Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 17:40   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?

Okay, I'm not here to debate on whether the students (and their parents) of the New Era School on Peddar Road have been wronged or not.

BUT it is ironical that they have to fight for education in such an illiterate manner! Absolutely disgusting how we don't think twice about inconveniencing others, or bringing a city's south end to a stand still, just to have our problems heard out.

An example : As per the daily schedule, I reached Jaslok Hospital at 0845 hours this morning. At 0930 hours, I've only moved 10 meters ahead. Traffic had come to a stand-still and no one had a clue as to whats going on (a cop told me that a tree has fallen). At 1030, I'm still on the same road (nearly 2 hours after having gotten there), finally see an empty parking spot, dump my car and walk 4 kms to the nearest taxi.

Now, I'm not that inconvenienced because I am my own boss. But what about a patient "dying" to get to the hospital? Or a hopeful missing his critical visa interview? Or the salesguy who needed to close that crucial last deal to retain his job? Or the bride who reached her own wedding 3 hours too late?

Negatively affecting others for our own benefits is just not done.

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?-moto_0563.jpg

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?-moto_0564.jpg

Name:  moto_0565.jpg
Views: 2568
Size:  85.3 KB

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?-moto_0566.jpg

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?-moto_0567.jpg

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?-moto_0568.jpg

Can we accomplish anything without a MORCHA (Peddar Road protest)?-moto_0569.jpg
Old 28th July 2009, 17:58   #2
BHPian

From your photos it looks like some of them think they are out for a picnic. Disgusting. Agree completely that the approach of inconveniencing half a city just to highlight their own problems is definitely not the right way of doing things. I guess if they were hoping to garner public support, they have done just the opposite.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:00   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From your photos it looks like some of them think they are out for a picnic. Disgusting.
I don't mean to demean their efforts, but yes, most of the people I walked by were laughing + eating + chilling.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Disgusting raised to N . Water jets should be used to take these people off the road. I dont care who is right or wrong but where do the normal public go ? Its not their dads road to be protesting and stopping traffic like this for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't mean to demean their efforts, but yes, most of the people I walked by were laughing + eating + chilling.
Yes they may be right in their protest but their way is totally wrong and like you stated someone might need medical attention, urgent work and how helpless these people would be.

Last edited by humyum : 28th July 2009 at 18:10.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

They can protest as they its their right but they dont have any right to trouble other fellow beings in society and this is totally pathetic.

the problem is that our govt doesnt deal with such brainless people with a tough stick so these incidents are growing.

And i dont know what these policemen were doing there when they are not even bothered about the nuissance it has created.

At least they should have moved the people off the road so that traffic could flow.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely disgusting! Had there been a VIP in that stuck lot, things would have been cleared in a jiffy by showing the raw end of a hawaldar stick. By the way the last photo looks like a phoren location.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:23   #7
BHPian

lol, I dont hear these comments when a political party is holding on to the road. But when a few parent block the road, they should be waterjetted. I would like to see political rallys waterjetted.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

People won't stand up against their representatives for the fear of being beaten up. But if the representatives get stuck, on call to the IPS officer makes a difference. Heck they can delay flights, let alone clear roads for themselves atleast.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:34   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
lol, I dont hear these comments when a political party is holding on to the road. But when a few parent block the road, they should be waterjetted. I would like to see political rallys waterjetted.
You should consider the message going out to the students of that school, which makes it more detestable. I am sure there is a better way to groom our tomorrow.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

Generally in other so called developed countries, there is a area ear marked for staging protests. Anyone can give proper notice to the authorities and stage the protest at this designated place.

Generally this place is cordoned off from the public area so that the general public is not troubled.
Old 28th July 2009, 18:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

from what i can see from the pics, excellent roads, nice prosche showroom. a new era school with old era parents trying to get some attention in an old fashioned way. yes they can protest but cannot high jack something for achieving that. quite sad and selfish. that's why i hate PTAs.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:38   #12
BANNED

Civil Disobedience didn't end after 15-Aug-1949. Untill somebody comes up with an alternate, I guess we have to leave with it.
Old 28th July 2009, 19:42   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
lol, I dont hear these comments when a political party is holding on to the road.
Well, I don't think anyone approves of political blockages either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
from what i can see from the pics, excellent roads, nice prosche showroom. a new era school with old era parents trying to get some attention in an old fashioned way.
Its a main arterial road leading up to Marine Drive.

Quote:
that's why i hate PTAs.
LOL! Where did that come from
Old 28th July 2009, 19:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately for most people, there are no better options. Even getting legal recourse is not feasible. What would you do if you were in their shoes?
Old 28th July 2009, 20:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now parents know where not to send their children for studies. New Era School of course. And good that photographs show the faces of people picnicking on the street

Most Viewed