Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:40   #1
BHPian

Been to Leh on your Swanky SUV, now see this.

Just an interesting plan by a guy, who plans to do it in an Auto Rickshaw

Hiring an auto rickshaw and driving up to Ladakh - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:54   #2
BHPian

Not only are those three wheelers a nuisance that ought to be banned ; they would be ridiculously unsafe to drive on those roads / heights. Can those puny tires even make it that far? How about the engine?

Dont blame me for sounding critical, I have no idea of the technical specifications of those black and yellow pests.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh, my my, very strong sentiments indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Not only are those three wheelers a nuisance that ought to be banned ; they would be ridiculously unsafe to drive on those roads / heights. Can those puny tires even make it that far? How about the engine?

Dont blame me for sounding critical, I have no idea of the technical specifications of those black and yellow pests.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can those puny tires even make it that far? How about the engine?
I have seen auto rickshaws cross over Rohtang Pass.
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:34   #5
Sha
BHPian

Next year I am planning to go leh in TVS 50 .
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:43   #6
BHPian

One day ( 1999 ) I took an auto rickshaw ride from Sawantwadi to Amboli. driver + 3 pax & the rickshaw did the ghat pretty good.
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:10   #7
BHPian

Most of these guys have not stayed in India enough to get fed up of the Three Wheel Menace.
Check this , they are doing some good work along the way as well though.
The Rickshaw Run Winter 09 :: What's it all about?
Old 23rd July 2009, 12:05   #8
BHPian

old stuff. this dude will not be the first to do it.

back in 2005 when i was in the middle of a ride, i saw a swedish couple in Leh who had come from Jaipur to Leh via the Manali route on their Bajaj RE rickshaw. They were going to attempt Khardungla the next day. Never found out if they did, but if the RE crossed the mess called Tanglang La, then Khardung should have been no problem.
Old 4th August 2009, 05:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how to react to this thread. I never thought in my wildest dreams that it's possible to do this stretch on a rick.

I think if a rick can do it then possibly all cars above 800cc can manage this stretch ( maybe even the nano ).
Old 4th August 2009, 06:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

On a slightly different note, I don't see too many people with swanky SUVs having gone to Leh! No disrespect to the Safari and Scorpio folk, but I am pretty sure that they do not think that their vehicles qualify for swanky. I would not even call the Pajero or Endeavour swanky anymore, and precious few of those have been there!
Old 4th August 2009, 07:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
On a slightly different note, I don't see too many people with swanky SUVs having gone to Leh........
+1 for the thought that most SUV's are not used for much except comfy city/highway drives.

That said the challenge level of this route is much less when you have a SUV or a Gypsy under you. With higher GC and long travel suspension the trip becomes more enjoyable. Speaking from personal experience there was always a niggle of apprehension the two times I did this in my Esteem. Compare this to most fun drive I had in GV doing the same route in 2007 & 08.

However it is not the drive but ever changing vistas that are most rewarding and worth the experience even if you do it using public bus service. In fact that is an experience in itself that I want to soak in one day.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

LOL
But then they do get the job done (=transportation) at relatively low cost.
... and then India is surely not the country with a very high per capita income.

In any case I have seen those auto rickshaws doing really difficult terrain in semi-rural areas (where there are no roads to speak of).

Last edited by alpha1 : 4th August 2009 at 15:07.
Old 6th August 2009, 06:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

The advantage about such vehicles is that because they are light, they tend to not get stuck in the first place, and ride over obstacles a lot easier, with their shorter wheel bases. And if one is really stuck, one can get some help and manually lift the thing out of trouble and deposit it on to a firmer surface. So, as long as the vehicle is reliable and not overburdened, it will make it. What shape passengers in it will be at the end of the drive is a different matter of course, but it cannot be much worse than ordinary long distance drives in such vehicles, I imagine. I would think that the Nano will do very well - with the AC shut off any time it is climbing, and with just 2 people travelling light in it. The spot for the first Nano across is up for grabs, and I think next season there will be a few vying to grab that!
Old 6th August 2009, 09:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Whoa!!! This is going to fun. I think the biggest problem a three wheeler will face will front lifting in case of climbing steep ascents as the engine and all other load is on the back.

Would be nice to know what happened to this one.

Cheers
Old 11th August 2009, 13:28   #15
BHPian

I do not know whether the bajaj OR tvs three wheeler will be able to do that but our own desi chhakda will make it for sure..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks