Team-BHP - Bus grazes my Swift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Bus grazes my Swift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/61732-bus-grazes-my-swift.html)

It happened today morning at the intersection where the Film Nagar/Narne Road meets the old Mumbai Rd.

Bus grazes my Swift-swift_accident.jpg

There was an Oakridge school bus waiting at the intersection. The bus was on the left and I was on the right, slightly behind. When traffic started both of us started moving. But the bus took the turn more sharply and I was caught between the bus and the divider on the right. I horned but it was too late.

We crossed the intersection and parked on the side. Took the driver's name and bus number. Driver was refusing to admit his mistake. Anyway there was nothing much to be done. Besides I had a meeting at 8:30 am and I had to drop my wife in her office before that.

Checked the damage just now. The side panel over the tyres is dented. Indicators and all lights are working. There is some slight grazing on the tyre side wall. Hopefully damage will be covered by insurance.

Bus grazes my Swift-15072009.jpg

Bus grazes my Swift-15072009001.jpg

All I can say is you are damn lucky to get away with a damaged fender and a not so threatening wheel. It was a bus after all, it could have got much worse. Get the tyre damage checked thoroughly at MASS and be careful next time with these buses. The drivers have almost nothing to lose, and seldom care.

Hard luck.

Damage doesn't look much more than a denting and painting job - some manufacturers charge exorbitantly for that as well but Maruti is probably a little more reasonable.

That is a badly designed turn.

I have seen a fatal accident about a 100 yards away.

That Mumbai road is a very badly designed road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1385092)
All I can say is you are damn lucky to get away with a damaged fender and a not so threatening wheel. It was a bus after all, it could have got much worse. Get the tyre damage checked thoroughly at MASS and be careful next time with these buses.

Well it was an accident and I am taking it as such. Anyways I am contemplating an upgrade for the tyres since the old ones have crossed 30K.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straightdrive (Post 1385169)
Damage doesn't look much more than a denting and painting job

Yes. Damage could have been less but Swift body panels dent very easily.
Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1385202)
That Mumbai road is a very badly designed road.

You can say that again! I think it is listed as one of the popular "fatal" roads in Hyderabad.

The funny thing is that it all happened in slow motion. I could see the bus coming nearer and nearer and all I could do was watch. I was trapped between the bus and the divider. In retrospect maybe I could have reversed the car in the nick of time, but then it is not an idea that comes to mind in such a situation!

pls don't claim insurance for it,its a small damage.It may cost you only 2-3.5k(only the fender) & not more than that.
Have the insurance for major claims.the money you spent now can be saved while renewing the insurance.

MA.S.S usually charge close to 4K for 1 panel. LH Fender is 1 panel, bumper is 2nd Panel. You'd need to pay only for the deductible in your case. BTW is a NCB applicable on your policy??? When is your insurance up for renewal???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramsagar (Post 1385388)
pls don't claim insurance for it,its a small damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonirohit (Post 1385415)
BTW is a NCB applicable on your policy??? When is your insurance up for renewal???

My policy is up for renewal in another 2 months so I prefer not to claim it unless it is a large amount. If I don't like the MASS quotation I may settle for just a dent job.

Hard luck dude, It feels very bad when these things happen right in front our eyes, that too with family members in the car. I know we are all cautious while driving, just wish that we dont end up in a situation like this henceforth.

Sad to hear this.
This is usual practice followed in Hyderabad. Most of the guys who wants to turn right on a road goes to the extreme left lane(thanks to wider roads) and then turn to right thus blocking the middle lane and right lane.

Another thing is that when a vehicle is turning right / taking U-turn from the right most lane, Bikers cut between the vehicle and the divider and try to over take; even though the vehicle infront of them has a right indicator blinking .
You see both at the U-turn in KPHB-Hitec city road near the Hitech city Junction (junction).

-Matt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 1385621)
Sad to hear this.
This is usual practice followed in Hyderabad. Most of the guys who wants to turn right on a road goes to the extreme left lane(thanks to wider roads) and then turn to right thus blocking the middle lane and right lane.

-Matt.

That is not possible on this particular turn.

There is a small traffic island.
The vehicles going left go to the left of that island. All vehicles on the right of the island are turning right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by balajird (Post 1385545)
Hard luck dude, It feels very bad when these things happen right in front our eyes, that too with family members in the car. I know we are all cautious while driving, just wish that we dont end up in a situation like this henceforth.

Accidents happen all the time. I feel lucky that it was a minor one.

It makes me a little relaxed since there is less probability now that I will have another accident soon. Like that person who carried a bomb with him whenever he travelled by air, since according to statistics the probability of finding 2 bombs in a plane was less compared to finding a single bomb.

From the look of the damage to the fender, it's not going to cost more than Rs.2K maximum for denting and painting at a local shop

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1385632)
That is not possible on this particular turn.

There is a small traffic island.
The vehicles going left go to the left of that island. All vehicles on the right of the island are turning right.

I got it. I got the location wrong. I meant the U-turn that the vehicles from Kondapur direction turn on KPHB-Hitech City road. The Junction tha you mentioned comes just after this U-turn.

Gave my car at M.A.S.S. today. The quotation is for 4K which includes replacing the fender panel, painting charges for fender and touch up painting for the front bumper. Not claiming insurance since I would still have to pay 1K and also lose out on NCB.

Hopefuly they will wash and clean the car before delivery. I just came from a 350km drive day before yesterday and car needs a wash.

Took an auto to office today. I had almost forgotten how adventurous it feels, like living on the edge!