Team-BHP - How and when did you learn to drive?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   How and when did you learn to drive? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/6327-how-when-did-you-learn-drive.html)

Tell everyone about your first driving lesson. Details you might want to include:

- Car
- Location in India

P.S Mods, please delete if this has been discussed somewhere else ...

Age - 16
Tutor - Dad
Car - M800 (carb)
Location - Valparai (Tamil Nadu)

Uncle works for Hindustan Lever so he was given a huge Bungalow with an awesome garden and a private road. Limited myself to the first 2 gears.

Shan2nu

Age - 15
Tutor - Driver
Car - Premier Padmini
Location - Five Gardens, Worli Seaface, Don Bosco School

Dippy

Ha! My first behind the wheel experience was at age 16 also! And alone!! Drove my dad's petrol Amby a couple of hundred feet (on first gear - the engine was revving like crazy). Then put it in reverse and back into the parking lot! This was in Satara (about 110 kms. south of Pune)

Man! What a rush that gave me! Almost like having a girlfriend and kissing her for the first time :) (Well, on second thoughts, no! First kiss is waaay better :) )

But ultimately got my real lessons from a pathetic driving school, at age 22.

Ok this is gonna be hard to belive for many........most people dont belive me on this but i used to drive my old maruti with a huge heep of pillow when i was barely 10. Never drove on the road just in my building.... my tutor was my dad as he used to keep me on his lap and let me steer a little bit when i was very young......i have been a car freak since then. My driver trained me alot too and always sat besides me when i drove and the first time i drove on the road was probably when i was 12-13 but that was just one round of bandstand and back, never really took the risk of driving on the road at such a young age.

If the question steering sitting on dads lap comes into the picture I used to do that when i was in 2nd standard in Dubai on my Toyota Cressida. Used to steer all the way on the road to school

Dippy

Age - 17
Tutor - Dad
Car - M800 (carb)
Location - MIDC ( New Mumbai)

i first started by learning abt the gears and then the ABC's. then started going back and forth in first and reverse respectively in my office compound and then slowly on to the roads.

it has been 9 years + and i still remember the thrill when i sat in my car at the steering for the first time.

shubbhi

Okay for me it was at age 16,at the race course compound in Mumbai,in an Amby,when the driver was supposed to drop me to college,,the car felt beautiful then,of course since it was a first,,but seriously ,i still do not consider myself a good driver,18 years later,,always scope to IMPROVE,,

Hey no lap driving included. Let us know the first time you drove while controlling the steering, gear box and pedals.

If we talk lap driving, we're looking at insane ages. Less than 10 years in my case.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Hey no lap driving included. Let us know the first time you drove while controlling the steering, gear box and pedals.

If we talk lap driving, we're looking at insane ages. Less than 10 years in my case.

Shan2nu

Hmmm, Come to think of it, I never really did any lap-driving. I was too scared of my pop to ask him for a spin.

All my backyard driving was surreptitious too. Although I think my dad knew about it all along. :)

Age - 16
Tutor - Dad
Car - M800
Location - Bangalore roads at a time when there wasnt too much traffic

Age - 15
Tutor - Chauffeur
Car - Ambassador Mk 3 (KLO 5657)
Location - Varkala (Kerala)

I still remember vividly the column-mounted gear liver, the stamp-sized gas pedel, the chrome horn ring, the chromium ornament on the hood (my eyes were always on it while driving)...

At the age of 8, I used to shift gear whle my driver did the rest on the way back from my School in Jubilee hills, hyderabad.

At the age of 12, I learned to do everything myself from my driver, in a 118ne, but my parents later found out, and I was given a ticking off.

At the age of 14, I once again took to the wheel in a Peugeot 309. I remeber being surprised at the power. This time my driver himself told me to be patient and wait until I am 18. And I havent driven a car ever since!! Only one more year to go!!!!

Age - 15.5
Tutor - Uncle, then driving school who got me my licence at age 16 (gotto love our country!).
Car - M800 old shape
Location - Bombay Race course road.

Man it felt good...like a prisoner being freed after a 15 year sentence.

Age - 16
Tutor - My chauffer
Car - Volkswagon Golf Gld
Location - worli sea face and on way to school early morning