Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 17:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure they were drunk ? Could have been dazed by the shock too. If they were drunk, then the driver could also have been drunk.

108 is really effective. I called that number once & they responded beautifully. Of course the cops called too, but no harassment.
Old 7th July 2009, 19:26   #17
Senior - BHPian

Broken thigh.. that really hurts a lot..

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
However, am glad that they did not harm any other due to their irresponsible behavior.
This is what puts me to think twice before I venture out in our risky highways.
Old 7th July 2009, 22:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just now only I had taken a close look at your title.. 100% I agree or can we rephrase it " do not let your co-passenger consume alcohol". In my yearly long trips, most of the time my co-passengers would be on high. In case of any serious accidents, this would be of disadvantage to some extent. Definitely I will try to restrict them atleast on onward and return longer journeys
Old 7th July 2009, 23:01   #19
BHPian

It is good to hear that there is an ambulance service that responds in 20 min at a remote place. And finally police and rescue services are doing what they should: save lives instead of persecuting good samaritans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
....when I sit upfront, almost punch new holes through the floorboards !
I know what you mean!
Old 8th July 2009, 06:00   #20
BHPian

With the location and the occupant in the car it wouldn't be surprising if everyone in the car were sloshed
Old 8th July 2009, 07:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post

108 is really effective. I called that number once & they responded beautifully. Of course the cops called too, but no harassment.
Thats good to hear.... Is 108 the private service started by the Raju's in Andhra?

Do they have operations in other states as well?

Last edited by simplythebest : 8th July 2009 at 07:43.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
Thats good to hear.... Is 108 the private service started by the Raju's in Andhra?

Do they have operations in other states as well?
EMRI is the initiative which you are referring they have set up operations in quite a few states. These guys were lucky that Balan's cell phone was working because between Pugmarks and Thorapalli only BSNL works in certain places none of the private service providers work in most of the stretch.

Balan if I may ask which part of Mudumalai did this accident happen, is it about a km or so from Theppakadu where the road curves to the right but you have a Jeep track going into the forest which is sort of confusing especially in the night.

These guys must have been travelling at quite a speed, especially with rains starting you would have quite a few elephants on the road sides feeding on the fresh undergrowth. Lucky for the elephants that the co-driver did not decide to do this trick while passing a herd.

It is an altogether different issue that we are not courteous enough to the animals to cut down speed once we enter the forests, which was one of the reasons I was extremely unhappy when the roads between Thorappalli and Kakkanalla check post was done up initially and then between Kakkanalla check post and Bandipur entrance in the Karnataka side.
Old 9th July 2009, 19:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1)

3) I think that cars must have sensors which when detect passengers being drunk, etc., then the car wont start. Even if any one person is drunk the car cannot start. At least this is applicable for private passenger cars. Then they will be forced to use cabs.
This is system is possible and available. Saw once on Discovery that in certain US states, people have to get the device fitted to the car which is like the breath analyser.. One is required to breathe into it and if you are below the prescribed limit, the car will start.
Old 10th July 2009, 23:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I have seen quite a number of accidents on this road too especially since the roads are laid new and are fun to drive. The 108 service is definitely a godsend and considering the location, its nice to know they reached in 20 minutes.
Curious, where do they park in Gudalur?
The very next day a local tempo traveller hit a tree and the driver lost his leg just a few minutes away from the spott.
The fire service ambulance stays put at the fire station near the police station
The 108 stays in gudalur goverment hospital in Mel Gudalur area

Best regards
Balan
Old 10th July 2009, 23:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post

Balan if I may ask which part of Mudumalai did this accident happen, is it about a km or so from Theppakadu where the road curves to the right but you have a Jeep track going into the forest which is sort of confusing especially in the night.

These guys must have been travelling at quite a speed, especially with rains starting you would have quite a few elephants on the road sides feeding on the fresh undergrowth. Lucky for the elephants that the co-driver did not decide to do this trick while passing a herd.

It is an altogether different issue that we are not courteous enough to the animals to cut down speed once we enter the forests, which was one of the reasons I was extremely unhappy when the roads between Thorappalli and Kakkanalla check post was done up initially and then between Kakkanalla check post and Bandipur entrance in the Karnataka side.
This was outside the forest boundary near the temple in Thorapally. Hence these giuys didnt have much problem. Or else the forest dept would have roasted them

As a part of kenneth Anderson Nature Society member, I drive slowly in the forest and also gives a chance to view wildlife in natural habitat.

Once after a late night volunteer forest traffic awareness program for KANS I was driving to my house when my M800 wheels locked due to panicked braking on a over speeding lorry and I did a 720 degree horizontal skid on the road at 40 kmph as the road was extremely slippery. Luckily no other vehicle or animal was on the road that time.
Best regards
bala

Most Viewed