Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 01:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Someone borrowed my bicycle when I was younger, told me he would be back in 10 minutes. I ended up waiting 1 hour, so when he came back I punched him and since then have never lent anything to anyone.
bigman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:27   #62
BHPian

I had the RX-100 while at college way back in 1993, friends used to take it abuse it many a times but no damage until my very close friend has a bad accident on it, he is injured and the bike is in pretty bad shape, from not even a single scratch on the tank it went to look like it was infected with leprosy. In 1999 I am Gujurat working and am at a client place, my half brain roomie takes the bike to A'bad while coming has a very bad accident with a broken shoulder and the pillion with a broken leg and my bike badly damaged. Both times my friends ensured the bike was repaired serviced and back in good condition before they returned it to me.

Fast forward 2002 My two month old Santro was taken by another of my close friends to well take this GF out, get a call around 5ish in the evening that he has had a minor accident and the car wont move and he is stuck at Bellandur lake , well the car never came back to its best shape and the cost of repairs was Rs. 1,10,000.

Till date we are still close friends and we do often take each others cars whenever required, but never given my car or bike to an acquintance.

I do love my car n bike but mistakes do happen and you cannot put money or earthly possessions before ur friendship thats the way I am and thats the way it will be.
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:55   #63
BHPian

I always treat others car with utmost respect while driving them. Infact I am very conscious and aware of the fact that this is someone else's ride and their love for it. Known to be a very careful and level headed driver, my friends trust me with their cars. But I never have had the need to ask for them. Have only driven them when being a designated driver after parties or on long road trips, with the owner in the car.

As for my car, only a few close friends get to drive it.

And I hate people who take away cars with a tankful of fuel and don't bother to fill up while returning it. GRRR!

Last edited by iceman7 : 3rd September 2009 at 13:58.
Old 3rd September 2009, 13:56   #64
Senior - BHPian

^^ Need more guys like you dude.
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:09   #65
BANNED

This was like 2 years ago but I can never forget it. Me and my office team mates were on a trip to Nagarhole from Bangalore on 2 cars. My Cielo and a Swift petrol. The person driving the Swift was my team lead who was known for his rash, fast and careless driving.
We had crossed Mysore and the road was beginning to worsen due to road construction.
At a chai stop he asked my car keys for a while. I usually do not lend it to anyone as it is a very old but well maintained car and I have a lot of emotions to it, yet I somehow gave it to him.

I began to drive the Swift carefully over the broken road and suddenly I see my Cielo overtaking me at atrociously high speeds on that broken road with two wheels on the road and the other two on the bank.
At that instant, a wheel cap flew off the rear left wheel and landed somewhere in the vegetation.

That was it. I asked him to stop immediately and took my car back from him. I was able to locate the wheel cap but it was broken. The car had also developed a few rattles. In spite of this, many in the car were appreciating his "rally like" driving skills.

Love and emotion for cars/bikes is a rare trait these days. Sob....
Old 3rd September 2009, 14:56   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
.......In spite of this, many in the car were appreciating his "rally like" driving skills.......
Their Mouth's may have spoken the words "appreciate, great, etc" - Did you manage to check their "Patella" vibrating like mad.

They must be talking like that for 2 reasons
1) To have cheated death closely
2) Did you say the moron was your TL? Appraisal's of course...

Old 3rd September 2009, 15:36   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Their Mouth's may have spoken the words "appreciate, great, etc" - Did you manage to check their "Patella" vibrating like mad.

They must be talking like that for 2 reasons
1) To have cheated death closely
2) Did you say the moron was your TL? Appraisal's of course...

Wahahahha vibrating Patellas (knee cap). You snatched words from my mouth but put them in a better jovial way. Nice one.
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Years back there used to be a forwarded e-mail with Subject " 20 Katu par satya "

One of the the katu satya ( bitter but truth ) was " Biwi aur gaadi doosre ke hawale karoge to thok ke hi lautayega"

Well indecent but quite true
Old 12th September 2009, 19:46   #69
BHPian

I have 2 cars Opel Corsa and M-800, both in showroom condition, but I never give my cars to anyone, because I believe when we travel at speeds of 90-100 kmph on the highway, the vehicles need to be in superb condition. Some people feel its bravery to race in 5th gear on potholed roads. The most irritating factor is sqeaks and rattles, from suspension, bumper locks or some plastic fixtures. Though friends and relatives grumble over my slow and cautious driving, I continue to respect my cars and treat them well. Whenever I drive my parents' car, I make sure I use it with care.
Old 12th September 2009, 22:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

i think there are many who make comments when someone shows possessiveness about there vehicles. the attitude is "mera kya jaata hai" anyhow if anyone has problems with my possessiveness towards my vehicles ... i just ask them to "blep blep blep"
Old 13th September 2009, 10:15   #71
Senior - BHPian

i never allow any of my friends or relatives to borrow my vehicle. if at all they do drive, its only when i accompany them & under my strict scrutiny!
Old 27th October 2009, 11:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Driving is a passion.
Cars and bike are a part of life.

I feel that they are as much alive as my beating heart.
If someone uses it roughly, my heart pains.

And to save my own flesh from the pain, I have made it a point to never share the vehicle, however close someone may be.

The only person who can ever touch the vehicle is my trusted mechanic to check that everything is all right with my other heart!!!
Old 4th December 2009, 22:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

One more post to the thread...

4-Dec-2009
1800Hrs

SMS from Friend.1 (F1)
F1 : 'Where Are You'
Me : At Hme @ Bangy (Why?)
F1 : Err, Do you know someone 'mechanic' in Hosur. I am @ Bangy now...
Me : Yes, whats up.
F1 : F2 will call you soon.

1830Hrs
F2 : Dai, do you....
Me : Ok, ok I was expecting you, wassup.
F2 : I was enroute to Chennai, stopped @ BP Ghar after Hosur... After "REFUELLING-RESTARTING-DRIVING 10MTS" the Ikon "FLAIR" Stopped.
Me : You did'nt fill Diesel........ Did you........
F2 : Yes, why!!!!!!!!!!!!

1845HRs
F1 : Did you help F2
Me : Yes da, wait - all help over phone, mechanic is rushing... why are you so bothered.
F1 : It is my CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

ME :

~2100Hrs
  • Qualis Taxi sent to GHAR to pickup family to Chennai (from Hosur)
  • Tow M800 (Yes, thats the best I cld manage) sent to tow the car back to Hosur garage.
  • Me called F1 and said all taken care of. You can visit the Mortuary Errr... Garage tomm to pay your respects/Err - The bill.
  • F2 with a red face- on the way to Chennai.
End of Day.
Tank full of diesel/petrol combo - 1200Rs
Qualis ride to chennai - 4000Rs
Towing/Cleaning charges (estimate) - 2500Rs
Me spending evening on Local/STD - 100Rs

Writing a post in this thread and seeing you think/smile - Priceless!!!

Last edited by svsantosh : 4th December 2009 at 22:33.
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 19:03   #74
BHPian

Lending Your Car to Someone You Know...

I am not sure if this is the right forum to talk about this. If not, please feel free to move the thread to the appropriate forum.

Have you ever faced pressure from your close relatives or friends to "lend" your car to them for a trip? How do you deal with such requests?

For me, my car is an extension of my personality. Over the last one year, my XUV has become an integral part of my consciousness. It responds to me in a unique way. I know how to treat it. I know its shortcomings, its USP and I know exactly how much pressure should I put on the accelerator so that it doesn't feel strained.

At times when my brother drives it and tries to floor the pedals, I feel the pain. I feel for the XUV. At some level, we "talk" to each other.

Now, in comes a cousin with an atrocious proposal - that I should give them the XUV for a long drive (1200 kms trip). I have successfully thwarted such proposals in the past by stating various reasons. however, it has come to a point where my refusal would have a deep impact on the relationships and I had to give in.

They took the car and returned it after three days. When I drove it afterwards, I realized the seat settings (height etc) were different. What more? the height adjustment level had been harshly operated and stuck! I had to apply a lot of pressure on it to get it working again. The clutch doesn't seem very smooth now and the gear shifts seem out of ordinary.

But the most painful thing about this whole affair was the sentence spoken by my cousin after the trip. "Thank you for giving us the XUV. Had we taken our car, it would have come to pieces on those extremely bad roads."

And it is OK to drive my car on those roads?

I hope I don't get any such requests in future - because this time I am going to refuse outright. I don't care if it damages relationships.

Peer pressure and family pressure and requests like this - have you faced them? How do you deal with them?

And yeah. Let me say it up front ->
venuvedam is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 19:40   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lending Your Car to Someone You Know...

Empathize with your plight. It's a fairly regular occurrence for most of us. Not just lending cars but having to ferry passengers you don't want to.

Office colleagues/friends/relatives who fiddle with stuff, want to eat/smoke/drink in your car, don't want to wear seat-belts, don't want to close windows in dusty/smoky situations, the list is endless.

I've realized over a period of time that you need to draw a line somewhere, and just because the other person isn't mature enough to understand that you have the RIGHT to decide how your property is treated, you aren't obliged to give in to their demands.

The only person I share my car with is my dad. He's more of a fanatic than I am when it comes to general upkeep and periodic maintenance.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 4th November 2014 at 19:44.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks