHP.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 18th June 2009 at 22:54.
Old 18th June 2009, 22:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

You did what you could in your power. God bless you for that.

I agree that moving an injured person could be dangerous but sometimes getting that person to a hospital as early as possible could save his life.

India has little or no infrastructure where paramedics can reach the accident scene in a matter of mins and if required, fly the victim to a hospital for critical care. That day is very far away.
Old 18th June 2009, 23:27   #4
BHPian

God bless you Nikhil. A lot of people would have just stood around looking at what is happening and not got involved. You did what you could at that moment. Maybe that'll save that guys life.
Old 18th June 2009, 23:27   #5
BHPian

That was very nice and brave of you nikhil.

Usually if something like this happens,people only gather around and will not help the victims.But you did it and i salute you for that.

Good care has to be taken when moving the injured person from the accident sceen to the hospital.But to save his life and not wasting any time, people will speed up the procedure which will make the injuries more deep.

Anyway hope the person is ok and he survives.
Old 19th June 2009, 00:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess there is no point in calling for an ambulance and waiting around for it ??

In an ideal world, it would be nice if all auto/taxi drivers were trained in basic accident response and patient transportation.
Old 19th June 2009, 00:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

You were brilliant

Congratulations Nikhil, you were brilliant. You were quick to act and kept your wits about you. It is not everyone who will go out of their way to help strangers in need like you did.

Cheers,
Old 19th June 2009, 00:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I guess there is no point in calling for an ambulance and waiting around for it ??

In an ideal world, it would be nice if all auto/taxi drivers were trained in basic accident response and patient transportation.

And personally, I wanted to call the 108 ambulance. But the other guys(the people who were travelling with the injured guy) were bent on getting him out of there. You cant really argue with them.

It would be brilliant if the auto/taxi drivers were trained. Unfortunately, this is not an ideal world :(
Old 19th June 2009, 01:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess Taxis and autos are the real ambulances(at least as far as patient transport goes) as they are readily available at most spots and one doesn't have to wait around for the ambulance to arrive.

Great job Nikhil! I really appreciate the selfless help you offered to the victims.

God bless you
Old 19th June 2009, 08:34   #10
BHPian

God bless You Nikhil.
I hope the Police and Metro guys take appropriate steps, atleast now.
Old 19th June 2009, 08:41   #11
BHPian

There is no reason for you to feel bad and I hope that what you did will save the person's life. Many will look and say few words and walk off. Bravo Nikhil. And as everyone said, there is no reason to feel bad.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:38   #12
BHPian

Bravo nikhil. I was at this spot this morning and saw lot of shattered glass pieces on the road, and I knew that something major had occured here. The high barricades make things really difficult. It is really difficult to see the vehicles comming from the other side. Most times there are couple of guys who man this junction, but when they are not there it is a major risk. i hope this is the last accident that we hear of due to this metro stuff.
Old 19th June 2009, 11:51   #13
BHPian

Well done Nikhil. We need more people like you around.
I hope that guy comes out fine.

OT: Isn't it is actually dangerous to move a accident victim, as there can be internal injuries that can get worse? I know you had no choice here as the other were insisting on moving him.

OT: 40% of autos I have traveled in has loose seat that fall down when I board or get off!
Old 19th June 2009, 12:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil, good that you were able to help the people in whichever way you could. These are untoward incidents which ruin the life of people, hopefully you helped minimise the damages to the person.
Old 19th June 2009, 12:52   #15
BHPian

Well done Nikhil . Hope the person gets adequate medical attention and is back on his feet again

Most Viewed