Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:05   #1

Footpath riders

Can we at TEAM BHP do something about this? Footpath driving riding is becoming a menace worse by the day and looks like the cops are turning a blind eye as well.
Recently I had seen a uniformed Indian Airforce Military Police Bullet riding on the footpath along MG Road (Utility Building area)
Same day I had parked my car in the Utility Building and was working on the footpath with my kid when a Sumo suddenly swerved onto the footpath. I rapped his car and he stopped. When I asked him what he was doing he said he had to take the next left. When I reminded him that this was a footpath and that he almost hit my child, he started hurling abuses at me. And of course our citizens or netizens in the peak traffic was watching it all and without the power to react.
I did not want my kid to hear what that low-life was saying and simply moved on.
I think we should bring this to the attention of the commissioner. They should rap these drivers with the same gusto they handle the red light jumpers these days. Some folks even blatantly park on the footpath and the pedestrian has to walk on the road! Or maybe we can launch an education drive at peak traffic areas
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Well, I tried this!

We need harsher punishments
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

As Ajmat mentioned, with harsher punishments such things can be stopped.

Bangalore traffic is getting messier as the day goes!
Old 23rd August 2009, 17:16   #4
BHPian

Rather than harder punishments we need the educated people to react to these kinds of activities. I have come across so many instances in Bangalore particularly near Marathalli bridge. I have seen many office goers (read it as software engineers) driving on the footpaths. It is really a sorry sight.
Old 23rd August 2009, 17:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Rather than harder punishments we need the educated people to react to these kinds of activities. I have come across so many instances in Bangalore particularly near Marathalli bridge. I have seen many office goers (read it as software engineers) driving on the footpaths. It is really a sorry sight.

With the current infrastructure so bad in B'lore any disciplined person will loose his cool stuck in the traffic over a period of time. This daily frustration leads to act like driving or riding on the footpath.

This behavior is so common in Banerghatta Rd just opposite to Subramanya arcade. Lots of people ride on the footpath right in front of JalBhavan and i personally have seen even the cops do the same. Unless the traffic condition improves and unless we have traffic which flows i guess thing like this will continue to happen.
Old 23rd August 2009, 18:44   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
With the current infrastructure so bad in B'lore any disciplined person will loose his cool stuck in the traffic over a period of time. This daily frustration leads to act like driving or riding on the footpath.
Very true. However I am flabbergasted when I see educated people doing this. I am stunned to see people, who work is good software companies do these, honking horn even if you are late to move your bike or car by one second. Driving on footpaths, showing no mercy towards humans. Have we become so restless and impatient? We are by all means passing these kinds of unwanted behaviours to our next generation as well.
Old 23rd August 2009, 19:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its sometimes hilarious to see two wheeler riders on footpaths honking at the pedestrians (startling them) to give them way as if they own the footpath

Last edited by for_cars1 : 23rd August 2009 at 19:54.
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Happens a lot of times on NH-24(near Ghaziabad)

Especially when the traffic on the other side of the road is moving slowly, bikes just start riding on the footpath of the opposite side.

even if one of them loses control and falls on the road for some reason, death is imminent!(by oncoming traffic) :(

Quote:
I had parked my car in the Utility Building and was working on the footpath with my kid when a Sumo suddenly swerved onto the footpath.
Whoa! Sumo is one huge vehicle for a footpath to accommodate!
Old 23rd August 2009, 22:26   #9
BHPian

Like how Prashul mentioned, if I am walking, I usually give them a piece of my mind, but then again they need to understand what is right and what is wrong. Its just that common sense is so uncommon among them.

Is there anything we from Team-BHP can do?
Old 24th August 2009, 06:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
Is there anything we from Team-BHP can do?

Well all we could do is stop driving or riding on the footpath if we ever do
Old 24th August 2009, 06:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

This was one thing I was literally hoping 'would happen' during my trip to B'lore in June. Having read numerous accounts, and a fair amount of experience with these 'footpath heroes' myself, I was eagerly looking forward to an encounter with such individuals who think the footpath is the 2nd road to 2-wheelers. Unfortunately, no such experience happened.

Its a good thing you decided to walk away,prashul. Not only good for you, it was even better for you child not to have to listen to things he/she ought not listen to for the next 15-20 years.

Talking about things in B'lore, the lesser said the better. The cops are a bunch of useless individuals, the auto drivers a bunch of thugs,and the general public a whole lot of good-for-nothing characters.

Trust me,nothing can be done to change things. For us hardcore Bangaloreans, its a pain to watch the city literally degrade this way. If only there was a way to get back the old Bangalore ( and not Bengaluru, or anything on the lines of it!).
Old 25th August 2009, 00:35   #12
BHPian

i caught a guy once in Koramagala Signal In front of the temple. He was coming opposite side of me In the footpath. When I asked him why he is driving in Footpath in my broken Kannada he was yelling on me. My friend gave him properly in local language.
Another time one of my friend (Soft Prof) got caught by police in the same place and had to pay 600/- court fine.
I also think that Parking the car on the footpath is same offense as driving. People had to walk on the road though there is a footpath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
If this people are so frustrated then should not drive on the road. For your frustration you can harm some other person. I do have to drive in every day 30KM for my office. If you are on the road I think we should have at least this common sense of driving. Lets ask this same people how they do behave when they go to onsite. If they can follow the rule their then why not here. This are very basic common sense...

Last edited by Rehaan : 25th August 2009 at 23:06. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
If this people are so frustrated then should not drive on the road. For your frustration you can harm some other person. I do have to drive in every day 30KM for my office. If you are on the road I think we should have at least this common sense of driving. Lets ask this same people how they do behave when they go to onsite. If they can follow the rule their then why not here. This are very basic common sense...
Arin, apparently this is how things work out in India. Frustrated people would still continue using the road for their daily commute and i don't think there is any ways we can stop them . What really can be done is to reduce the frustration level by providing better roads and infrastructure.

Now coming to folks following rules outside India, the answer is quiet simple...we have to..the law is strict and we just cannot get away from it. Out here we all know how to get away from the law and probably we would know that even better than our traffic rules..well Almost !!
Old 26th August 2009, 13:23   #14
BHPian

When i was new to B'lore , was horrifed to see people riding on footpaths , cutting into bus shelter , literally harrasing pople walking on footpaths and forcing them onto roads . Now i see the same happening in hyderabad , utter disregard for rules and lack of common sense. I think police should impose heavy fine and maybe seize such vechiles. Also IMO the local corporation should raise the footpath level by atleast 2 ft to discourage misuse.
Old 26th August 2009, 13:27   #15
BHPian

I have a confession to make. On one occasion I myself rode the Bull on a footpath. It was a desperate move that thankfully did not inconvenience any pedestrian (there were none), or fellow motorist. I was forced to do it to avoid the mess in the middle of the road. A garbage dumper had panic braked, and spilled a load of refuse on the road, part of it on the alto's bonnet and windshield right behind it. There was a verbal altercation between the alto guys and the dumper chaps. There were onlookers on the road blocking traffic and no way to navigate around them. I've not done this since, and probably wont if it inconveniences anyone. But I will if the situation demands it.

Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks