Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2005, 09:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Here is my story -

was coming back from work - direction vashi to chembur - on the Anushakti nagar flyover , the one with a curve , was doing 80 kmpl and there were slow climbing trucks , autos and bikes all over , as i reach the curve ,see these 2 cops pointing a "GUN" at me and i know im cooked ...so i continue at the same speed .........

as i exit the flyover , im behind a Qualis and this excited cop crosses the road with dare devilery and jumps into the fast lane with the qualis doing abt 70 kmph and the qualis has to hit emergency brakes ....as do i and all cars behind me ......then he asks the fast moving (50 kmph ) traffic in the middle lane to stop and GUIDES me to the side .....and starts negotiating...i ask him to gimme a rcpt for speeding and his look turns into one that of surprise !! he is shocked i asked for a receipt !!! nywys i pay off the fine , collect the receipt and am off !

the point here is - by jumping staright into a lane with fast moving traffic , these idiots will cause more accidents just for catching someone and collecting 100 bucks as fine !!

and next day when i climb the same flyover - i look out for boards stating the speed limit and i find that the speed limit on the 1st 4 boards is 30 kmph and as I reach the curve on the flyover the board shows speed limit of 60 kmph

maan these cops dont know how to spell LAW and they are authorised to implement it !!

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st June 2005 at 09:18.
Old 21st June 2005, 09:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
they have this kinda system in UK and North America ..it has just been introduced here ...
Is this the same as the Gatso cameras that are so infamous in the UK?

Revvhed, fully agree with you on unrealistic speed limits, and with you NC, on the behaviour of the cops. Somebody should fine these cops for dangerous driving!

Last edited by johnjacob : 21st June 2005 at 09:53.
Old 30th June 2005, 17:09   #18
BHPian

I was in South Korea for a month and observed they had an interesting system. On the expressways they have cameras to take pics of speeding motorists. But, there are signboards warning motorists of speed camera ahead at 1 Km and 500 mtrs distances. The logic is that if drivers are able to follow the signs and control their speeds at these points, they they would be able to control their cars even at higher speeds. After all its not about speed, but more of road conditions, conditions of car, driver alertness that really determines what a safe speed is. How can one speed fit all approach work. Infact cops should enforce the ridiculously low speed limits only in conditions such as wet weather etc. On bright sunny days for eg. a cushion of 20-30 kmph should be provided and only somebody driving at dangerously high speeds should be booked.
Old 30th June 2005, 17:23   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
there are signboards warning motorists of speed camera ahead at 1 Km and 500 mtrs distances.
Now that's how it should be! The idea behind speed camera's is that it deters people from speeding. But, with most camera's and cops with radar's hidden around corners, in trees or behind a bush, it is simply a source of income for that precinct. It really is the easiest way to collect money.

Now if they were serious about being concerned for our safety, they would put camera's at critical spots, and have proper signs notifying you of their presence. This would mean that everyone would slow to the limit in those dangerous area's, thus serving their purpose of making the roads safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks