Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 11:02   #151
Senior - BHPian

I HATE that patch with the reflectors. Especially when on the RFTs.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:03   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
I HATE that patch with the reflectors. Especially when on the RFTs.
the sealink is an absolute joke to drive on. what were they thinking when they installed rumblers everywhere? and also on worli seaface they now have 3 speedbreakers, FOR WHAT??? completely brainless are our authorities.
Old 1st April 2012, 08:58   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Sealink toll rises for the first time since inauguration.
Attached Thumbnails
Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-image3452723946.jpg  

Old 2nd April 2012, 10:09   #154
BHPian

Re: Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles

I just paid Rs 85 for a return pass. Any idea what the day pass now costs? I forgot to ask the guy there. I guess this was the reason for the traffic mess at the sea-link this morning.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:11   #155
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Huge jam at the toll booth today. I was told Rs 82.50 for return ticket. I did not check how much money he returned back.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:49   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Huge jam at the toll booth today. I was told Rs 82.50 for return ticket. I did not check how much money he returned back.
I was in Bombay over the weekend and the took the sealink. The return toll is now Rs. 82.50/-. But, the booth operators return Rs. 18/- if you present a Rs. 100/- bill. Thankfully they don't ask for 50 paise change.

Whoever thought of charging an odd toll figure must have been a genius.
Old 29th July 2012, 16:52   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

I think its due to them being allowed a 10% increase in fare every set interval.
They generally give back Rs. 17.
Also changed and what caused some traffic earlier, was their drive to note down the car numbers. Started doing it recently.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:45   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Also changed and what caused some traffic earlier, was their drive to note down the car numbers. Started doing it recently.
I simply cannot understand what is the point of noting down the car numbers. It makes no sense at all. You still pay for the trip(s) you make on the sealink. Its not like anyone can cheat. Instead, it takes more time and as a result long lines start forming at the toll.
If I am in a taxi, will they note down the taxi number too?
Old 7th August 2012, 19:14   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by "carfreak77
If I am in a taxi, will they note down the taxi number too?

Yes. They will. They've stopped allowing passengers in taxis to buy return tickets. The common man is a donkey, as the powers that be deem. Btw, has anyone noticed that ever since the government announced that they would display the days earnings, they've stopped giving out computerized tickets. Wonderful wonderful state this. (Face palm)

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th August 2012 at 16:04. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 9th August 2012, 15:12   #160
BHPian

Electronic Toll Collection @ Bandra Worli Sea Link : Going RFID

To some of us who use the sea link on a daily basis, the most annoying part of the drive is the wait in line for the toll payment on the start / end. I have been using the sea-link every day since it has opened for my daily north south commute. While it cheaper/shorter in km's to take the normal route, the convenience is just too much for me to give up.

While the prepaid system has been there from day 1, I never took it for only 1 reason, there is no dedicated lane for pass holders, it simply baffles me why the chaps at the management of BWSL did not start this from day 1 .

Any way fast forward to 1 August 2012, they finally opened a dedicated lane for the RFID enabled cars and this was the single biggest motivating factor for me to take the plunge. The logic is very simple, the put a RFID sticker on the windshield on the inside after encoding at the office and presto you are done. Every time you pass underneath the sensor, the gate will open automatically.

While the idea is amazing it does have its share of initial niggles
1. Drivers simply do not understand the importance of lane driving, in my 6 odd days of using it, on 5 days i have seen 5 drivers driving into the lane and then using the escape lane to change the lane. (of course it is frustrating but the look on the drivers face when you pass through is enough to let you go.)
2. Apparently the system needs to be rebooted daily, so on two days you enter the lane at traffic at 8 am, and nothing happens so you are forced to enter the escape lane looking like a moron and vent your ire on the poor toll collectors on the booth who have no idea why it is happening. (Apparently the chap who reboots the system comes in by 9 so the delay, they have now rectified it, it worked today)

Costs:
You need to pay INR 100, for the sticker one time which is then loaded with with necessary amount you want . Currently on a pilot basis they have only started the Monthly unlimited pass for INR 2750/- but they will introduce the same plans that they have for the smart card soon.

So here is the vital part should you take it ? Short Answer Yes, Long answer look below :

1. No more waiting in line
2. No need to carry money (ok smart card solves that) more than once i have entered the sea link only to realize I am short on cash, it is stick it, refill it and forget it.
3. It just looks too cool.
4. Yes it is expensive for people who do only a return trip 5 days a week, but believe me the convenience is just better.

One word of advice, if you have front windshield film installed, the installation of RFID sticker is not recommended, apparently the sensor cannot read the chip effectively through the film. The guys have had issues with a 4 -5 cars which have front windshield films installed.

Hope this helps and any questions are most welcome

Cheers
Sid
siddharthdeb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 15:43   #161
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Number of Vehicles using Bandra Worli Sea Link are decreasing every year.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20039141.cms

The vechcle count has dropped by over 11% in the past year, from 45,952 vehicles in 2011-12 to 40,808 in 2012-13. Over four years from 2009 to 2013, the daily vehicle count has dropped by over 16%.

High toll amount may be the reason behind this decreasing traffic on Bandra Worli Sea Link.

As per the initial estimations approx 1 to 1.2 lacs vehicle were expected to use the Sea Link everyday. Which meant that the cost of construction (Rs. 1634 crores) would be recovered in almost 25 years.

But now with actual daily vehicle count of 45,000 to 50,000, it will take more than 40 years to recover the cost of contruction of this Sea link.

Thanks,
Old 18th June 2013, 11:52   #162
Senior - BHPian

They have recently improved the North bound lanes by allowing the turn off much earlier. Really helps as now there is almost no second twisty turn.

Mumbai is expanding increasingly towards the suburbs, so traffic is bound to reduce as daily north/south movement is redundant.

They should allow pre-paid RFID similar to mobile with longer periods so that even sporadic users can 'fill' up the card and amount gets deducted. The current only monthly system results in very few users using the RFID. If you go in for trip based RFID, then it actually is very expensive as compared to the cash rates. Absurd.
Old 20th August 2013, 15:46   #163
BHPian

Just came back from Mumbai and the current toll rates are 82.50 for a return journey on the SeaLink.

Also, got a chance to take a picture of my Duster at Sea Link, as I was in another Taxi and my friend was driving it.
Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-dustersealink.jpg
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:33   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

A photographer shares his obsession with the Bandra-Worli Sea Link

Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-1395991027482_10.jpg

Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-13959909091331_5.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2014 at 15:53. Reason: Adding some pics as well
Old 1st July 2014, 15:51   #165
Team-BHP Support

This image makes it incredibly clear how 'bolt-on' the exit onto Worli Seaface actually is!
Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-0b1a9d10631711e3b148122f255355e2_8.jpg
Source

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st July 2014 at 15:53.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed