Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 21:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Would have let go of the truck, after that damage. While the cabin looks good from outside, the condition of everything else inside (chassis etc, - am not talking of the engine bay) is still based on visual inspection & we donot know with 100% surety that things are still good.

Btw, what you have - isnt that a nudge guard & not a crash guard ?
Nope.. The inside is pretty shaken up.. All seats are out of alingment and the rear sear has actually come off the rivets. so that needs to be replaced. yeah.. a nudge guard.. never nudged anybody though..

oh wait.. there was a time when a annoying honda city was playing around in traffic.. nudged him on a signal and broke his bumper

paid for the damage.. but it was fun.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
. However, does that vehicle look like so badly damaged as to cost more than 75% the cost of it? It is damaged and damaged badly, yes, however not so badly as to cost say 7 lakhs! Everything behind the engine compartment looks ok to me.

Not sure why but the car was insured for only 5.75 L. probably the depreciation, but since i am in US i was not aware of this till the accident happened and i had to check the insurance amount.

Anyway there is damage to inside the cabin as well.
The front glass broke due to impact from wiper's which is bent beyond recognition.
The steering column, dashboard are out of alingment. seats need to be replaced.., chassis relaced.. blah blah.. the list of things to be replaced actually went on for 2 pages. after half a page i gave up..

it should take a month to be ready .. i should be back for another visit by then.. will personally take the car delivery..

So MAG.. i will call you once i am there.. Mid August..

Goddy
Old 13th July 2009, 22:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Donno what to say just glad to know that all are safe. And a good driver you have.

And the new Safari..a GX or VX?

Edit: maybe your wider tyres too helped.

Few queries which should help others.

1) Did it skid to a side?
2) At what approx speed?
3) Tyre locked?
4) Where all wearing seat belts?
5) I cant believe what I read and saw !

Last edited by jkdas : 13th July 2009 at 22:41.
Old 13th July 2009, 22:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Donno what to say just glad to know that all are safe. And a good driver you have.

And the new Safari..a GX or VX?
Yeah.. I am glad too.. The driver has been with us for 3 years now and having a presence of mind in that situation really counts.. Most of them panic.
I have seen the GX and not too impressed with it.. also they dont have a White in the GX.
Will probably go for VX since it has Airbags and ABS.. will see once I come there.

1) Did it skid to a side? - Nope. no skids
2) At what approx speed? - i guess 80 Kmph
3) Tyre locked? - yes it did
4) Where all wearing seat belts? - Only Driver. My brother was up front.. but still not a scratch on him.. he needs to start wearing a seatbelt anyway
5) I cant believe what I read and saw ! - me too.. i saw the safari go into the lorry.. imagine my horror

Goddy

Last edited by Godfather : 13th July 2009 at 22:45.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

@Godfather: Really sad to know about all this. Thank God you and your family are ok.
Now get that truck repaired . By the way I did not see the Dicor in the parking lot in June-July.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:05   #20
BHPian

You all are safe, that's all that matters now. Take care. Be careful, keep distance, will save a lot of trouble.

Please don't beat up anyone (thank you for not beating him), even if it's his fault; let the law take its course.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
By the way I did not see the Dicor in the parking lot in June-July.
Ummm.. which Parking Lot?
Also the truck was totalled on June 19th and has been in the Concorde parking lot since june 20th

Goddy
Old 14th July 2009, 00:40   #22
Team-BHP Support

Hey Sumit, thank heavens there were no casualities! I would echo what the others have mentioned about scrapping the vehicle, but now that you've made up your mind, there seems to be no point.

Hope to see the vehicle back to its former glory. I quite remember checking out your Safari at one of the meets.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Goddy, thank God for small mercies! Hope everyone's over the initial shock by now.

I've heard a lot of people say that the Safari's built like a tank.Now I've seen it!
Just wondering, how did the glass in front of the steering wheel shatter? Looks more like the driver cracking his head on the glass.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Just wondering, how did the glass in front of the steering wheel shatter? Looks more like the driver cracking his head on the glass.
That was from the wipers.. It was raining at the time the accident took place. hence the wiper position on the glass. The impact has bent the wipers pretty bad and thats what caused that.
it was just a small crack at first but when it came to the service station i saw the gaping hole..

Goddy
Old 14th July 2009, 01:32   #25
BHPian

Thank the lord that nothing happened to anyone in the car. Money is nothing compared to human lives!
Old 14th July 2009, 02:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Holy Cow Goddy!
The Truck really saved your near and dear ones! From your description of the accident and the pics of the Truck, it does prove that its built like a tank!!

Glad to know that everyone is safe.
Old 14th July 2009, 02:49   #27
BHPian

Wow Goody. Praise the lord.

The re-build of the truck was a thought through the heart but how else would you be able to proudly say "Reclaim your life"

Here's wishing your family a speedy recovery and the truck years of stable and uneventful service to the family.
Old 14th July 2009, 06:20   #28
BHPian

Sad to hear about the accident and man, it was quite nasty and that's a sad reminder of our driving culture in this country. No fault of yours, the trailer fella created this havoc and also tried to run away from the scene. Shame on such people.

Btw, I am sure that you are aware of this and also I hope that I correct that when you change the chassis, you need to get the car registered again.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Ummm.. which Parking Lot?
Also the truck was totalled on June 19th and has been in the Concorde parking lot since june 20th

Goddy
He he , PBC block 3 parking lot.
Old 14th July 2009, 08:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

I thought doing high speeds in the range above 120 kmph is not safe in our highways due to lot of highly surprises in our country. But realized with this thread even at such slow speeds (empty highways), what could happen due to some others idiotic acts.

Is that lorry on blind spot (due to your vehicle) for the Safari driver? Are you running on OEM tyres or it was upgraded? How old were your tyres?
Quote:
We all very well know the risks involved in our uncertain highways, a tractor coming in the wrong side, a govt bus traveling 2-3 kms at 60 kmph on wrong side avoiding 5 kms extra run "U" turn, pedestrians crossing the roads as if they walk on their backyard & vehicles doing somersault in the process to avoid, lorry parking without any indication or reflector boards in place etc etc
This is one of the big menace in our highways & highly risky. I have seen countless numbers of fatal accidents due to this reason of traveling in wrong direction. Even on divided roads, if the road above is not clear, I remind myself about these idiots in wrong direction at good speeds, to waste those few seconds till I get clear roads & then proceed. It's easy to write here, but difficult to follow once you set the first few 100 kms nicely at highways.

Last edited by Surprise : 14th July 2009 at 08:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks