Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2005, 14:48   #1
BHPian

I Pledge.. I will always wear seat belts

I have been reading a lot on this forum about people urging to wear seat belts. I went through some of the threads which had mentioned a lot about accidents happening all around and sometimes loosing loved ones just because they were not wearing SEAT BELTS or HELMETS.

PLEASE PLEASE make use of the these things, Dont be careless about your life. At least think of people(your Parents,your Family, your Friends) who needs you and wear it because of them.

I also urge people who rides on 2 wheelers to make sure that your wife, friend have helmet on, specially your young ones .. Try to Buy Helmets for your kids, I Know we all Love & take care of our families but sometimes are overconfident that things will be always fine.

ACCIDENTS are ACCIDENTS and these does happens accidently with your or anybodies else fault.. so Friends please take care and plegde that we will always drive carefully and make use of Safety gadgets.
Regards,
greatDrive
Old 14th June 2005, 14:58   #2
BHPian

nice pledge there

i also make sure i wear seatbelts when am seated in a car.

Some ppl think that u r scared if u put on ur seat belt.That is some defntn for myth am sure.

I wear helmet 2 while i ride my bike but i dont think there should not be a law which enforces kids/wives/ pilions to wear helmets.
The Govt is not serious and only plays a swith on and switch off thing to satisfy some ppl.

Only reason for me not totally for the rule is It is not easy to carry around helmets if u wanna move around short distances ( say 1-3 kms nearby ur place) with ur children..

Educate them, if they are not serious enuff let them face it.

But am fine with the rule 2..as i wear them.

Hurry Home
Old 14th June 2005, 15:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

firstly we dont have to wear seatbelts or helmets just because there is a rule and if we dont we can be fined.we should wear it for its primary concern that is safety.accidents do not accur when you expect them to infact they do when you least expect it to.thats where seatbelts and helmets play their role and protect you.

as greatdrive has mentioned lately there have been so many accidents in which people could have been saved if they were wearing their seatbelt or helmet.its because of laziness and pride that people get injured.when i drive i make it a point that the passenger and me wear our seatbelts before starting the car.i never ride my bike without my helmet and now im used to it and infact i feel a lot safer with it on because you never know when some rash driver may just come and ram into you.

so people be safe wear your seatbelts and helmets.do it for yourself and if not then atleast for the people who love you.

rev
Old 14th June 2005, 15:21   #4
BHPian

On the subject of using a helmet:

Admitted, helmets go a long way in protecting your head from injuries. However, it severely mars one's side-vision. As anybody who drives a bike knows, other vehicles come at you from all directions (especially true of the non-law abiding citizenry of Pune). Not just from the front and back. So you need to see them and be aware of their presence.

According to me this is a serious disadvantage of using a helmet. But anyway, I also consider riding a bike to be a very dangerous affair and have almost completely stopped riding one. I now use it only to go distances less than 2-3 kms.

I completely endorse using a seat-belt in the car. I don't start the car until everybody is buckled up. On highways I always ask passengers in the rear seat also to buckle up.
Old 14th June 2005, 15:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

I am so used to wearing seatbelts that i feel uncomfortable without being strapped. Infact once i had to park my car from outside my apartment to inside, and i belted up my car for the 50m stint. If you get used to belting up, its impossible to drive without them
Old 14th June 2005, 15:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I now use it only to go distances less than 2-3 kms
What are the things that can happen in 5+ kms distances that can't happen in 2-3 kms??!

Quote:
I completely endorse using a seat-belt in the car. I don't start the car until everybody is buckled up. On highways I always ask passengers in the rear seat also to buckle up.
I think the government should make rear seatbelts compulsory too. New cars must be made with rear seatbelts. Older cars must install rear seatbelts.
Old 14th June 2005, 15:37   #7
BHPian

@Gordon - The 2-3 km radius is in close vicinity of home, where using the car is not warranted. In this area, I know that I will not be encountering fast and unruly traffic. Call it a "calculated risk" if you want!
Old 14th June 2005, 15:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I think the government should make rear seatbelts compulsory too. New cars must be made with rear seatbelts. Older cars must install rear seatbelts.
I think the law is there. It is just the enforcement that is the problem.

I always buckle up, even for small distances. I always insist that the front passenger also buckle up. On the highways, I insist all the rear seat passengers also to wear belts.

I wear helmet whenever I use my bike. I was never in favour of doing this, but now I do.
Old 14th June 2005, 15:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camry93
@Gordon - The 2-3 km radius is in close vicinity of home, where using the car is not warranted. In this area, I know that I will not be encountering fast and unruly traffic. Call it a "calculated risk" if you want!
But Why do you want to excercise your brain to calculate the risk , Why not wear a helmet.
Old 14th June 2005, 15:53   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
I believe this rule came into force for all cars from April 2004. All new cars now have rear seatbelts.
Old 14th June 2005, 16:37   #11
Tom
BHPian

will wearing a helmet while driving a car help in anyway? any rule against doing so?
Old 14th June 2005, 16:53   #12
Team-BHP Support

Don't know about that, but let me tell you a true story. It happened with a family friend. Their son, aged about 18 went off with some friends on a drive after there competions got over after 12th class. His friend had a new VTEC and started showing off the power. No this guy got really scared. Since he had his bike helmet with him he wore the helmet. He was in the rear seat without a seatbelt. There were three in the rear at that time. The driver of the car lost control at around 150kmph and hit the median. The car rolled multiple times and then hit a pole where it stopped. The front seat guys were strapped and survived. In the rear seat he got mild concussion and a arm fracture, but one of the guys died of a head injury and the other was in a coma. This guys helmet cracked up due to the rolling and impact. If no helmet he would have been dead. So helmets can save lives in cars too.
Old 14th June 2005, 17:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni

Only reason for me not totally for the rule is It is not easy to carry around helmets if u wanna move around short distances ( say 1-3 kms nearby ur place) with ur children..

Hurry Home
Muni, no matter what, your loved ones lives are as important as yours. An extra holder to carry a spare helmet on your bike won't do you any harm. It is very easy to crack one's skull and lose his life even if your bike slips off on a slippery surface. Its even worse if the person gets paralysed for life. It is equivalent to the person dying every-day. Imagine the state of the family as well.

Short distances or long, kids/spouse or not, belting up and wearing helmets is crucial.

Revv
Old 14th June 2005, 17:08   #14
BHPian

today i am also taking this pledge. and my confession. i dont wear seatbelts for small distances but now no more of it. i have read the consequences of not wearing seatbelt and it is indeed scary.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks