Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2009, 20:33   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Tell me, if someone from Bangalore takes up employment at Hyderabad (HiTec City), and has ample proof of going to-and-fro Bangalore each month, will he still be liable to pay up immediately?

I MAY face such a situation and understand that HiTec City is a real hotspot for RTO checking. Can I get away if I can show toll receipts and Bangalore petrol bills (genuine!)?
Old 1st August 2009, 23:20   #17
BHPian

As of late I have noticed that there has been a significant increase in traffic checking of outstation vehicles in the Madhapur area. If a traffic police stops you, then you can get away with 50-100 Rs, but if you are caught by the RTA inspector, then its best for you to have all the documents in place.

Based on my experience I suggest you pay the road tax if you are sure that you will be in Hyderabad for a couple of years. I believe you would not face any issues if you can always keep an updated toll receipt. Then again, some of the inspectors here are hell bent on making our life miserable. Last year, one of my colleagues with a DL registered car was also made to pay a 50k road tax.

After Monday, I can finally drive my car in peace :-)
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
47K is a ridiculous amount
Come to Bangalore, it's even much more! It's 13% for cars above 5L and 12% below 5L, and add to that some 10% municipal tax. For a swift VDi, it comes around 73K+!

Thank god they just got away with 12% entry tax too!
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A friend who came to hyderabad with a KA registered Indica was caught at Hitec city after driving around for 1 month, he paid 29K as road tax which was about 8% of the invoice value.
does one need to pay road tax even if he has been in a new state just for 1 month ? I believe, you need not pay any road taxes for the first 11 months, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:34   #20
BANNED

A colleague of mine shifted from Kerala to Bangalore. After 1 year in Bangalore, he was made to pay a fine of 40K+ fine for Kerala registration on his Santro driven in Karnataka for 1 year
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

How did the RTO determine that a KL registered vehicle was being driven for over a year in KA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
A colleague of mine shifted from Kerala to Bangalore. After 1 year in Bangalore, he was made to pay a fine of 40K+ fine for Kerala registration on his Santro driven in Karnataka for 1 year
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:04   #22
BHPian

I guess the local tax holiday for an outstation vehicle varies from state to state. In AP, its is just 1 month

If you bring an outstation vehicle to Hyderabad, you need to pay the road tax within 1 month. After that, you will need to pay a penalty which will be over and above the tax amount.

Hyderabad Road Tax

and here is how you calculate the new lifetax to be paid in Hyd.
Life Tax Calculation

All these for driving in a city with stone-age traffic sense!!!

The good part is that most IT companies reimburse the new road-tax paid when you relocate from one state to another if the transfer is a company initiated one. Atleast mine did.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 2nd August 2009 at 22:24.
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:46   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How did the RTO determine that a KL registered vehicle was being driven for over a year in KA?
No idea. But I know that he was charged more than 40K & it took him a week to get his siezed car released
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know, after obtaining the NOC from particular district, you have to register it to a new district or state within a month. Hence in the process you will have to pay the tax structure of that state. You will get a new Regn number.

without NOC you can drive any number of time in any state, if its a private vehicle.

here in delhi most people register their vehicle as HR due to low taxation their. they drive here normally without any problem.

We are using GJ registered vehicle in rajasthan and vice versa, without any issue
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:45   #25
BHPian

Hi ,
Let me put forth the rules as per the RTO which are valid all over India :

1. If the car is going to be in the state for less than 3 months then you need not pay any road tax and so you do not need any NOC. But you should have proof that the vehicle is in the state for lesser than 3 months prior to when you are caught.

2. If the car is going to be in the state for a period less than 1 year then you will have to pay road tax but no need to re-register. You will need a NOC for this.

3. If the car is going to be in the state for more than 1 year then road tax + re-registration.

These are the rules all over India. Now if you want to pay the road tax then make sure you start the procedure within 15 days of entering the state or else it calls for a fine.

Here is my brief write-up of what I went through while transferring my car and bike from Bangalore to Pune.

Transferring my bike and car from Bangalore to Pune | RTO Junction | Car Forums - CarWale.com
Old 3rd August 2009, 09:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Our cars are treated as refugees in our own country !! I had a similar bad experience with Hyd RTA, but luckily got away with a small(er) fine.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Living with out of state vehicle

I may be a little late on this thread but thought would share my knowledge and expereince of living with a out of state vehicle.

I have a Delhi registered Uno which was in 2004-06 in Chennai then moved back to Delhi and now from September 2008 has been here in Hyderabad. I have not changed the registeration nor made any tax payments.

The NOC if taken from a RTO has a validity of 6 months ( According to CMVR and MVA). The NOC is specific from one RTO to another and not a generic one. The moment a NOC is taken from a RTO they deregister the vehicle from their books to avoid duplicate registeration. Once a NOC is issued by the RTO, the owner is allowed to take a refund on the road tax on a prorata basis. The vehicle now should be registered with the RTO in whose name the NOC has been issued. A person is allowed to ply their vehicles in another state for a maximum time of 12 months without registereing or paying tax. Driving a vehicle with an expired NOC is tantamount to driving an unregistered vehicle, which is a crime.

While i was in Chennai, whenever stopped by cops, used to show them the papers and there was no problem. When stopped in Bangalore, used to show them receipts of Chennai and again used to be let go.

In Hyderabad I have been stopped a few time and I show them all the paers. RC, Insurance and PUC . When asked about the vehicle, I always tell them that i have every intention of sending back the vehicle and they let me go
Old 12th August 2009, 00:17   #28
BHPian

The options as I see are three.

1. Get an agent involved. Stop interacting with the RTO guys directly if you want a speedy resolution. Get the agent run after getting the vehicle out. Pay him his commission of 2-3k pay the Tax at actual. Basically Bribe them

2. Since there is no provision for Seizing the vehicle in RTO unless you have met with accident / banged someone which cost them their life. So fill in the RTI, submit asking details under what provisions was the vehicle seized. If at all this does not work, any ways you need to pay the amount asked for, but create some pain to them by filling in RTI.

3. Bribe the cop directly, get the vehicle out apply for cancellation of NOC in kerala by getting a letter from AP RTO. Reapply for NOC in KL, in that way you will save on the penalty.

Technically speaking without being biased, you are @ fault, since you have the NOC stamped on the RC book. As I understand or experienced there is no validity on the NOC. For you to get NOC canceled from KL, you will need the NOC from AP, which I dont see you getting unless you get the vehicle released.

However 1st option seems to be more viable to me
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:11   #29
BHPian

i drove a ka car in hyd for two years withnopapers excapt for the road tax reciept
even after two years they did not register my car in ap

its hopeless
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:31   #30
BHPian

As far as I know, the HC has conformed that that out of state vehicles does not need to pay any tax and if they have paid the tax it should be returned back, this came in TOI for karnataka

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks