Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2005, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Calicut

some photos taken during my drive from bangalore to calicut, kerala.

This one is a view from 'HairPin' curves near Wayanad

And this one is while coming back - via telicherry-virajpetta route:

Old 24th June 2005, 15:26   #2
BHPian

nice.... how are the roads now after the onset of the monsoon?

maybe doing a drive to Mahe in 2 weeks time. hence the questions :-)

btw, what car were you driving?
Old 24th June 2005, 16:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

What is your model of travel and how many kms you traveled.

Vow, that second picture makes to to feel dive into my system and swim on the water. Excellent capture. I have never visited Kerala and heard a lot about it. I was once to Munar, but the food style does not suit me at all.

Which is the best place to visit in Kerala ( hill station sort with rivers, lots of trees etc)
Old 24th June 2005, 16:57   #4
BHPian

my mode of transport was my good ol' maruti 800.
roads are pretty bad, my trip was a few months back, that time they were doing some work on Bangalore - Wayanad route - if its complete, maybe roads would be in better shape now.

its raining heavily in kerala now, typically tourists wouldnt like rainy season to go to any place. but if you ask me, kerala monsoons have its own charm - i have always liked watching the pouring rain, sitting at my balcony, sipping a steaming cup of tea :-)

you can visit the usual kumarakom route, or you can come to northern parts - check out 'Kadavu' resort (near calicut) on the web.
Old 25th June 2005, 12:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS300
its raining heavily in kerala now, typically tourists wouldnt like rainy season to go to any place. but if you ask me, kerala monsoons have its own charm
You betcha - thats the BEST time to visit!!!

Quote:
- i have always liked watching the pouring rain, sitting at my balcony, sipping a steaming cup of tea :-)
Beer is better when you're in such a melancholy or sentimental mood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
I was once to Munar, but the food style does not suit me at all.
No point in being a tourist is all you want to do is live like you were back home - experiment (without compromising your core values like vegetarianism, of course) and learn!
Old 26th June 2005, 00:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
its raining heavily in kerala now, typically tourists wouldnt like rainy season to go to any place. but if you ask me, kerala monsoons have its own charm - i have always liked watching the pouring rain, sitting at my balcony, sipping a steaming cup of tea :-)
Yeah.It's raining heavily in Kerala now.Driving in the rain can be dangerous but if one slows down,the trip can be really nice.Unless the ride happens to be an open top!!But the roads soon start to deteriorate with the onset of monsoons,spoiling all the fun.Oh well!I guess we can't have it all...
Old 15th January 2009, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Dear All,

After one year of no travel, we are planning to drive down to Calicut and then to Guruvayur on next extended weekend. There seems to be 2 routes from Bangalore - 1. via Bandipur - Gudalur - Neelambur (NH212).
2. through Wynad - Sultan Bathry - Kalpetta (State Highway).

Travelling with our 4 month old baby...Any info on road conditions? Which one is advisable to take now?
Old 15th January 2009, 16:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1558 View Post
Dear All,

After one year of no travel, we are planning to drive down to Calicut and then to Guruvayur on next extended weekend. There seems to be 2 routes from Bangalore - 1. via Bandipur - Gudalur - Neelambur (NH212).
2. through Wynad - Sultan Bathry - Kalpetta (State Highway).

Travelling with our 4 month old baby...Any info on road conditions? Which one is advisable to take now?
Route 2 is always better and faster.

Abhi

Most Viewed