Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 09:47   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That was close! I'm glad that no one was hurt, and your family was able to walk away from this accident Godfather. Rains can create tricky driving conditions, SUV drivers need to be all the more cautious.

Quote:
I did not want that. Spoke to the insurance guys and convinced them that i need the vehicle repaired.. They said that it would be possible only if the repair charge was less than 75% of insured value.. I agreed to pay the cost of repair which would get the total repair value down to 70%.
they gladly agreed and now the Dicor is under repair..
Unique transaction. Only a car guy....
Old 14th July 2009, 10:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

My God!! That was a providential escape for your brother & his family. The truck has proved its mettle. I would have gone for a total loss (looking at the damage) but its your vehicle & your sentiments.

Good luck with the extensive restoration.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:14   #33
BHPian

Hey Godfather,

After reading all about your mighty truck sad to see it in a sad state, but still it has proved its worthiness saving everyone. Glad that your brother and his family are safe and Hats off to the driver for his presence of mind and saving everyone. Hoping to see the truck back in its full glory!.
Old 14th July 2009, 10:24   #34
BHPian

Good to know all passengers were safe, looks like the bull bar too most of the impact, make me rethink about bull bars, maybe they are not bad after all, and can add to safety.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Yeah.. Call me a Fool.. Complete chassis replace. half the engine parts need to be replaced. New turbo to be put in.. Loads of stuff..

But this car saved everyone.. i cant just let it rot somewhere..

Goddy.

Glad to know that the car saved your family & thank God for that. A friend of mine felt the same way too in a similar situation & he had his OHC fully done up. Even after 2 years since, he is facing engine heating problems, alignment problems etc. A sentimental decision may not be the right one at this stage. Like parwath also put it, the truck has done it's duty once & may not have enough to do it again. Just my thoughts.
Old 14th July 2009, 11:51   #36
BHPian

Repairing the truck doesn`t sounds like a good idea as others have pointed it out. 90 % of the time in such cases, no matter how much you repair it it won`t get back to its full glory. Plus the time, money you spend on it. Sometimes it becomes fustrating when every now and then small issues crop up. Better go for a new one. This is what i feel man.
Old 14th July 2009, 12:31   #37
BANNED

Get your faithful steed repaired...

Hi,
Everything in life is not figures and numbers. I am still proud of getting my dad's 1979 Bajaj Chetak repaired because I have innumerable memories attached to it since my childhood. Life is all about feelings which is why we buy the Safari.
I understand the monetary and technical facts outlined by the others here with suggest you to let go of the vehicle.
But if I am correct, it is no longer just a "vehicle" for you. It is family. Family which saved you and your family from death.
You dont leave your family because they are sick or expensive to medicate or because they may not get well after they come back from the doctor.
Repay faithfullness with the same.
Also, I m sure the it will come back to the best of its shape if restored with all the love you have for it.
Go Ahead and get it back....
You will not repent it....
Old 14th July 2009, 12:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

That was very close,and all were saved without wearing seat belts.pls do wear them.
When is the vehicle coming back.pls post some pics.
Old 14th July 2009, 13:19   #39
BHPian

Godfather, firstly I am really glad that your family is safe inspite of the major accident. Secondly I can truly understand your decision to keep the car inspite of the major damages and the dicor probably will not be the same as it was earlier despite a major repair. For some people cars are a part of the family and not just means of transportation and especially so the attachment is much stronger since in your case your dicor has saved the lives of your family member. Also like you suggested, this car should be good to be used for short runs and sparing usage. My suggestion, keep the car if you can afford it, i am sure you and your family have a lot of fond memories with this particular vehicle and your sentiments are well placed IMO.
Old 14th July 2009, 13:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Damn that was Close. Nice to know that there was no injury to anyone.

Like others said you have good driver & also from the pics the damage doesnt appear as much severe but then it seems the impact got distributed across the body.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:14   #41
BHPian

Thank god you guys are all ok, you really had a guardian angel watching over you sometime

Quote:
i turned to look at the mangled wreck sitting on the road and saw my Dicor who had just saved everyone and took the massive impact on itself
It kills you to just see the car turned to a wreck from all the glory..

Just could not see it go.. It is too precious..

Also.. FYI.. the Crashguard which I had put up in front and where there is a entire thread dedicated to it saying that it will bend the chassis and it is not safe.. Saved everyone.

The crashguard took the masive impact and is destroyed beyond belief.. but thats one reason the passengers were safe.

Believe it or not.. it works.
Goddy, +1 to all that you've said above. I had the exact same emotions and opinion on the crashguard post my accident in my 17 year old M800 almost a year ago and now my baby's back on the road, good as new

Cheers,
Perez.

Last edited by Perez : 14th July 2009 at 14:17.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Its a bad one but good to know that everyne is safe and sound. All's well that ends well.

Quote:
i turned to look at the mangled wreck sitting on the road and saw my Dicor who had just saved everyone and took the massive impact on itself
It kills you to just see the car turned to a wreck from all the glory..

Just could not see it go.. It is too precious..

Also.. FYI.. the Crashguard which I had put up in front and where there is a entire thread dedicated to it saying that it will bend the chassis and it is not safe.. Saved everyone.

The crashguard took the masive impact and is destroyed beyond belief.. but thats one reason the passengers were safe.

Believe it or not.. it works.
It doesnt work.

I know this is not a time to go into the technics of crumple zones but I look at this as an opportunity to bring out the facts on how the crashguard was working against the crumple zones and infact could have caused more damage to the occupants had the safari been running at greater speed during this crash.

Your vehicle was moving with a Kinetic energy (E) of 160000, kinetic energy is defined as the energy associated with a moving object and is calculated at E = (1/2) mass × speed2(sq) and the same needs to get absorbed during a crash by both objects of collision. Driving a very heavy vehicle does not lessen the effect of the impact because although there is more metal to absorb the impact energy, there is also more energy to be absorbed.

Dicor Totalled!!! but coming back-crumple-zones.jpg

Now If we look at the curved lines which I have drawn, this is how the front box should have crumpled Vs the whole impact going to the centre of the front body and then passing through like a seawave to the end of the passenger compartment.

Role of crash/ Nudge guard in this crash:
  • it embraced the bonnet and prevented it from folding/ absorbing.
  • prevented the bumper, the guard bar below to absorb the impact
  • prevented the front box to absorb the impact.
  • Although I must admit it has prevented considerable damage to the engine as such but engines are not part of the crumple zones anyways, due to their heavy built
Results:
  • The whole body/ chasis has taken the brunt of it (impact=force has to go somewhere)
  • the whole passenger compartment is shaken and seats uprooted etc, just like a tsunami wave would engulf everything in its path.
  • There are possible structural damages to the passenger compartment from what you describe.
  • More physical and unvisible injury is/was a possibility(lower back impact, neck, arm joints etc)
You decide, what would you have choosen:
  • More damage to the vehicle by providing unrestricted crumple zones
  • Risk of Greater Physical injury to the passengers of the vehicle
My recommendations(although i am no expert) : Crumple zones try to absorb and impact of the crash and prevent the impact from reaching the passenger compartment, therefore please dont restrict them.

This safari is a goner and god forbid, will be unable to protect its occupants going forward, let it go, buy the 2.2l.

Last edited by dadu : 14th July 2009 at 17:50.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2009, 17:50   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Btw, I am sure that you are aware of this and also I hope that I correct that when you change the chassis, you need to get the car registered again.
Did not know this.. but after the accident the RTO did come and assess the damage. If it needs to be re-registered then i guess we will have to get it done. Thanks for letting me know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
He he , PBC block 3 parking lot.
Hmm.. yeah the car was already totalled by the time i joined work.. but the LC Prado was there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Is that lorry on blind spot (due to your vehicle) for the Safari driver? Are you running on OEM tyres or it was upgraded? How old were your tyres?
Not sure if the Lorry was on the blind spot. I was not in the Dicor when this happened.
I had upgraded to Hankook Dynamics 265 / 65 - 16" the very next day of delivery. I dont like OE tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
looks like the bull bar too most of the impact, make me rethink about bull bars, maybe they are not bad after all, and can add to safety.
Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
When is the vehicle coming back.pls post some pics.
I am currently back in US. I will be back sometime mid august to take delivery. Will post pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unique transaction. Only a car guy....

Goddy
Old 14th July 2009, 17:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

This was what it used to be. Sigh! Watchmen and colleagues drooling over it at lunch time.
Attached Thumbnails
Dicor Totalled!!! but coming back-dicor.jpg  

Old 14th July 2009, 17:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Your vehicle was moving with a Kinetic energy (E) of 160000, kinetic energy is defined as the energy associated with a moving object and is calculated at E = (1/2) mass × speed2(sq)
Eh!!! <- that is you Dadu when come there lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

buy the 2.2l.
I am getting one more.. But this one stays

Goddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks