Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 12:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
renting a safari? hmm.now thats what i've been looking for. are ther options like that available out there? I've always wanted to drive up there but its stupidity to take my Alto from b'lore all the way to Leh. If this renting option is available , then I may plan my trip rather soon. pleae revert on this. PM me if necessary.
Why Do you thin kits stupidity taking your alto from Bang to Leh? I think its a 2 days drive from Bang to Delhi. 14 Hrs from Delhi to Manali and then the normal route to Leh.

To tell you I've Done Delhi-Karnataka ( Belgaum) -Delhi in my Spark. Delhi-Manali-Rohtang -Kullu-Manikaran-Delhi in 60 hours with 5 people on board in my alto.

I'm also planning to do Delhi-Leh-Delhi in last week of Aug or 1st week of sept in my Alto with my wife.
Old 5th August 2009, 20:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Why Do you thin kits stupidity taking your alto from Bang to Leh? I think its a 2 days drive from Bang to Delhi. 14 Hrs from Delhi to Manali and then the normal route to Leh.

To tell you I've Done Delhi-Karnataka ( Belgaum) -Delhi in my Spark. Delhi-Manali-Rohtang -Kullu-Manikaran-Delhi in 60 hours with 5 people on board in my alto.

I'm also planning to do Delhi-Leh-Delhi in last week of Aug or 1st week of sept in my Alto with my wife.
Hey I've read your post on your drive from Delhi-Belgaum. It was nice. But my worry is not the drive from here till delhi. its ahead. Can the alto suspension handle that? its a basic car for city run abouts. well, i can be contradicted coz somebody is trying to do the ladakh drive in an autorickshaw!! I'm only skeptical. more realistic could be my planned drive from b'lore- jammu. Jammu is my in-laws place and I am full time bangalorean. I fly to jammu all the time and its boring. you know what I'm saying.
Old 5th August 2009, 20:59   #33
BHPian

14000rpm, I think its a good idea that you take your alto for this trip. If you check lordofgondor's lehd thread, its been suggested to take an alto because of the service availability and reliability.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...come-true.html
Old 5th August 2009, 21:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
14000rpm, I think its a good idea that you take your alto for this trip. If you check lordofgondor's lehd thread, its been suggested to take an alto because of the service availability and reliability.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...come-true.html
hmm.now its giving me ideas. but it'll definitely be a 2 people only drive I'm sure.
now lemme check with wifey. do you guys really think the suspension can take the terrain? obviously I may need different tyres.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hmm.now its giving me ideas. but it'll definitely be a 2 people only drive I'm sure.
now lemme check with wifey. do you guys really think the suspension can take the terrain? obviously I may need different tyres.
With the info from other members who visited the terrain, I think an Alto will be more comfortable in making it there.

Remember, its not just the terrain or the GC, but also the time (read luck!) of travel that matters.

Seems september is much better time to travel than the May-Jun wrt to terrain.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey I've read your post on your drive from Delhi-Belgaum. It was nice. But my worry is not the drive from here till delhi. its ahead. Can the alto suspension handle that? its a basic car for city run abouts. well, i can be contradicted coz somebody is trying to do the ladakh drive in an autorickshaw!! I'm only skeptical. more realistic could be my planned drive from b'lore- jammu. Jammu is my in-laws place and I am full time bangalorean. I fly to jammu all the time and its boring. you know what I'm saying.
I Understand what you mean. There are couple of things to be kept in mind here.

Which model alto do you have?
Whats the current meter reading?
How many passengers would be travelling- Just 2 or more?
How many days do you have on hands for this trip?

Also to let you know that all the cabs/taxis in Manali and ahead are altos which proves that its the best vehicle made for this terrain.

I've myself been consulting people about which car to take ,alto or spark and the answer has always been alto. So decide and enjoy.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:53   #37
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
With the info from other members who visited the terrain, I think an Alto will be more comfortable in making it there.

Remember, its not just the terrain or the GC, but also the time (read luck!) of travel that matters.

Seems september is much better time to travel than the May-Jun wrt to terrain.
When Civic can do manali to rothang pass then any vehicle can do Leh with driver skill and ability.
Old 5th August 2009, 21:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also to let you know that all the cabs/taxis in Manali and ahead are altos which proves that its the best vehicle made for this terrain.

I've myself been consulting people about which car to take ,alto or spark and the answer has always been alto. So decide and enjoy.
2008 Aug.
got 16k on the odo.
days, not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
When Civic can do manali to rothang pass then any vehicle can do Leh with driver skill and ability.
hmm. but your trip was awesome mate.
Old 7th August 2009, 03:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

[quote=14000rpm;1418062]2008 Aug.
got 16k on the odo.
days, not sure.

Number of people ?

Well upto 3 people should not be a problem seeing your responses. So go for it dude.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:04   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Number of people ?
2 pax, luggage and a lot of red bull for sure.
Old 9th August 2009, 10:52   #41
Senior - BHPian

You don't even need different tyres as your alto has done only 18k so the tyres are pretty good to take the beating.
Old 16th August 2009, 22:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2 pax, luggage and a lot of red bull for sure.
Quote:
You don't even need different tyres as your alto has done only 18k so the tyres are pretty good to take the beating.
Quote:

I've got answers!! I may not drive up all the while from bangalore to leh. I'll fly to jammu and from there, will take my father in laws alto and drive to Leh. Next month I'll be driving to srinagar from jammu. and my next visit,I'll do the leh drive.
Old 24th August 2009, 15:41   #43
BHPian

wow. great pictures ashutoshb!! what a place to drive! good report as well!
Old 31st August 2009, 23:47   #44
BHPian

Wow! great ashutosh - Leh'd the Logan. Now I can also start dreaming about turning my dream into reality.
And as you said, my love for Logan is also increasing everytime I go out on a long drive with her. The ride comfort is simply fantastic.
And great pictures to accompany.
BTW, do I need to tell you that one of your snaps is sitting on my desktop now .

And shouldn't this thread be in the travelogues section instead of street experiences section? That's how I missed it initially. Today luckily one of your garage pictures were featured on the home page and then I discovered this thread.

Last edited by 9tMax : 31st August 2009 at 23:54.
Old 4th October 2009, 04:15   #45
Senior - BHPian

The Manali-Leh road is always in a state of flux. There are washouts, landslides, freak blizzards, cloud bursts, bridges taken away...you never know what you are going to run into. In a few places there is hardly a road at all. If you take a small car like an Alto or some such you will probably make it. There is no disputing that. But is it wise to do so?

What many people do not seem to comprehend is that this is a very remote area. If you break down, if your car can not negotiate an obstacle, you could be stuck up there for a week or more. There is no fuel and no mechanical shop of any kind for about 300k. If you were to break down in the middle somewhere it could go like this. You could wait for hours for someone who able to help you to even stop for you. You would have to ride half a day or a full day back to civilization. You would have to find a mechanic to go back with you and fix your car the next day. He might not have the right tools and/or the spare parts for it and he might have to go back again. He might then have to repeat this procedure or, worse, you might have to wait several days for parts to arrive from the factory. Now, is this likely to happen? No. Does it in fact happen? Most definately it does. And, this mechanic is going to charge you for taking the trek to your car. And, you can bet he will charge you for fixing it. He does not have a whole lot of competition up there and he knows you have few options.

It is not about "Can you make it?". It is about good judgement and assessing the consequences. By the way, your mobile is useless up there. No towers, no coverage.

If you take the Manali-Leh road, I suggest you go in a convoy of vehicles and/or go in a vehicle with good ground clearance. Take warm clothing. Even in July it gets cold when you are up high.

I live to the West of there in a much more civilized area but right at the foot of the front range. Even here things can get dicey sometimes. This is not a cruise through the Ghats. This is an encounter with another world of beautiful desolation. It is best to be prepared for it.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 4th October 2009 at 04:29.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed