Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 15:57   #46
BHPian

Re: How do you thank the "Leading Car" driver at night?

Something many of us have done involuntarily. A thread dedicated to gives such a nice feeling.

Have done this/had it done to me a lot of times. The most recent one being the last trip to Jaipur. A couple of lead cars (a scorpio & a swift dzire both at different points of time though) came as a boon especially when the highway suddenly shifts to the service road.

However, trailing large CVs like buses & trucks need to be done carefully as they tend to ignore small potholes which can be axle breaking for many a cars.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thank the leading driver? That too in India? It is too much of a deviation from the Great Indian Driving Culture and we should not attempt that!

I've been in the leading position many a times, but I do not expect the drivers behind me to express their thanks in any risky ways. I do it mostly for my own safety. I warn people behind me of sudden traffic jams in front, deviations to be taken etc. and I can reduce the chance of people behind me hitting my car during a sudden stop which cannot be avoided.

Seen people thanking other drivers by raising their arms (in the same gesture to say 'hi') in Europe. Have done it too, but only to the people who are coming from the opposite direction. Attempting to thank a driver whom you are overtaking, or driving in parallel or behind you is kind of risky.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd March 2012 at 12:10.
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Thanking in India. I hope the trailing ones dont mistake the gesture for a challenge! But on the other hand, reading through this thread, I see that there are indeed a lot of well mannered highway drivers. So thanking a well mannered driver is a good gesture. Here in germany, they blink the right indicator, then left indicator or hazards 1time. Otherwise inside city driving, gestures are mostly hand signals, waving the hand to thank and also say hello. I hope that many such educated drivers take to the roads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks