Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 17:43   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Buses and autos. Lack of Road-sense in these two are No.1 causes of all traffic woes, and No.2 is absence of traffic discipline in two-wheelers.
I fully agree with this..

In Bangalore-Hosur Road, the buses still stop on the middle lane, even though there are bus bays made on most of the bus-stops. Sometimes there will be a traffic constable at the bus stop, but the drivers don't care.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post
Sometimes i imagine a picture when everything in our cities would come to a grinding halt, not just traffic but all resource and amenities,
when the capacity of all our system's in place would simply prove insufficient for the mass that we are.
When all the measures to accommodate the ever going expansion would simply fail and result in a complete collapse, a total breakdown ..
maybe im just over thinking.
sorry for going OT.
No, this is precisely the topic, and one that will be one for a long time to come in India till we succeed or fail as you have graphically described. The road widening in the cities is taking attention away from what is needed to be done and now the Home Minister is talking of the challenge that India has to overcome is the transfer of three to four hundred million people from the villages to cities - both existing and new. If you are overthinking now, imagine that!! Leave apart the question of what these millions will do for a living.
The thing is, Indian companies also are a part of this spiral. I lived in Bangalore for a spell, and the IT companies used to get all the attention complaining about infrastructure issues not allowing them to grow. The governments response to look to grow in Mysore was not very convenient to them because they wanted to grow in a city with all the conveniences. It is not that in Mysore these would not be there at all, but to reach the Bangalore level, it would have to go hand in hand with the growth of the businesses there, which did not seem to make sense to the IT CEOs, who kept threatening to move their growth out of Bangalore. What the government could never tell them was, please do so, we cannot provide any more infrastructure in this location. This was before the recent road widening and tree cutting spree in downtown Bangalore, so maybe something has changed in the last two years, and Bangalore is to see more growth till the city center is clogged once again. While, to the best of my knowledge, Mysore languishes.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:46   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The thing is, Indian companies also are a part of this spiral. I lived in Bangalore for a spell, and the IT companies used to get all the attention complaining about infrastructure issues not allowing them to grow. The governments response to look to grow in Mysore was not very convenient to them because they wanted to grow in a city with all the conveniences. It is not that in Mysore these would not be there at all, but to reach the Bangalore level, it would have to go hand in hand with the growth of the businesses there, which did not seem to make sense to the IT CEOs, who kept threatening to move their growth out of Bangalore. What the government could never tell them was, please do so, we cannot provide any more infrastructure in this location.
Are you asking the IT companies to move out of Bangalore to some villages? IT companies need an eco system which is hard to get in smaller towns and villages. Also think about the eco system for employees who need housing, schools, golf courses, gyms...
Old 25th August 2009, 18:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Also think about the eco system for employees who need housing, schools, golf courses, gyms...
Biggest item in the ecosystem being an airport for connectivity to rest of the world.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:14   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Biggest item in the ecosystem being an airport for connectivity to rest of the world.
Not really. If Airport is within 100kms, it is manageable. But nobody can move into places without housing and schools nearby.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:16   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Also think about the eco system for employees who need housing, schools, golf courses, gyms...
Mysore does has the ecosystem anybody needs.
Quote:
Just add 2hours to your travel plan & voila, Mysore has International airport connectivity !!

The reason why Bangalore scores over Mysore is the availability of skilled man power. I am talking skills required to execute a project successfully.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really. If Airport is within 100kms, it is manageable. But nobody can move into places without housing and schools nearby.
An airport within 100 kms would be an airport of that city only. My house is 50 kms from BIAL. I consider that as "not very far". Most international airports are roughly 50 kms away from the city centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Just add 2hours to your travel plan & voila, Mysore has International airport connectivity !!

The reason why Bangalore scores over Mysore is the availability of skilled man power. I am talking skills required to execute a project successfully.
2 hours? LOL. It takes 2 hours to get to the airport from my place. 2 hours from Mysore to BIAL is very very far away.

And majority of the skilled manpower that is available in Bangalore now has come from outside Bangalore.

Last edited by amitoj : 25th August 2009 at 19:20.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:36   #38
BANNED

Quote:
2 hours? LOL. It takes 2 hours to get to the airport from my place. 2 hours from Mysore to BIAL is very very far away.
If San Francisco (airport) to Bangalore (home) takes 26 hours, you can do San Francisco (airport) to Mysore (home) in 28 hours.
Quote:
And majority of the skilled manpower that is available in Bangalore now has come from outside Bangalore.
People from outside have made Bangalore the destination of skilled manpower.
Quote:

Last edited by diabloo : 25th August 2009 at 19:41.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:57   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An airport within 100 kms would be an airport of that city only. My house is 50 kms from BIAL. I consider that as "not very far". Most international airports are roughly 50 kms away from the city centers.
We are not talking about mega cities here. We are talking about moving IT companies to smaller cities and towns. In such places 100Kms radius can cover multiple districts. For example, mangalore airport caters to people from 3 districts and even northern parts of Kerala within 100 kms. And 100Kms can be done in 2 hours easily.
Old 25th August 2009, 19:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If San Francisco (airport) to Bangalore (home) takes 26 hours, you can do San Francisco (airport) to Mysore (home) in 28 hours.
Again, the assumption that it will take 2 hours from Mysore to BIAL is highly optimistic. Ground reality is that it will take nothing less than 4 hours.
And then, Blore - Delhi takes 2.5 hours. Imagine travelling minimum 4 hours to catch a 2.5 hour flight. Mysore - Bangalore - Mumbai scenario is even worse!!

Quote:
We are not talking about mega cities here. We are talking about moving IT companies to smaller cities and towns. In such places 100Kms radius can cover multiple districts. For example, mangalore airport caters to people from 3 districts and even northern parts of Kerala within 100 kms. And 100Kms can be done in 2 hours easily.
And we are not talking about purely domestic airports either. IT companies are heavy users of international airports. And IT employees are heavy users of their domestic terminals

Last edited by amitoj : 25th August 2009 at 20:03.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

Matrix anyone?

I can't help but somehow be reminded of the words Agent Smith tells Morpheus in the Matrix...

"I'd like to share a revelation I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to another area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague..."

Sorry for going OT there but well, we seem to be a virus. We think that its all about survival of the fittest, strongest, richest and fastest.
But wonderful topic and will post more appropriately the next time...
Old 25th August 2009, 21:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of course, but Mysore is a great place to start and then scale up as skills are built and industry also has to go the extra mile to do so. Many times the problem is that senior management is not willing to leave Bangalore and move! Industry also loves to talk about private public sector partnership, but does not want to make all the moves involved. In our personal lives - in Pune at any rate - we are willing to buy apartments in places that are not fully developed, but are affordable, and are willing to put with the inconveniences for a few years till the infrastructure catches up. It would take similar hardships, but it will get another place to come on the growth path, taking the load off Bangalore. And of course, such examples must be there in other parts of the country as well.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:52   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Again, the assumption that it will take 2 hours from Mysore to BIAL is highly optimistic. Ground reality is that it will take nothing less than 4 hours.
Mysore to NICE road: 2 hours (120KM)
NICE road to Airport: 1 hours (55KM)
Ok. With current infrastructure it takes 3 hours.
Quote:
And then, Blore - Delhi takes 2.5 hours. Imagine travelling minimum 4 hours to catch a 2.5 hour flight. Mysore - Bangalore - Mumbai scenario is even worse!!
BTW, travel time in Bangalore to Chennai flight is just 30 minutes.
Quote:
And we are not talking about purely domestic airports either. IT companies are heavy users of international airports. And IT employees are heavy users of their domestic terminals
Pune is linked Internationally to Dubai & Singapore. For others cities, its 4 hour journey to Mumbai. But still is one of the favored IT destination.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague..."

Sorry for going OT there but well, we seem to be a virus. We think that its all about survival of the fittest, strongest, richest and fastest.
But wonderful topic and will post more appropriately the next time...
Look forward to more controversy. Don't leave out the Gaia hypothesis!
Old 25th August 2009, 22:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mysore to NICE road: 2 hours (120KM)
NICE road to Airport: 1 hours (55KM)
Ok. With current infrastructure it takes 3 hours.
BTW, travel time in Bangalore to Chennai flight is just 30 minutes.Pune is linked Internationally to Dubai & Singapore. For others cities, its 4 hour journey to Mumbai. But still is one of the favored IT destination.
3 hours is still optimistic.

I did not mention Chennai because driving to Chennai is more feasible and predictable than taking a flight. And most people now prefer to drive to Chennai than to catch a flight.

Maybe the weather in Pune and Bangalore also has some role to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Many times the problem is that senior management is not willing to leave Bangalore and move
Last i heard, it was the major tax breaks being given to the companies for setting up shop in Bangalore that made it lucrative (maybe most of the land in and around these business parks was owned by politicians (which is ofcourse speculation)). It would be unreal to expect the companies to let such an advantage go by.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks