Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2009, 22:27   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am waiting eagerly to meet the first "civilised" cop...........
No Oxymorons please
Old 25th November 2009, 04:09   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin82 View Post
No Oxymorons please
I have a close friend of mine, who refuses to be corrupt, refuses to tell lie and refuses to manipulate a given situation to his benefit. Call it innocence or stupidity, but this is for real.

The guy is retiring next year - joined the forces as a constable and is retiring as a head constable.

I have great respect for him. He has no regrets about his being a honest cop, and tintin82, this is not an oxymoron.

Sadly such cops are few and far between.

Rajan
Old 25th November 2009, 05:07   #48
BHPian

Man, my heartbeat went really up as I was reading your post. I can't resist say "That's a man" but in the same breath I would say "Be very careful". Don't ever take a chance with the cops - they have nothing to care for and by and large they are not compassionate.
Several years ago, when I was riding in an autorickshaw in Chennai, (along with my then-would-be-now-wife), our auto was stopped by a traffic sergeant under the Gemini fly-over. The driver, an old fragile man was almost in tears, for he realized that he had taken a wrong route inadvertently (there is, at least was, a very small stretch of one way). I went along with the rick-driver to the sergeant, who was a young chap. In spite of his pleas, the sergeant charged him (if I remember correctly some 50 rupees). I couldn't control my anger because we were just talking how carelessly and rashly the MTC buses were driven and I've never had seen any cop charging any MTC bus driver. I asked the sergeant why he had not cared to stop any MTC bus. To my surprise he was calm and with a smile on his face he explained why they can't stop MTC buses. But he did show me the register where he had noted down the MTC buses that were booked for flouting rules; he even had the time mentioned there. I was taken aback. Long story short - We shook hands and parted. My (now) wife gave me a big lecture for having done that in spite of her advise. Now, I realize for my safety and well being I shouldn't have had done that. What could have had happened if there was another cop of the usual kind we see! (Maybe years added to my wisdom? - donno!)

By the by,
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
I got the conversation taped and sent it to the commissioners office by email mail (its still on you tube) and as expected no action was taken.
- post the link please.

Stay cool and bold. Wasn't I equivocal?
Old 25th November 2009, 08:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
Man, my heartbeat went really up as I was reading your post. I can't resist say "That's a man" but in the same breath I would say "Be very careful".
Not to worry on that count. I know him for the last 22 years and I am almost like a family member in his house. I am one of the very few outsiders that his wife comes and greets without her burkha. That should speak volumes of the kind of trust and relationship we share.

As far as I am concerned, he is my friend first and cop next.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 25th November 2009, 12:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
It really saddens to hear my towns cop have behaved this way to you.

You have managed out of the situation in the right manner and that's exactly what you need to do, at least in TN.

I would be more than happy to help you next time you are around this side and face similar issues. By the way its Coonoor.
I Heard the current police chief of coonoor , Mr. Dharmaraj is a very strict person and that using influence with him also doesnt work. Heard that he is especially strict when it comes to DUI.
Old 25th November 2009, 12:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I Heard the current police chief of coonoor , Mr. Dharmaraj is a very strict person and that using influence with him also doesnt work. Heard that he is especially strict when it comes to DUI.
He is the Dy SP of the Nilgiris. I agree he is doing a good job but not perfect in all ways.
Old 25th November 2009, 13:41   #52
J.Ravi

More than 10 years back, I was driving in my Maruti Omni with my family from Rameswaram to Tiruchendur in Tamil Nadu on a deserted and pot-holed road on Diwali eve. We had to pass through a police check-post, specially erected to curb the movement of LTTE, where there was no human habitation and no other vehicles. The police constable on duty there demanded diwali tip from us, for which I replied that for having travelled in that third-rate pot-holed road, we were to be tipped not him! He just laughed away and let us proceed without any monetary loss!

A few years back, we were doing a night journey from Bangalore to Chennai on NH 4 in my Maruti Suzuki Versa. A police constable at AP check-post demanded money. I refused to pay stating that mine was a private vehicle and I had all the documents. By that time, his colleague came to my rescue and allowed us to go. Perhaps, the first constable mistook my Versa for a taxi and demanded his share!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 25th November 2009 at 13:43.

Old 25th November 2009, 13:41   #53
BHPian

On my return trip from Dudhsagar the cop at the Cp asked me to stop , I stopped on the karnataka side of the border , saw him signaling me turn back , just at that moment a truck came in between us and he couldn't see me, I just made a run for it .
Most of the cops know that out of state vehicle drivers have no local contacts and the cops get away harassing us.
Old 25th November 2009, 14:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
If you drive in the southern districts close to the coast (say, the Ramanathapuram-Sikkal-Tuticorin-Tiruchendur-Kanyakumari road), all out-of-state cars (like mine) are stopped selectively, questioned on our LTTE credentials(!!!????), made to enter our horsoscopes (@#$%&*) in a register and reluctantly allowed through - not in one CP, but in 2 or 3!

And my documents were always in perfect order, and I was not speeding, drunk or breaking any road rules.

The true test of any State's cops is when you are driving an out-of-state vehicle.

...and I have been driving in TN since 1986.

I find it surprising that you should object or crib about something like this. Should it take a 9/11 for us to respect security services & work with them ? I wonder how this kind of talk finds itself in this thread about bad cops. TN has one of the best law enforcement in the country & it has it's fair share of corruption as well just like any other place in India.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

I was stopped twice by TN cops during my recent trip to Ooty and Kodai. The first time was before we reached Salem. The cops did not ask for any documents. One cop just looked at my license and entered all my details in a register and made me sign it. He were very courteous and addressed me as 'sir'. But he had a torrid time mastering my name!!!

The second time I was stopped before Upper Lake View in Kodai. The cop checked all my documents and let me go with a smile. I was stopped by a second cop at the same spot when I returned. I just told him that my documents were checked earlier. He let me go without creating a fuss.

My only bad experience was when the guard at Mudumalai reserve asked for twenty bucks as entry fees. I paid him to avoid any delay.

Two years back, I had to bribe a guard at the Karnataka border, when I was driving to Kerala from Goa. My only crime was that I had a bottle of Fenny, which I had purchased for my dad. The guard demanded 2000 bucks. Luckily, I had only 300 bucks in my wallet and I showed him. I flatly told him that I did not have anymore cash with me. He took the money and let me go with a warning not to show the bottle to any other policeman and to hide it.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 25th November 2009 at 18:39.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:10   #56
BHPian

There was a mini truck ahead of me and it was crawling as it was loaded. I had no choice but to follow the truck.
At a signal, while the signal was green the truck moved on about 100 meters and stopped. After this I think the signal became Red.

I could not understand why it stopped. I honked a few times and there was no response of movement from the truck, I was patiently waiting for him to move so that I can go ahead.

After a minute or so, the truck moved to the side to give me way and as I was overtaking, a constable appeared and stopped my vehicle and asked me to park it on the side a little ahead of the truck. Then I saw that there was an inspector as well. Now I realised why the truck stopped after crossing the signal.

I went and asked the inspector why was I stopped. The inspector replied pay 100 Rs as you have jumped the signal. I told him that I was right behind the truck and the signal was green while the truck and I crossed it. He was just not willing to listen to me. He insisted that both the truck and I have jumped signal and I pay the fine. I realized there is no point in trying to explain him, I just paid collected the receipt and moved on.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:39   #57
BHPian

I had a bad experience in Rajasthan in 2005. Not one but two instances. We had bought my dad's Getz recently and had set out for a short Rajasthan tour. We were on Jaipur by-pass to head in the direction of Bharatpur when the check post cops stopped us. They said we did not have seat belts on. I never expected that in Jaipur of all places. I tried to talk some sense into him but he just did not agree without 100 rupees.

After a couple of days, we were about to get back into Haryana from the Rajgarh border when the check post cops there stopped us. Their line was this is a new car and we should treat them. Once again, we had to part with another 100 bucks
Old 26th November 2009, 19:29   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
They said we did not have seat belts on. I never expected that in Jaipur of all places. I tried to talk some sense into him but he just did not agree without 100 rupees.
Sorry, I didn't get it - did you indeed not have seat belts on?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks