Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 11:47   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Kavariyas or 'Protected' Hooligans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Will there be any impact of traffic bound from Jaipur towards Delhi?
Expect traffic jams over the weekend on NH8 about 50-80 km before reaching Delhi, with more disruption on the south-bound carriageway than the one heading towards Delhi. 17th is Shiv Ratri, so the peak traffic of kanwariyas is expected to happen on Snday and Monday (15-16 July).
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 12:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

15th to 18th will be total chaos on the roads in Ghaziabad and border areas of Delhi, better to avoid roads during those days.

Effected roads in UP is best avoided during these days, Delhi, still is manageable.
Old 15th July 2012, 14:36   #78
BHPian

Gurgaon - Jaipur; any Kavariya problems?

Folks,

I'm planning to head down to Jaipur the coming weekend (21 - 23 July). The idea is to start from Gurgaon at 5AM on Saturday morning and start back from Jaipur around 5AM on Monday morning.

Travelling with me will be my wife, infant son, and mother in law.

I see quite a few kavariyas along the Gurgaon - Delhi expressway during my office commute and I know their reputation for hooliganism. Could fellow BHPians familiar with the area/route please advise whether it would be safe/recommended for us to make this trip at this time?

Thanks in advance.
Old 15th July 2012, 15:31   #79
BHPian

Re: Gurgaon - Jaipur; any Kavariya problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifica View Post
Folks,

I'm planning to head down to Jaipur the coming weekend (21 - 23 July). The idea is to start from Gurgaon at 5AM on Saturday morning and start back from Jaipur around 5AM on Monday morning.

Travelling with me will be my wife, infant son, and mother in law.
There will be absolutely NO PROBLEMS during that time as the kanwar yatra ends on 17th Jul 2012 (Shiva Ratri on Tuesday - 17th).

BTW here is the link of the Kanwar thread, where this route is already being discussed:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...oligans-5.html

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 15th July 2012 at 15:32.
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 16:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

There wont be any problem at all. As mentioned earlier the yatra will end prior to your trip.
Enjoy your drive.
Take care and Drive Safe
Old 15th July 2012, 17:08   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
There will be absolutely NO PROBLEMS during that time as the kanwar yatra ends on 17th Jul 2012 (Shiva Ratri on Tuesday - 17th).
Thanks, Irish & Bhavik.

Irish, a double thanks to you for the helpful advice re: kavariyas during my family trip to Uttarakhand earlier this month. Your advice was very helpful in planning our trip and we ended up having a splendid little holiday up in the hills out of the ferocious Delhi heat.
Old 16th July 2012, 12:13   #82
BHPian

All roads, which cross Yamuna river in Delhi, coming from Meerut, Ghaziabad are facing huge traffic jams. Roads which needs to be totally avoided are:
  • NH 24 (Gazipur border - Akshardham)
  • G. T. Road (Dilshad Garden - Shahdara - Seelampur - ISBT - Tees Hazari - Filmistan - Karol Bagh)
  • Sahibabad - Yamuna Vihar - Wazirabad Yamuna bridge
One side road (coming from Gzb - Del) on these routes shall be closed (as done every year) for traffic from today afternoon till tomorrow morning. Traffic will run on single carriageway.

Writing this update as I faced a lot of traffic jams on first two of these routes. Nothing has been imposed on the kanwariyas. It's all the same as previous years, just their number has increased. Huge DJ speakers in mini/full size trucks (with diesel gensets in trolleys), with baseball bats, hockeys and other sticks, either walking or using all types of vehicles like cycles, motor bikes, scooters, auto rickshaws, cars, tempos, mini trucks etc. and making their own way by controlling traffic as Delhi traffic Police seems to be helpless. Total chaos everywhere on these routes.

Tomorrow is the last day for kanwar yatra and everything will be back to normal by tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 16th July 2012, 20:40   #83
BHPian

A religious group of men or a violent mob?

Hello!

We as common men and women of this country have sure a lot to deal with. We live in a country where taxes are used for brilliantly planned scams, they don't even spare toilet paper these days (CWG games, anyone?) apart from that we have to deal with inflation where the only 'money' that remains stable and doesn't move an inch is our Salary.

Apart from the economic mess that I love to vent about, the next thing that really bothers me is how lawless our state is becoming with each passing day. The number of years our judicial system takes to settle one case, you can outgrow from your teenage years and look towards your pension.

Since I was a child I was always excited about spotting these men in orange walking around with something around their shoulder, sometimes barefoot. It amazed me, I used to wave at them when I father used to drive. Fast forward a few years into the present and the excitement is replaced by fear.

What I really can't understand is how a bunch of 'religious' men can bully cars on a national highway into stopping and wave hockey sticks at vehicles and even get away with murder like they did in Gurgaon.

I was approaching the NH 8 highway that connects Dhaula Kuan to Gurgaon and suddenly I spotted a few Kawads blowing whistles and hockey sticks in their hand forcing the traffic to stop. Considering I was doing a good 70 Km/h I had to brake suddenly yet slowly to avoid the Tavera that was pretty close. I kept a safe distance but halted much before the Kawad who cursed me and waved his hockey stick. I felt like abusing him but held back. Partly because of all that I have been reading at T-BHP about not instigating road rage and majorly because they were close to 50 and I was alone.

What I can't understand is how the traffic police does absolutely nothing to prevent it. How can a bunch of men get on the toll road and bully drivers into halting. Can this not lead to a major accident? Why can't we have a seperate lane for Kawads and why are they roaming around on bikes without a helmet? The rules apply for the common man but of course they don't apply for mobs.

Its funny how these so called 'religious' men openly smoke up and create a nuisance and authorities casually look away. They were flagging down vehicles and bullying vehicles who tried to overtake them from the right. It was utter chaos. Their trucks are stationary on the middle of the toll road and these freaks jump down and magically pop up in front of your car.

They are riding without a helmet and in the wrong lane but cops don't stop them. Its just funny because if it was you and I we would be in major trouble.

Its not like its new, it happens every year, yet the government does nothing to prevent such incidents. On my visit to Agra last year, they damaged the hotel cab which was coming to pick us up. They pelted stones and damaged the windscreen.

Now the question remains, these so called pilgrims are going about destroying private property and causing violence. Why is the traffic department of the police not doing anything to curb it. Or is it the usual thing, the common man will deal with it. He doesn't have a choice.

What do you do to prevent the Kawad rampage? Has any BHP-ian been a victim to these mobs?

Last edited by Eddy : 16th July 2012 at 20:47. Reason: Merged
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 21:58   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

There is nothing that you can do. The police has its hands tied here. Those poor folks must be as helpless as you and me. I think it all boils down to the dirty politics thats played in our country which thrives on religious and caste bases issues. Trust me it would not take Delhi police more than half a day to round up each and every one of these monkeys and ensure that they get punished if they break any law. But our respected politicians have chosen to let this continue. And what is more surprising is that the Media also turns a blind eye to all this.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 22:15   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

There's a 'kanvariya' camp set up at the corner of Chiragh Delhi, causing huge traffic jams on the south-bound carriageway of the BRT corridor throughout the day and late into the evening. Keep off that area as much as possible.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:35   #86

Re: A religious group of men or a violent mob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello!

We as common men and women of this country have sure a lot to deal with. We live in a country where taxes are used for brilliantly planned scams, they don't even spare toilet paper these days .....
What I really can't understand is how a bunch of 'religious' men can bully cars on a national highway into stopping and wave hockey sticks at vehicles and even get away with murder like they did in Gurgaon......
What do you do to prevent the Kawad rampage? Has any BHP-ian been a victim to these mobs?

As residents of Gurgaon and frequent travelers on NH-1, we have also been witness to the modern day kavarias a.k.a goons.

One interesting observation is that the actual kavarias are still walking on the side of the road carrying the religious structures on their shoulders. However there are hoards of men in orange clothes with baseball bats and hockey sticks, some on foot and others on bikes/ tempos and even trucks. These are the supposed goons who in the disguise of religion are busy dancing to loud music from their trucks and shooing away vehicles at pleasure. They may be having a gala time in this season eating free food and stay arranged for kavarias by local religious and political bodies.

I would urge Bhpians to comment if you have similar or contrasting observations.

Abhishek- I would suggest you to send this write-up of yours to TOI, HT, etc. so that we (the common people) can raise our feeble voice against this menace.
Deepalimal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 23:27   #87
BHPian

Thanks Doc!

Our 'respected' politicians have a right of way when they're moving around .

I really wish one of their vehicles get pelted. God knows what would happen to the Kawad who would do that but at least it may serve as a wake up call.

The onus is always on us to do the right thing and to save ourselves but the government refuses to bulge. These little things accumulate and makes me wonder am I just paying taxes to be roughed up or am I paying them to have a better life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
There is nothing that you can do. The police has its hands tied here. Those poor folks must be as helpless as you and me. I think it all boils down to the dirty politics thats played in our country which thrives on religious and caste bases issues. Trust me it would not take Delhi police more than half a day to round up each and every one of these monkeys and ensure that they get punished if they break any law. But our respected politicians have chosen to let this continue. And what is more surprising is that the Media also turns a blind eye to all this.
Old 17th July 2012, 00:49   #88
BHPian

Hi Deepalimal,

Unfortunately 'shoo' is still a sober word to use for their antics. Lets just say they threaten vehicles and those who don't comply risk damage and if things get out of hand even violence.

You are absolutely correct. I have seen a few who patiently wait for traffic to pass by and mind their own business. These nice folks are usually cautious are do not travel in groups.

I am contemplating writing to a media house. The issue however is with the Kawar festivities almost coming to an end, my email may find its way on their trash folder. However I shall try anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepalimal

These are the supposed goons who in the disguise of religion are busy dancing to loud music from their trucks and shooing away vehicles at pleasure. They may be having a gala time in this season eating free food and stay arranged for kavarias by local religious and political bodies.

Abhishek- I would suggest you to send this write-up of yours to TOI, HT, etc. so that we (the common people) can raise our feeble voice against this menace.
Old 17th July 2012, 01:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: A religious group of men or a violent mob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello!

I almost ended up abusing one today. My good fortune that I managed to constrain myself.
But seriously looking at the way these hooligans are going about their drama on public roads makes me feel terribly depressed at the state of affairs in our land.
Every day I take the delhi gurgaon expressway to drop and pick my wife from gurgaon and last few days its been hell. One full lane has been siphoned off for these hooligans yet they spill over to other lanes. Trucks after trucks full of these goons playing bollywoodised religious songs at full blast parked on the highway with scant regard for the traffic or the public. Hockey stick wielding people directing traffic at will. Kawads walking on the road outside the lanes marked for them and being followed by fools on bikes, riding tripples and needless to say without helmets, bringing the whole traffic to a crawl. And to top all this the cops looking on helplessly, which does cut out a very sorry picture.

Looking at all this, I fail to understand what is religious in all this exercise. To me its nothing but a show of strength. Pathetic that people like us can do nothing about it.
Old 17th July 2012, 11:31   #90
BHPian

This problem is not related to one specific religion / region.

Whenever, wherever such gatherings will be organized in India, such situation will definitely be there. Because we are living in the Free Independent India where such groups think that they have a right to do things as per their own wishes. Please note that such things happen only in groups. If you separate people of the group then everybody will follow the rules.

The worst affected roads in Delhi was G.T. road where you can see a kanwar camp after every 100 meters, yes that's correct, it's 100 meters. No government agency stops them from erecting huge pandals on roads, which in turn, creates problem to the traffic. You know that people who live or work at such routes are the WORST affected. The shopkeepers in ghaziabad haven't done any business in the last one week. People don't have any backups in case of urgent medical attention. Media doesn't want to highlight the traffic jams due to religious gatherings but they can show the traffic jams due to rains, water logging, marriages in delhi etc.

The kanwar yatra is allotted only the left most lane but when they bring Dak kanwar, such lanes are of no use. Dak Kanwars are basically the huge trucks with diesel gensets in the rear and decorated with lights, flashers and other stuff, hanging out of the trucks. At least 20 people in the truck with huge DJ speakers and around 20 people on bikes. 2 or 3 are running with holy water cans in hands and changing hands in every 100 meters. Atleast 5 bikes are running in front of the dak kanwar to clear the way i.e. use sticks and force other vehicles to start moving even on a red light. Traffic police is watching all this and helps them to clear their truck's path. Their drivers drive very rash in order to reach their destinations in lesser time as compared to previous year's. Today I saw such truck with a banner "Dak Kanwar - Haridwar to Delhi - Best Time 15 hours 12 minutes". I think that in order to improve their timings they drive much faster.

I would say that only 2% of the total crowd is doing it religiously and rest of the crowd is doing it for fun, the food and amenities they get on the way in the kanwar camps etc. I have personally seen people (workers at my friend's factory), who have nothing to do with such yatra, they just take 2 day's leave and go till Ghaziabad and walk back to Delhi after having enjoyed food.

I had written to Mr. Satyendra Garg (JCP, Delhi Traffic) last year but never got any reply. I advised him to control such situation now before it is impossible to control. Since the population is increasing day by day, young crowd joins / participate religious activities and then becomes out of control and they start doing to what they feel is good. Such religious gatherings were never used to be so huge around 10 years back. There were few hundreds coming and that's it but as we are progressing with our population, such gatherings are getting huge.

Just 2 weeks back, India Gate was stormed by such thousands of hooligans (another religion) in the late night hours and even minor boys were performing the stunts on bikes / scooters / scooties. Police remain a silent spectator as these hooligans are protected by the politicians just for the sake of vote bank.

If such situation is not controlled now then it will be out of control in the coming years.

By the way, the traffic mess is over today and traffic will be back on the track on Delhi roads by tomorrow morning. This is what all the Govt. agencies (police, MCD etc.) might be thinking today.

Cheers!
Irish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks