Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 20:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Too bad that there were children on the street....

If not, I doubt these picnicers would have been so accomodated...
Old 28th July 2009, 20:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Generally in other so called developed countries, there is a area ear marked for staging protests. Anyone can give proper notice to the authorities and stage the protest at this designated place.

Generally this place is cordoned off from the public area so that the general public is not troubled.

This i guess is the right solution but then do people with power can get time from money making to make such provisions. I don't think so
Old 29th July 2009, 03:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
This i guess is the right solution but then do people with power can get time from money making to make such provisions. I don't think so
That place will be taken up by beggars and turned into slums. Then there will be morchas to save those slums. And morchas to get those slums removed. By this time, elections will be nearby and political leaders will make frequent trips to these areas to beg for votes. Round and round we go.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:27   #19
BHPian

Disgusting and shameful. Atrocious and senseless act. What really gets me it level of selfishness we humans have within us. The reason I say this is that from the snaps, I see some of the parents are actually out there for some picnic of time pass. They are in quite a jovial mood, which many people are struck in traffic jam.

Today, what they are doing is quite justified from their perspective as they feel that at the receiving end, but tomorrow if some other group does the same and many of these parents when struck in a similar jam would raise hue and cry and create a great fuss.

We all have problems and that's quite common. But, this is the last resort and they have no right to put others at inconvenience. This is quite a shameful act.

Last edited by muralisk : 29th July 2009 at 08:29.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:37   #20
BHPian

May be a bit off topic, but why exactly are the students and parents protesting? From the news I gather that the management wants to move the school due to the school building being old and structurally unsafe, but is this a big issue if the school is to be moved. I'm just trying to understand this matter.

Back to the topic, I do not think protesters have a right to disturb the movement of other fellow citizens. It is plain rudeness, selfishness and stupidity. There are right ways to protest and wrong ways. This is one of the wrong ways. If I remember right, the many candle-light protests were done in a proper manner where there was enough space given to traffic to move. This is how it should be done.

Last edited by DriverR : 29th July 2009 at 08:43.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:14   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
What would you do if you were in their shoes?
I would accept the school management's decision to move classes. If I can trust my child's primary education to an institution, I have to trust that institution's judgement in a smaller (relatively) matter such as the location & potential lack of safety too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
May be a bit off topic, but why exactly are the students and parents protesting? From the news I gather that the management wants to move the school due to the school building being old and structurally unsafe, but is this a big issue if the school is to be moved. I'm just trying to understand this matter.
That, and the fact that a 10 day extension was requested. For the others : News Linky
Old 29th July 2009, 12:07   #22
Senior - BHPian

How horrifying! Reflects absolute lack of concern for fellow human beings. What is worrying me is that this callousness is spreading to many nooks and corners of our country---I was myself caught in a couple of such jams and I shudder to think of the inconvenience and resentment it caused.

At times I think of grabbing a Kalashnikov and mowing down such crooks, even if it means spending the rest of my life in gaol.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:15   #23
BANNED

Those kids are being set a bad example by their parents.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:29   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Those kids are being set a bad example by their parents.
Thats the New Era we are heading to.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would accept the school management's decision to move classes. If I can trust my child's primary education to an institution, I have to trust that institution's judgement in a smaller (relatively) matter such as the location & potential lack of safety too.
That, and the fact that a 10 day extension was requested. For the others : News Linky
Keeping aside whether the morcha was justified or not, the unstated reason for shifting the school is:

Moving the low paying SSC students out of the building to another building in another part of town (a few km away i think)...so that the building can be used for a new 'international' school with high paying students...
Old 29th July 2009, 13:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What would you do if you were in their shoes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
the management wants to move the school due to the school building being old and structurally unsafe, but is this a big issue if the school is to be moved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Moving the low paying SSC students out of the building to another building in another part of town (a few km away i think)...so that the building can be used for a new 'international' school with high paying students
I dont know which story to trust, but the question is similar as asked by greenhorn. From the new link provided by GTO, I read that the students have not attended the school for past one month. From the new link :
Quote:
Over 1,000 students of the New Era School on Hughes Road, who have not been attending school for the past month following a dispute with the management,
Although offtopic, the main reason why these type of protests happen is that we lack what is called values. We have education system based on marks/grades and not values. Hence these things happen.

I would say that the way they have expressed themselves is not good. I am able to see that a physical road divider is not present. The parents could have kept atleast one lane open and managed the traffic, that would be real responsible citizen. I partly agree with greenhorn, and also believe that parents were frustrated beyond point and hence that ignorant picnic on road, but this does not give them permission to block an entire road.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 29th July 2009 at 13:31.
Old 29th July 2009, 21:11   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Keeping aside whether the morcha was justified or not, the unstated reason for shifting the school is:

Moving the low paying SSC students out of the building to another building in another part of town (a few km away i think)...so that the building can be used for a new 'international' school with high paying students...
Yes, but really depends on which side you hear out, doesn't it? The school's management has given an entirely different reasoning. Plus, the courts are treating this case in a pretty expedited manner.
Old 30th July 2009, 10:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

well by blocking the entire road they got the media coverage of their issues, task half done. Very selfish, cruel way of raising protest. as GTO said, what if there was someone with medical emergency in the traffic ?
Old 30th July 2009, 12:36   #29
BHPian

I think they are a bunch of boors. If there is a problem which is as small as changing the location the parents could have behaved in a slightly civilised manner. Bringing the city to a hault doesn't make sense at all.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

OK thats it!!! Me and my colleagues are going to do a sitdown/picnic/team outing/morcha whatever today evening on the EGL main road, to protest against the bad cafeteria food

who all want to join?

Most Viewed